Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post subject: Resize VM
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:57 am 
welcoming committee

The Windows 98 SE that I set up on a Windows PC 2007 is set up to automatically expand but I am having trouble in that programs I am now trying to install say that there is no disk space left. There is a Wizard to edit the VHD but the option is to convert it to a fixed size and when you select that option, it allows you to save the current file or save it with a different name and location. Has anyone used this wizard before? If so, are you able to increase the size of the file upon completion of the wizard? The Windows 7 Pro computer that this is running on has over 300 gb of space left. I'm a bit confused as to how the auto expanding things works.

Attachments:
resize vhd1.jpg
resize vhd1.jpg [ 32.84 KiB | Viewed 7115 times ]
resize vhd2.jpg
resize vhd2.jpg [ 48.83 KiB | Viewed 7115 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Resize VM
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:37 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
With the size of 98 and the size of most software that would install the 16gig you have set up should be sufficient and then some.

Since I don't believe 16gig drives were not available in the days of 98 I have a hunch that the problem is actually that the drive is too large. The software looks for free space within a range and the actual amount of free space is outside of that range on the high side.

If you check properties for the drive how much free space does it show?

On the other hand I must admit that I've never used dynamic drives with a VM. From some reports that I've read they can be problematic.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
With the size of 98 and the size of most software that would install the 16gig you have set up should be sufficient and then some.

Since I don't believe 16gig drives were not available in the days of 98 I have a hunch that the problem is actually that the drive is too large. The software looks for free space within a range and the actual amount of free space is outside of that range on the high side.

If you check properties for the drive how much free space does it show?

On the other hand I must admit that I've never used dynamic drives with a VM. From some reports that I've read they can be problematic.

It shows 4mb. Also note that the VM Wizard selects the recommended size to be 16gb.....and running back through it again, I see no way to change that size

I spent all day today 11-18-2012 trying to figure this out and finally found a way to change the size and have Windows 98 accept a large hard drive. What I did was initially say in the setup Wizard that the OS would be Windows 98 but as you move along with setting it up, if you select Windows 98, you get that 16gb option, so what I did was select the Windows XP option which allowed me to select a larger 63 gb size for the hard drive. Once it was done and 98 was installed, I moved a ton of files over to the 98 hard drive from the Windows 7 Pro hard drive just to see what would happen.

You can see the results in the pic below. I also had something very funny happen in Windows 98 when I was transferring those files in that it gives you the minutes left before the transfer is complete. At one point it was over a million minutes but before I realized what it was saying, it went to a lesser amount and I was only able to get a screen shot of 769,703 minutes..........but if my math is correct, that computes to 12,828 hours and further on down to 534 days. Quite a long time to wait for a download :rofl2:

Attachments:
minutes.jpg
minutes.jpg [ 15.26 KiB | Viewed 7090 times ]
resize vhd5.jpg
resize vhd5.jpg [ 45.32 KiB | Viewed 7090 times ]
resize vhd4.jpg
resize vhd4.jpg [ 42.65 KiB | Viewed 7100 times ]
resize vhd3.jpg
resize vhd3.jpg [ 16.53 KiB | Viewed 7105 times ]
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:14 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
By your last screen shot your initial drive was not 16gig but rather only 2gig.

If you select to manually adjust the drive during setup you can set to any size you want.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:37 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:

If you select to manually adjust the drive during setup you can set to any size you want.

No, I believe that screen shot shows that the VHD is 16 gigs and Dynamic.
Windows 98, however, only sees 2 gigs.

If the drive is formatted as FAT or FAT16, that's the limit.
The drive needs to be FAT32. It is hard to tell what I'm seeing in the various screen shots. What are the properties for the Windows 98 HVD from within Windows 98?

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:55 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:

No, I believe that screen shot shows that the VHD is 16 gigs and Dynamic.
Windows 98, however, only sees 2 gigs.

If the drive is formatted as FAT or FAT16, that's the limit.
The drive needs to be FAT32. It is hard to tell what I'm seeing in the various screen shots. What are the properties for the Windows 98 HVD from within Windows 98?

-steve

The Drive is FAT32 from within Windows 98. Initially I set this up using the next to last picture but instead of getting the 16gb's that I thought I would, I only got 2gb so perhaps that was the result of a default size? In any event, I removed that virtual machine and installed a new one and now have about 63gb. As Jay said, you can set the size of the hard drive manually, however, the set up wizard does not get to the screen to do so unless you set the RAM first. I put up all the screens in the wizard that I used to get the 63gb hard drive that I wanted.

http://www.scottylive.com/vmwizard/

I have added more programs to this hard drive and now have used 7.64gb of space. The pic directly below shows a screen shot plus the properties of "C" in windows 98.

Attachments:
resize vhd6.jpg
resize vhd6.jpg [ 87.29 KiB | Viewed 7077 times ]
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting. Glad you got it sorted.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:44 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Interesting. Glad you got it sorted.
-steve

Still working on this Steve......the IE Browser 5 was really bad. I downloaded Netscape 7.02 and 9.0.......both work much better than IE 5. I was surprised to find out that when using Netscape 7.02, I can log on and upload to my Web Server which uses a Java FTP program . Also able to go to all the sites that I normally use and the display is excellent. With IE 5, even Computer Haven was distorted and it rejected my Server as though it were the plague.

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines