Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Of course the "knowing where I am" was a bit of a joke Patty. ;) My main reason is that I also like different themes. Call me crazy ( I do) but I like a different theme according to the use the system serves. On my media system running 8.1 I tend to like something really pretty. On the Win 10 side of the media system I would probably like something techy. On my laptop I also dual boot and like different themes there too.

I guess with me it is that I'm running 4 operating systems on two machines. Each has its purpose and has aspects that differ from the other three. Even though I can do anything that I do on any of the 4 installs I sort of tend to to use each boot according to my mood, different mood; different boot and theme.

Not going to be tonight but I NEED to lose this sync. Sigh, by today's standards I feel so old fashioned. Independantly there is zero data sync issue on either my media system or laptop as they share data partitions. Even my mail store is on the common data partitions so there is no need to sync data between the operating systems on each machine. I DO need to set up a sync between my media system and laptop as to their data partitions. Right now I just copy with replace by newest date in one direction and then do the same in the other direction through my local network. It is crude but does sync.

Sigh, some may call me a fool for sharing a data partition between operating systems on a machine but how long have I been doing multi boots? Shoot, I did my first when Win 2000 was current and have always shared a common data partition. I have NEVER lost anything by doing this. In my humble opinion it is the proper setup.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Feeling old fashioned? Heck I just got a new smart phone and went to a class on how to use it. Imagine that, a class on how to use a phone. Did I feel old or what? So there you go - for you it's sync, for me the idiot phone (which frankly is amazing).

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:11 am 
Fearless Leader

Yeah, I knew you were joking, Jay. On the data sync across OS'es, the most dangerous thing is sharing an Outlook .pst file. I've seen data loss from doing that many times.

You know, with Office 365, which now has a Personal version for $70/year btw, you get 1 TB of online storage on your OneDrive. That is completely awesome. I threw all my music up there as an additional backup. Photos too. Videos. Everything but documents. Wonderful.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:32 am 

Manny I don't even carry a cell phone.

Patty the danger with a PST file is one of the reasons that I use Live Mail. Also I don't use OneDrive at all. One must remember that I have a hosting service with unlimited storage. ;)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:57 am 

9879 is the latest build Jay and there's a couple of Windows Updates to do after as well.

I only did the upgrade yesterday and as I wasn't feeling that well didn't really do anything else apart from let it do it's thing. This was installed in my free version of VMware running on my 8.1 Asus Notebook.

I now need to see if I can install my copy of Office, it's the 2007 version, I have a spare license for that. I'm booted into it now so will see what happens. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:14 am 
Fearless Leader

I have a question about Windows 10. Does it use File Histories the same as Windows 8? In other words, will Windows 10 be able to restore files to it from an external drive with Windows 8 File History on it? Scenario being someone's Win 8 machine bites the dust and they get a new Win 10 machine. Can Win 10 restore the files?

I just had this happen with Windows 7 to 8. Windows 8 does not read the data backups made by Windows 7. I had to restore this person's data to a Win 7 machine, then do a Sync Toy backup to the external drive and then copy the data over to the new Windows 8 machine. We were lucky there was another computer right there I could use to do that.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:42 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Manny I don't even carry a cell phone.

LOL, Jay I bought my VERY FIRST smart phone just this past May, yes this old bugger held out as long as he could ... those little monsters are extremely addictive! :happy62:

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:35 pm 

I wouldn't have been able to wait that long to get one Acadia, it's a gadget and I love gadgets. :lol: I don't even really need one as I don't go anywhere but it's new technology and got to keep this old brain working somehow. :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:06 pm 

Actually I do have a cell phone as I needed one when I was at the VA facility. It now sits in my 'electronics closet' with my backup drives and other stuff.

Thanks for the current build number Joan. I thought such build updates were supposed to be automatic. I seem to remember in the agreement/instructions that they requested that the machine be left on all the time for just that purpose.

Sorry Patty, I can't answer the file history question. I do not do file backups just complete images of the OS and a 'raw' file copy of the data partition selecting to replace if newer. Well I also do an image of the data partition but go redundant with the straight file copy.

Just to throw out an early opinion... If MS offers a release price such as they did with Win 8 I will probably buy the thing. Not sure where I'd install it but would likely buy. It would probably go on my laptop... plenty of time to think that all out. Shoot, I may even continue the dual boot on my media system going back to Win 7 for media and having the Win 10 install for other stuff. After all, to be honest, I find myself not using my laptop that much unless I'm watching a movie or football game. With a 42 inch HDTV as a monitor my 'media system' has sort of turned into a 'general purpose system'.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:08 pm 

@ Joan, This seems sort of odd. I did a build update and was only taken to 9860, not 9879. I checked again in case they were incremental and one had to be done before another and nothing showed as available.

By any chance are you running Win 10 as 32 bit on your VM? I'm running 64 bit and it is possible that might be the difference.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I haven't been offered the new build yet. I have my settings for slow on the Preview builds, so that may make a difference.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:31 pm 

I also had mine set to slow but changed to fast to see what would happen, still not offered.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:29 pm 

I'm running the 64bit version because that's what my machine is running the 64bit version of 8.1.

I had mine set to slow and didn't get anything but changing to Fast and running the check for previews again showed I had the new version available.

I believe if you are set to Slow you have to wait until it's sent to you via Windows Update, if you go with the Fast setting you get the previews quicker but they could contain bugs.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:56 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
I believe if you are set to Slow you have to wait until it's sent to you via Windows Update, if you go with the Fast setting you get the previews quicker but they could contain bugs.

Spot on, Joan :)

Gabe Aul from Microsoft posted a blog entry on the MS site a few days ago listing some of the known problems and changes with Build 9879, and also how to obtain it.
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindow ... r-program/

Hope it helps.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:47 am 

Hmmm, sort of odd but then it is a preview release. ;)

Yesterday I did a build update and it took me to build 9860 not the latest build 9879. I changed the method from slow to fast and received error messages when checking for build updates. This morning I tried again still set at fast and all went well and I'm now on build 9879.

I should note that in both builds 9860 and 9879 my issue of only being able to open Word 2007 once is gone. Also I can now pin an Excel file to the task bar.

Another good thing is that Media Player can now play MKV files. MKV seems to be becoming more and more dominant as a video file format. There are still some glitches but it works.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:31 am 

I've not got round to installing my version of Office 2007 into 10 yet. Had a few problems getting out of it yesterday but not sure if it was due to the VM or the OS.

Glad to hear you managed to get the new build Jay.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:48 pm 

I'll probably not go to Win 10 for a while. No issues but there are no new builds planned until 2015.

All in all, at this point, I think Win 10 will be just fine.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:09 am 

Oh, I should add one complaint that I have. While Win 10 still offers the creation of a repair disk I could find no way to do it to a CD or DVD. It wanted to put it on a flash drive. I must say that I did not think to check after the latest build. Just saved this as a draft and went to Win 10. Same situation with the newest build, I can create a repair disk to a hard drive or flash drive but not optical media. Part of this is just a pain and part is dangerous. What happens if one chooses to create this repair disk on their data partition and they do not notice the warning that the process will DELETE ALL FILES from the destination?

Quite a while back there was a discussion here on a subject that I can't remember but I do remember making a post saying that it sort of seemed like MS was pushing away from the use of optical media. Likely it was along the lines of Win 8 not having the native ability to handle DVD playback. Will this be corrected by the time of the final release or is it another step to get rid of optical media?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:44 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm not entirely sure this is the correct place to post this as it isn't directly related to Jay's experience, however it does pose a couple of points worthy of discussion imho...

Will Windows 10 be a free update?
Microsoft could move to subscription-based system for Windows 10
Quote:
Microsoft COO Kevin Turner has sparked speculation that Windows 10 and future versions Windows could be sold as a rolling subscription, rather than a one-off software licence purchase.

