Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:16 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm curious as to opinions...

I DO run XP Mode on my laptop mainly due to the version of Vegas Pro (audio editor) that I have.

Of course I would assume that with the XP end of life I will also no longer get such updates in XP Mode. I don't really consider this an issue but would not mind some feedback.

Here is how I see it:

1) Of course I cannot rely on getting updates from MS for the XP Mode virtual machine.
a) I really do sort of wonder if that is entirely true. When Windows 2000 reached end of life you still got critical updates for at least a year. Still I will go with the thought that I will get nothing.

2) I could be wrong but I would think that Security Essentials would still update.

3) Of course MBAM in the XP Mode is not an issue.

4) My thought is that with XP Mode there is not the same issue as with a machine that has XP as its actual OS. I would think that even though XP Mode is running in a virtual environment the Win 7 instances of MBAM Pro and MSE still are 'looking' at it. The worst case scenario that I would expect would be to right click on the virtual hard drive file once in a while and select to scan with MBAM and MSE.

I REALLY am curious about the thoughts of others on this.

Oh, BTW, my laptop's XP Mode is doing a final update install as I type. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

XP Mode is also at end of life and will be a risky proposition to use, just like XP.
MSE will continue to update definitions on XP through 2015.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/prot ... 2a49a11a22
XP is past the point of updates. What you are referring to for Windows 2000 end of life is what we're just now completing with XP. No more updates for XP.
The risk to the machine is somewhat minimized as it is a VM, but it is still a risk. Security of the host OS should prevent an exploit from entering the host and/or the network, but I would not count on it.
The same advice given for XP is valid for XP mode -- don't use it any longer. If you must use it, don't run as admin.
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:30 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
XP Mode is also at end of life and will be a risky proposition to use, just like XP.
The same advice given for XP is valid for XP mode -- don't use it any longer. If you must use it, don't run as admin.
-steve

Steve, I have three programs that won't run on any OS after XP, that's why I am using XP Mode. Unfortunately, the developers of these programs are no longer in business, so updates are impossible.

Is there a workaround to using these programs, i.e., some simple solution other than XP Mode?

In regard to your comment about don't run in admin mode. How do I know whether I'm running XP Mode in admin mode? And if I am, how do I change it?

Thanks in advance......... :?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:05 pm 
welcoming committee

You can make XP relatively safe with the right security apps. But that is not with MSE, but on top of MSE.

PM me if you want info.

Pete

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:50 pm 

Have you tried Compatibility settings on the programs when attempting to install in a newer OS? I mean running both the installer and the installed program with Compatibility settings.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:15 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Have you tried Compatibility settings on the programs when attempting to install in a newer OS? I mean running both the installer and the installed program with Compatibility settings.

No, I don't remember trying that. I'm embarrassed to say that these programs are almost 20 years old; the programs themselves are even contained on 3.5" floppies. But a compatibility reinstall directly under Win 7 is worth a try. Thanks......I will keep you posted.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:11 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I tried with Compatibility settings and still could not install the programs under Win 7. This may be because my Win 7 desktop is a 64-bit machine and the programs are 16-bit (really old).

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:02 am 
Fearless Leader

That is correct. There is no 16-bit support in 64-bit Windows. You might see if your programs have a 32-bit version?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:46 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
That is correct. There is no 16-bit support in 64-bit Windows. You might see if your programs have a 32-bit version?

Thanks for your confirmation regarding no 16-bit support.

For 3 of the 4 programs, the developers went out of business long ago, so there is no one to check with. For the 4th program (Calendar Creator), a later version does exist that will run under Win 7; however, they added so many unnecessary (IMHO) whistles/bells that I don't like this later version.

So I am sorta stuck using XP in Virtual mode. I'm hoping that Jay will get some encouraging security feedback regarding XP.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:07 pm 
welcoming committee

I ran the following on my XP machines as I do now on my win7 machines.

1. Emsisoft Internet Security. Optional if you have another firewall.
2. Sandboxie. Mandatory
3. Blue Ridge Networks Appguard. Mandatory
4. NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro. Antiexecutable. Optional
5. HitmanPro Alert Exploit Protection. Optional in XP mandatory

The beauty of Appguard is you can guard all the exe, relate to XP mode. It's memory guard will help isolate the XP mode.

Pete
WIth these programs you can run XP perfectly safely

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:53 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:

Really? That seems odd as I've run DOS programs in Win 7. It was a test to help out Gary W..

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:24 pm 
Fearless Leader

Not in 64 bit.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:42 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
Not in 64 bit.

OK, mayhaps my example was further back than I seem to remember. I haven't run 32 bit in MANY years.

Well, shoot... I run the game Baulder's Gate without issue and that was written back in the days of Win 2000 if not earlier. I can run this game in Win 7, 8.1 and 10... I'm just not sure that I understand this. If there is zero 16 bit support why would Compatibility Mode in Win 8.1 offer Compatibility to Win 95 and or Win 98. I can't imagine that either offered 32 bit support but could easily be wrong.

All systems I'm running are 64 bit and have been since well before I ever left Florida. While in Florida my Vista install was 64 bit. I haven't run 32 bit since XP was my main OS and that was in 2006/2007.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:50 pm 
Fearless Leader

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896458

And, btw, Windows 2000 was 32-bit and NT4 was 32-bit.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 am 

Oh, I didn't doubt you, I just don't understand. I will have to read the article later. I guess that Win 2000 would have had to be 32 bit or I don't think that NTFS would have worked. If not 32 bit it could not have broken the 4GB file size limit with NTFS.

The main question that I would have would be why Win 8.1 64 bit would offer compatibility all the way back to Win 95. I accept that Win 2000 was 32 bit but surely 95 was not. Not expecting you to lay all the answers in front of me. If and when I have time I will delve in to it and see what I see. :)

Just did a quick read and then a quick search...

Oh, shoot! Patty, I think that you are looking at an old article. Your link seems to point to an article dealing with 64 bit XP. Granted that 64 bit XP could not do much with 16 bit but MS fixed this if I read things correctly.

First, look here.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 56590.aspx
The title is "Optimize How Windows 7 Runs 16-Bit and MS-DOS-Based Programs". This is from TechNet Magazine.

A little further reading on other sites seemed to indicate that the actual issue is not the 16 bit program but rather the installer. While not in all cases, it would seem that in many, running the installer in compatibility mode will overcome this issue. One of the 'big tricks' is to cut the 'color level'.

Thinking about how long Gary W. has been away from these forums it HAD to be Win 7 that I tested his DOS programs. From what I can gather from the article that I linked Win 7 automatically creates a virtual environment when faced with a 16 bit application.

Granted that in many cases this is not a project for the novice such as this solution...
Quote:
I got it working by installing on 32-bit and then copying the sheridan registry key over to the 64-bit machine.

Here is another example, again not meant for the novice...
Quote:
In my case, the installation program was InstallShield 5.X. The issue was that the setup.exe program used by InstallShield 5.X is 16-bit. First I extracted the installation program contents (changed the extension from .exe to .zip, opened it and extracted). I then replaced the original 16-bit setup.exe, located in the disk1 folder, with InstallShield's 32-bit version of setup.exe (download this file from the site referenced in the above link). Then I just ran the new 32-bit setup.exe in disk1 to start the installation and my program installed and runs perfectly on 64-bit Windows

I guess all that I'm trying to say is that 16 bit programs were never the real issue. The issue was the installers.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:48 am 
Fearless Leader

No, you got that wrong, Jay. The 16-bit programs will not run. Yes, that reference mentions XP-64 bit, but I think also Windows 7. I'm not exactly sure what you were saying, but I think you implied that 16-bit programs run on 64 bit. That was never the case. Some 32-bit programs had 16-bit installers and so would not install and you needed to use workarounds - which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. But the program had to be 32-bit to run on 64-bit Windows.

Windows 95, believe it or not, was also 32-bit! I was thinking it was 16, but it wasn't. It had the FAT16 File System, but then with a service pack, I think, at least some sort of upgrade, it also did FAT32 File System. But the kernel was 32 bit. If you want a trip in the way-back machine, check this out! LOL Boy will it bring back (bad) memories! Man, people complain about how difficult computers are now - wow, that's nothing compared to the bad old days!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm 

OK, I'll take your word on it. ;)

Actually I never ran either Win 95 or 98 except in virtual machines to play. I went straight from 3.1 to 2000.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 pm 
Fearless Leader

Wow... you missed all the fun!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:41 am 

MacDuffie wrote:
Wow... you missed all the fun!

Just from playing in a virtual world I found 95 to be... can't say it as this is a family site. ;) 98 was interesting and, I think in the right direction at the time it was put out. Win 2000; second best OS MS has ever put out with only Win 7 ranking above in my humble opinion.

Still I guess that I probably did miss some fun but then I also had some fun. Around the time of 3.1 I wrote an entire Windowing OS in Assembly for another platform. It DID have some limitations such as only being able to have a max of 256 open windows at a time... ;) Hey, sorry for the limitation but it was only an 8 bit machine. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:32 am 
Fearless Leader

Yep, sounds like you did have fun. Ah... when computers were new! :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:21 pm 

The rest of this thread has been split to:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1261

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines