Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Creator Fall update
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:30 am 
welcoming committee

Did this yesterday and the same thing happened again. System restore was shut off and my sleep settings were messed with. Same as this thread 6 months ago.All restore points gone. The update took 2 hrs

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1611

WTF

Post subject: Re: Creator Fall update
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:49 pm 
welcoming committee

It seems when doing major updates, System Restore get turned off. I know on the Insider builds it is always off after an update. Only issue I am having is Edge seems to time out when I try to type a response in forums. I have to open IE to make a post. (Not just this site)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:00 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sleep being turned off I don't understand unless it precautionary to prevent a system from going to sleep during the upgrade. Even if that happened to be the case there are other ways to do it other than changing the setting.

Again I don't know but the system restore being turned off could possibly be due to old restore points no longer being valid. Again, even if that is the case, settings don't need to be changed, just delete the old restore points.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 pm 
welcoming committee

I had a restore point less than a week old. The update also messed up my Outlook 2003
Had to use the installation disk and a restart to fix Thought the reason for these updates is to improve things not screw things up

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:37 pm 
welcoming committee

My Outlook 2010 had to refresh itself too, but didn't need the disk. My Edge problems seem to be from a new version of my Antivirus that they just rolled out to deal with a blue screen issue after a new KB from the Fall update.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:10 pm 
welcoming committee

This will be of no use at all and most likely will annoy everyone in this thread... however this is exactly why I refuse to have Win10 on my PC, it's nothing more than a perpetual beta test in my opinion :evil:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:16 pm 

Can't say much about anything getting messed up with Office 2003 components as it has long ago reached end of life. In fact Office 2007 is also past end of life. Office 2010 is still supported for 'extended support' but main stream support is also past end of life.

Chas, even though you had a restore point only a week old does not really matter as to old restore points possibly no longer being valid. I don't claim to really understand system restore but THINK that a restore does replace a few system files. If these files are upgraded through the Win 10 upgrade it would make the restore point invalid. Regardless, even if this is true I see no reason to change system settings. Deleting the old restore points would seem to me to suffice.

Hmmm, I wonder if one were to revert to the previous version of Windows if the settings that are changed would again be active...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder if one were to revert to the previous version of Windows if the settings that are changed would again be active...

Maybe. I'm going to leave it alone

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 pm 

chasbox wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Maybe. I'm going to leave it alone

Oh, I'd leave it alone also. It was just a passing thought... ;)

I'm in the process of burning a DVD for the upgrade. I'll report back on what I see... :smash1:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:02 pm 

Hmmm, that was quick... The upgrade failed saying that "It couldn't update the System Reserved Partition".

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:36 pm 

All fixed and the upgrade took ~70 minutes. It must be understood that I would expect that my install time would be less as I use an M.2 drive for System.

The initial issue was that my 'System Reserved Partition' was too small and did not have enough free space to do what was needed. I just increased the size from 100 MB to 200 MB and all was fine. I go into this at the end.

Hmmm, My Sleep Mode settings remained the same with never when plugged in and 3 hours on battery. Please remember that, even though a tower, Windows thinks it is a laptop due to my battery backup.

System Restore was turned off.

OK.... The System Reserved partition... I suspect that the issue was caused by how new my hardware happens to be. Shoot, my mother board and CPU were not even available before toward the end of March 2017. The normal 100 MB System Reserved Partition would be the left most FAT 100 MB partition on the graph in Windows Drive Management. I just don't think there was enough free space to perform what was needed to be done.

So now I have a problem (not really but it sounds good. ;) ). I need to increase the size of this partition but can not do so in Windows Drive Management. The partition that needs increased is on the 'left' side of the graph. That means that I need to shrink the actual Windows 10 partition on the left side so I can increase the System Reserved partition. You just cannot do this in Windows Drive Management. You can only shrink from the right hand side of the graph.

Hello once again EaseUS Partition Master! It allows shrinking a partition from either direction. I shrunk the Win 10 partition by 100 MB then expanded the System Reserved partition to include this space making the System Reserved partition 200 MB. I MAY have been able to just wipe the original 100 MB System Reserved partition but felt that my method was safer. Bottom line is that it worked.

The only thing that really irks me is that all my quick launch icons are gone from my taskbar. At least everything remained cool with File Manager in the taskbar. I have I have many operational drives and folders pinned to File Explorer in my taskbar.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 pm 
welcoming committee

Sounds like a not enough free space in the system partition issue. Most of the solutions are resizing the partition, there are a bunch of results if you search it.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:41 pm 

dvair wrote:
Sounds like a not enough free space in the system partition issue. Most of the solutions are resizing the partition, there are a bunch of results if you search it.

No need to search as I already fixed. Yes, it was a size issue.

BTW, no issues with Office 365/2016.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:06 am 
Site Admin

My desktop has a 99 MB system reserved partition. We'll see how the update goes. It's pending reboot, and I am deferring it for now.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:23 am 
welcoming committee

Mine is 100 but there is also a system created hidden "Recovery Partition" that is 450.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
This will be of no use at all and most likely will annoy everyone in this thread... however this is exactly why I refuse to have Win10 on my PC, it's nothing more than a perpetual beta test in my opinion :evil:

I feel your pain, Doddie, still using Win7 myself. I've heard a lot and I do mean a LOT of neat things about Win10 ... but also too many questionable things. Sigh, still looking at an Apple iMac, if only they were not so #&*@U# expensive and on top of all that I would have to relearn security and backing up from square one. :smash1:

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:06 pm 

Noticed an oddity after the upgrade on my main system. My networking was broken. None of the syncs between my living room and bedroom were functional.

What struck me as odd is that all I had to do to fix was to enter the user log on for the bedroom system in a dialog on the living room system.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:46 pm 
welcoming committee

I noticed that the update changed one of my settings in the Advanced Sharing section. It checked to turn on password enabled sharing where I had all 3 of my systems set to off.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:46 pm 

Thanks David, I'm sure that the setting change you mention was the cause of my having to log in. I also had password turned off. Now the decide whether to leave the password enabled or turn back off. ;) I told the dialog to remember the log on so it probably does not make a lot of difference either way.

I just checked and was a little surprised that the password setting being enabled on my main system did not cause me to have to enter credentials on the bedroom system. I'm sure that I will after I do the upgrade on that system. Just started the install. I wonder if I'll have to enlarge the System Reserved partition... I'll know in a couple of minutes. Nope, didn't have to modify the partition.

I wonder if my having to modify the partition on my main was due to my drive setup. All of my internal drives, except for my system drive, are seen as USB drives by the system in my safely remove hardware dialog as shown below. One thing that makes me wonder about that being a possibility is that my system drive is not included in this. Also the bedroom system has the same safely remove system and did not have the issue. I almost wish the bedroom system had the issue as I' would have liked to try just formatting the partition instead of enlarging. Worst that could have happened is an image restore.
Attachment:
safely remove.jpg
safely remove.jpg [ 48.57 KiB | Viewed 14260 times ]

<edit>
Link to the USB Safely Remove system that I use.
http://www.safelyremove.com/index.htm

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:12 pm 

I just don't get it. Upgrade on the bedroom system is done and all I had to do was 're-scale' the display setting to match my HDTV. System Restore remained enabled and intact. I did not get prompted for network credentials and sleep mode remained disabled.

Yes, the upgrade was successfully installed. I am not getting fooled by a failed install and rollback.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:12 am 
welcoming committee

Couple of things.

1. Totally agree with Doddies sentiment. I see nothing gained in Win 10 to make the hassle worth it. Win 7 is working fine for me.

2. The question about reverting. If you use an excellent imaging program, you should be able to image a Win 7 system, then upgrade to the lastest win 10 and image that. Then you should be able to go back and forth by restoring an image.

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 pm 

I'm not sure that I would consider Windows 10 any real hassle. As far as the major build upgrades I don't really think that they are any different than previous Windows Service Packs.

Granted it is a little irritating that some settings are put back to default but that isn't too big of a deal. I do still have a Windows 7 image that I made before upgrading to Windows 10 but have never felt any desire to revert back. That should not be taken to imply that I there is anything wrong with Windows 7 as I also like 7. In fact I still run 7 as part of a dual boot on my laptop.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 pm 
Fearless Leader

Updated the Surface Pro last night, went like a charm - smooth and fast. Haven't played with it yet to really see what's new. Wasn't really interested in any of the features I'd read about; we'll see. Doesn't change my mind about Windows 10. Hate it, still recommend it because of security factors.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:02 pm 

I haven't been offered the upgrade yet and will just wait till I am before getting it, all our machines are running 10 here. Hubby wasn't that thrilled at first with 10 but he's come around now and I've found I don't have to go and help him find things or fix stuff since he got more into using it. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:20 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I'm not sure that I would consider Windows 10 any real hassle.

I'd imagine there is a large number of novices who might disagree with you if/when they run into an issue ;)

jaylach wrote:
As far as the major build upgrades I don't really think that they are any different than previous Windows Service Packs.

Except they are far more common, afict from the MS link below there have been 5 "versions" (including the initial release "version") plus circa almost 100 "build updates":

Windows 10 update history
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4043454

Admittedly, I wouldn't consider the 'build updates' as Service Packs but I would the 'Versions'... and there have been 4 of them in only 27 months.

What would be interesting to know is what percentage of Windows 10 users experienced issues after each build update, and/or version update... but I somehow suspect MS will keep those stats close to their chest, they surely must have that given the telemetry data that Win10 provides to them :twisted:

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing