Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:40 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Nope you do this with the Virtual Machine shut down. Shut down the Win 98 VM. Go to the start button > All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Windows Virtual PC. This will open up the window where you can manage. Highlight the Win 98 one and select the Settings from the menu, then clcick the DVD drive. The VPC2007 VMAdditons works just fine with the VirtualPC that comes with XP MOde, you don't need to unintsall anything.

OK, I now see where highlighting the Windows 98SE VM opens up the settings option on the top tool bar so all that's left is to click on the DVD drive and open an .iso image so where is that .iso image located?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 pm 
welcoming committee

It is probably on your home machine since you have VPC2007 installed there, you will need to copy it over to your Pro Machine. It will be in the folder when Virtual PC is installed.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:04 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
It is probably on your home machine since you have VPC2007 installed there, you will need to copy it over to your Pro Machine. It will be in the folder when Virtual PC is installed.

Windows 98 SE is like Windows 8......no start button :rofl2: so I can't search for the file. There is nothing at the bottom of the screen. Do you know what it's called and where it is?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:07 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
What does Windows 98 have to do with this? You will look in Windows 7.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:28 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
What does Windows 98 have to do with this? You will look in Windows 7.

I was trying to follow Dvair's instructions which said that the file would be on my Windows 7 Home Premium Computer because thats where VPC2007 is installed and it would be in the folder when Virtual PC is installed. So if it's in Windows 7 Home Premium, what is the "name" of the file and "where" is it located on Windows 7 Home Premium?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:08 am 

It is located in the same folder that Virtual PC is installed. I don't have Virtual PC 2007 installed so can't be precise. If you have an icon for virtual PC 2007 just right click and open file location. That will get you in the install directory.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:34 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
It is located in the same folder that Virtual PC is installed. I don't have Virtual PC 2007 installed so can't be precise. If you have an icon for virtual PC 2007 just right click and open file location. That will get you in the install directory.

The only files located where the Virtual PC is installed is C:\Program Files\Windows Virtual PC\Integration Components.iso and Precompact.iso. These are the exact same files on Windows 7 Pro and Windows 7 Home Premium. There is no Virtual PC 2007 files on either computer.

Attachments:
vmiso.jpg
vmiso.jpg [ 32.56 KiB | Viewed 21742 times ]
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:58 am 

Since you are looking for the integration ISO file... IntegrationComponents.iso. That name just does not seem right, that screen shot is from the Home system, right? As long as that is the case it is the right file. It's been a long time since I've messed with Virtual PC 2007.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Since you are looking for the integration ISO file... IntegrationComponents.iso. That name just does not seem right, that screen shot is from the Home system, right? As long as that is the case it is the right file. It's been a long time since I've messed with Virtual PC 2007.

No, the image is from my Windows 7 Pro computer but the image below is from my Home Premium computer

Attachments:
vmiso.jpg
vmiso.jpg [ 30.42 KiB | Viewed 21738 times ]
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:06 am 

Size wise and name they look the same. Probably won't do any good to copy that file over. On the HOME system go to the Virtual PC settings for the 98 machine and look under hard drives. It should list where the virtual hard drive, .vhd file, for the 98 machine is located. Go there and copy the .vhd file for 98. Now go to the Pro machine and do the same to find where the 98 .vhd file is and replace it with the one you copied from the Home system. You might want to rename the original 98 .vhd file on the Pro machine before replacing with the one from the Home machine so you still have it if this does not work.

BTW, the .vhd files are PROBABLY located under 'My Virtual Machines' in your user folder unless you manually changed the location. Look in the My Documents folder.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:14 am 
welcoming committee

I am trying to upload my copy of the 2007 VMadditions, but each time I do its not right. I will post a link if I get it fixed.

The Home Machine must NOT be running VPC2007, it must be the the newer Virtual PC that is available for download without the XP Mode.

Try this : VMadditions2007

Download the .zip to the computer and extract it. With the Win98 VM off, get into the settings and and mount the .iso as the DVD. Start the Win98 VM and once it has started up, Open My Computer open up the DVD drive, there should be some folders there. Open the Windows one and run setup.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:39 am 

Since Dave has uploaded the additions forget about copying over the .vhd file. My purpose for suggesting that is that I would assume, since everything is fine with it, that the additions were already installed.

I didn't think that file name looked right...

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:43 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
I am trying to upload my copy of the 2007 VMadditions, but each time I do its not right. I will post a link if I get it fixed.

The Home Machine must NOT be running VPC2007, it must be the the newer Virtual PC that is available for download without the XP Mode.

Try this : VMadditions2007

Download the .zip to the computer and extract it. With the Win98 VM off, get into the settings and and mount the .iso as the DVD. Start the Win98 VM and once it has started up, Open My Computer open up the DVD drive, there should be some folders there. Open the Windows one and run setup.

Thanks for the download. Sorry it took so long to get back but I almost have all of this sorted out now. The biggest problem I encountered along the way was the need to remove the Virtual Machine entirely from the existing Windows 7 Pro Computer. I found out that you can't run the VM2007 unless you remove the existing setup. I also found out that the existing VM Setup is not a program file but rather a Windows Update and the update is what had to be removed. So right now, I have VM2007 running on Windows 7 Pro and I have mouse control by selecting Alt-Ctl-UpArrrow. I can adjust the screen size and was also able to install Paint Shop Pro thinking that I could grab a picture of the screen and while I was able to do that and save it in PSP, there is currently no way for me copy the picture to the Windows 7 Pro computer.

My next step is to find out how to network the 98 vm to the win7pro or even find a way to get on line with the 98 VM. I don't have a clue how to go about doing either one of those things.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:11 pm 
welcoming committee

You really didn't need to uninstall the XP Mode Virtual Machine to make this work, but since you have it working keep it.

Networking the 98 machne won't be easy, also going on-line will not be pleasant as the older browser will have fits with many sites (Don't even try the Windows Updare site- mine was caught in a loop on it)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:24 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
You really didn't need to uninstall the XP Mode Virtual Machine to make this work, but since you have it working keep it.

Networking the 98 machne won't be easy, also going on-line will not be pleasant as the older browser will have fits with many sites (Don't even try the Windows Updare site- mine was caught in a loop on it)

The "Windows Updare Site" eh? :rofl2:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 am 
welcoming committee

Thats what I get for not proooof reading.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:53 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:

You were right.....none of this was easy but so far I have been able to do the following:
1. Install both Windows 98 SE and Windows XP Pro as vm's on Windows 7 Pro
2. Get on line with both vm's
3. Install anti-virus software on both vm's
4. Get the windows media player to work on both
5. Install Microsoft Office on both
6. Access the USB on the Windows 7 Pro machine and copy files from the USB flash drive to both vm's
7. Install some software that I have not been able to use in a very long time and this is where I have a question for you. I can remember way way back when many of the programs required the CD to be in the drive to run them because the hard drives were not large enough to hold the entire program. Since we are dealing in gb's now rather than mb's, do you think it's possible to copy the entire program CD to a file on the vm and run it without having the CD in the drive?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:19 am 

Often the need to have the CD mounted for a game to run is actually copy protection. There are hacks out for many games that allow playing without the disk mounted. The downside is that very often these hacks also contain stuff that you do not want... REALLY do not want.

In cases where it is not copy protection it still would take programming modifications to the game software so that it looked to the hard drive for the game files instead of the CD.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:16 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Often the need to have the CD mounted for a game to run is actually copy protection. There are hacks out for many games that allow playing without the disk mounted. The downside is that very often these hacks also contain stuff that you do not want... REALLY do not want.

In cases where it is not copy protection it still would take programming modifications to the game software so that it looked to the hard drive for the game files instead of the CD.

This is not a game. It is Microsoft Bookshelf 1996-1997 edition CD

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:11 am 

The same holds true unless there is a setting that allows for a different source for resource files. OK, did a search and there is a way...

One thing that you might try is to make an image (.ISO file) of the CD and mount the .ISO file in the VM CD drive.

This link will explain how to do what you want. You must follow EXACTLY and I suggest backing up the registry first as part of it does involve a registry change.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175221

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:25 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
The same holds true unless there is a setting that allows for a different source for resource files. OK, did a search and there is a way...

One thing that you might try is to make an image (.ISO file) of the CD and mount the .ISO file in the VM CD drive.

This link will explain how to do what you want. You must follow EXACTLY and I suggest backing up the registry first as part of it does involve a registry change.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175221

I was able to open Windows 98 SE in the Windows 7 Pro PC2007 VM and do a simple copy and paste from the CD/ROM drive to the C: Drive Documnets folder and install it from there without incident. The install allowed me to select the documents folder as a destination folder so this was much easier than I thought.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:42 pm 

If it allowed the selection during the setup that is a LOT easier than the instructions from MS. Just double check and make sure all functionallity and templates are available. There is a good chance that you will have to leave the copy of the CD on the hard drive.

Good job. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines