Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: MS SQL Server???
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:31 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I have noticed a difference in my Win 10 installs between my desktop and laptop concerning MS SQL Servers.

Laptop:
Only instance is Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]

Desktop:
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]
Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 SP1 x64 ENU
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Management Objects
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Management Objects (x64)
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Transact-SQL ScriptDom
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 T-SQL Language Service

I actually think that these are all left overs from when I was actually running a local web server (Apache) to test sites before uploading but can't be sure. Since the sites being tested needed an SQL DB an SQL server would have been needed but I no longer do this stuff.

Are any of these actually needed for normal Windows 10 operation? The only programs that are on my desktop and not the laptop that are of consequence are Stardock, Battlenet and Steam.

The only real references that I've found are in relation to issues trying to install these servers in Win 10, not really anything as to if any are needed. Since what I'm seeing is issues trying to install server versions 5, 2012 and 2014 (2008 is not compatible with Win 10) it is my guess that they are not needed unless in the case of Battlenet and/or Steam.

Personally I figure that if I remove and there is an issue I'll just have to re-install whatever version is being requested but I'd like to know if anyone actually knows... Even if people running Win 10 could look at their Control Panel/Programs and features and see if there are any listings of Microsoft SQL Server it would be of help.

Of course the bottom line is that I could remove and test all software but that would take some time requiring me to shut down my daily image backup schedule. Just by what Programs and features reports these are taking close to 1 GB of a 240 GB SSD. I know that it is a minor space issue but would like to remove if possible.

Post subject: Re: MS SQL Server???
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:24 am 

Ruled out one aspect that I had not considered. I had not gotten around to installing Acronis True Image on my laptop. I have now done so and there are no new additions of SQL Server on the laptop.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:53 am 

Unless anyone has something they feel should be offered never mind. :)

I have enough memory and raw power to open just about everything at once... Not actually true as some games take a LOT of resources but not far off...

I opened everything that I suspected might use an SQL Server and then used Programs and features to attempt to remove all instances of the SQL Servers. All except for version 5 removed just fine. 5 refused to remove as it was said to be in use so I'll just let it be.

Actually I was a bit surprised at how well my system handled this. Here is what I had active at the same time.
Apache Air Assault
Combat Flight Simulator 3
MS Flight Simulator 10
Diablo 3
Expressions Web
Dreamweaver 8

Everything worked just fine without issue.

I wonder what it is about SQL Server 5 that seems to be needed but that's OK as I seem to have gotten rid of a lot of dead weight. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:25 am 
welcoming committee

If I remember right SQL server compact was installed with one of Microsoft's photo programs in the past.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing