Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » Product Reviews

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I believe the show is only available on Paramount Plus but is pretty good. I'm going into season two and have enjoyed. It is a lot better than I expected. Actually I am finding it quite good.

I'm not going to ruin it for anyone by giving any details but it is an alternate universe type thing like the 2009 Star Trek movie where Kirk's father dies at the beginning. Not that Kirk is in the show (at least not yet) but that kind of alternate universe thing.
:kirkspok:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

I watched the first two episodes of Season 2 last week -- love it! I delayed watching the 3rd episode since the Discovery finale was last week, but I plan to watch it soon.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:57 pm 

I sort of wonder who is going to win the 'streaming wars'. They can't all last in my humble opinion but then who knows? :dunno:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

There certainly are too many streaming services!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:41 pm 
welcoming committee

In the UK Star Trek: Picard is available on Amazon Prime, episodes are released weekly on Fridays, S2 ep4 is the latest episode available.

I kind of like it, i just wish Patrick Stewart was less theatrical with his acting style... i can't work out if it's his age that's causing him to act in that way or if it's by design?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:09 am 

sboots wrote:
There certainly are too many streaming services!

I agree Stephen, it would cost a fortune to take out all the ones going around and to think they all started out being included with the major TV providers.

But of course they didn't get as much money that way, I know let's split some of the channels into a hub and charge extra for it. :roll:

I have a Sky package, which of course has more channels than hours in the day, that needs a dish on the property to receive them.

The original start of a television service needed an aerial that was usually fitted to a chimney on your building, over time this had to be replaced by a different kind of aerial. There now comes the time when things went from analogue to digital and now streaming services which of course means more expense as you need special aerials if you want to receive the service. :shock:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:14 pm 

JoanA wrote:
There now comes the time when things went from analogue to digital and now streaming services which of course means more expense as you need special aerials if you want to receive the service. :shock:

Not sure exactly what you mean Joan. :dunno: Unless there is a difference in definition on our different sides of the pond "streaming services" do not need an antenna as they are provided through an Internet connection.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:54 am 

Sorry my bad Jay, got other things on my mind and wasn't thinking straight, although to be honest I wouldn't like to rely completely on wireless reception for my TV service. I know if my broadband goes down I can't get it in my bedroom as that needs the broadband to connect.

There are some of the new hub type services though that I think do need a special aerial.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:11 pm 

JoanA wrote:
Sorry my bad Jay, got other things on my mind and wasn't thinking straight, although to be honest I wouldn't like to rely completely on wireless reception for my TV service. I know if my broadband goes down I can't get it in my bedroom as that needs the broadband to connect.

There are some of the new hub type services though that I think do need a special aerial.

No worries Joan. :) I am curious though... Could you explain what you mean by "hub type services"? I'm not familiar with the term.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:46 am 

I've just had a look around and I think if you want to get Freeview over here that needs an aerial, one in good order and pointing in the right direction. I've got a Smart TV that has it included but would still need to have an aerial fitted to my property to receive the service.

I think you're right that other services are streaming and they are often called Hubs, like ITV hub and several others that have lots of channels grouped together.

There are quite a lot of these that started out being part of a Sky subscription if you had the full package. Then money comes into it and suddenly quite a few channels decided oh we want to bundle these few together to make people pay even more to watch television, Disney+ and Discovery come to mind, then you've got Britbox and Netflix etc.

Of course over here lots of people still have to pay an annual license fee to be able to watch the BBC side of things.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:33 pm 

Thanks Joan. :)

Board index » Our Community » Product Reviews