Then later in the article above, which is the first I've heard of this happening?
Quote:
The announcement that Windows 10 Technical Preview users will be able to upgrade to the final release version at no cost would appear to back up the idea of Windows 10 being a free upgrade.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/operating-systems/1000149/will-windows-10-be-a-free-update

If this is correct and proves to be true then personally i'll be moving to Linux when Win7 reaches end of life... assuming of course that doesn't go the same way.
But by then, we might all have another, Chinese alternative ;)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:00 am 

I haven't received any info on this from Windows Insider. The free Win 10 would be nice if true but I haven't seen any proof that this will happen for Insider testers.

I can't say how I would go if Win 10 ended up being subscription based, really can't. I'm old school and want to pay once and have the danged thing. On the other hand I haven't heard a lot of complaints about the Office 360 which is subscription based.

I guess on the subscription idea it would depend on the yearly cost. If the pricing were to be where the yearly subscriptions for 3-4 years would about equal the cost of previously buying Windows outright I don't know how much I could gripe.

From previous experience I would never go Linux as my main OS. I ran Linux for years and have some complaints that I now refuse to deal with.

1) Last time I ran Linux the number of updates at least doubled that of Windows. I was running Ubuntu.

2) Do not EVER actually buy Linux software such as a game. Thankfully I didn't buy as it was a gift but I was given the game Decent 2 for Linux. Here comes a version upgrade that changes the kernel... The paid for game is now useless. I had Linux gurus on another forum try to help. It could not be made to work.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 pm 
welcoming committee

I guess all will become clear on Jan 21st, when MS will hold an invite only Press event at Redmond... though it will also be available via live webcast to the rest of us, see:
Quote:
Brandon LeBlanc
microsoft-logo_1Microsoft

The event is invite-only for press but we’ll have a live webcast for you to watch. Stay tuned for those details as we get closer to the event in January.,
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/12/11/join-us-to-hear-about-the-next-chapter-of-windows-10/

To elaborate on my distaste for subscription based applications... i want to pay for the OS and if i want better than the default then i will source an alternative.
That decision is nearly always based on price and functionality, e.g. Wordpad in Win7 doesn't always offer what i need, but MSOffice in any incarnation is overkill and hugely expensive for my needs hence i moved to OpenOffice a few years ago which is free and does everything i require of it.
At the other end of the scale is WMP in Win7, it is limited due to the default codecs but simply installing a free third party codec pack will unleash a lot more of WMP's potential, for those that want even more then there is free third party software such as VLC Player etc.

Now, imagine all the basic applications are stripped out of Win10 so we don't even get the basic default applications such as a browser, email client, calculator, disk defragmenter, media player etc and they are instead offered up as 'bolt-ons' at a cost for each one.
When A.N.Other goes into his/her local Computer Store, then on an annual basis the cost of a basic complete functioning OS as we know it today could potentially be astronomical by today's costs.

As for Microsoft's apparent madness driven drive to put everything 'in the Cloud', that's a disaster waiting to happen... as if enough alarm bells haven't been ringing about that strategy, then recent attacks by GOP which have forced Sony back to pen and paper surely should!!

Personally, i'll take my chances that my little corner of the internet is of no interest rather than being part of a massive conglomerate that everyone wants a piece of!

Touching briefly on my reference to Linux earlier, my first look at Linux was circa 1998 and if memory serves me correctly it was an early Red Hat(?)... that truly was a pig to get installed and set up, i pretty much had to write my own monitor driver just to be able to see the OS on my screen... a scary prospect because if i typo'd anything i could've fried my monitor, and they weren't cheap back then!!

I had another look at Linux a couple of years ago, Mint i believe? I was pleasantly surprised at how much the installation process had progressed but was still a little disappointed at the software available for the purposes i use my PC for... that and i was still on XP so Mint had a high benchmark to surpass.

Given that End of Extended Support for Windows 7 doesn't end until Jan 2020 there is still plenty of time for Linux developers to develop a credible alternative for people like myself who love the desktop version of Windows we know today without being forced into 'stuff' we really don't want nor need, at over inflated prices.

End rant and hope a lot of what i said proves to be wrong because i really have loved my ride with MS :)

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing