Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:27 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
None of my three virtual machines will boot; Windows 10, Windows 11 and Linux Mint. I know the issue but am having issues fixing. Somehow hardware virtualization got disabled in my UEFI/BIOS and I'm having problems enabling again. Using VirtualBox you MUST have hardware virtualization enabled to run a 64 bit guest OS.

To be honest I haven't yet put in a lot of effort on this but have found that it seems to involve a balance between the hardware virtualization settings and the settings for CSM (Compatibility Support Module). This is on my main system.

I have the entire mother board manual including UEFI/BIOS so it should not be all that hard to solve. Just need to copy the PDF manual over to one of my other systems so I can have the manual and the UEFI/BIOS both up.

It just bugs me when UEFI/BIOS settings change for no apparent reason. Since there has been no firmware updates for my mother board in years the only other real possibility is that a Windows update made the change. I've seen Windows Updates change UEFI/BIOS settings in the past. The mother board is ~6 years old so I suppose it could be a board issue developing but I doubt that.

Hmmm, just dawned on me that I THINK that I have a restorable file holding all UEFI/BIOS settings that can be reloaded. Not going to be right now but I'll have to look at that possibility...

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Well, that sucks. I hate when odd problems crop up for no apparent reason and create a whole bunch of work to diagnose and correct!

I don't think I mentioned the problem that I ran into shortly before we moved. My wife's PC, which she bought in March from the same company that my main PC is from, shut down after a few minutes of use. It's a pretty slick gaming machine with an i9 processor, 32 Gigs of RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, and NVIDIA RTX3060 all in a small form factor case. My only complaint, especially after this experience, is that it is liquid cooled. The pump failed, so the PC was shutting off to protect itself from overheating. This happened a week before the move, so there was no way for the replacement part to arrive in time to swap before the move -- we opted to receive it at the new address a few days after we moved in. The second problem was installation. Due to this being a small form factor case, there wasn't much room to work. My stepdaughter's boyfriend helped me with the swap and it involved pulling out all of the components, then unscrewing the motherboard from the case before we could slide the old cooler out and the new one in. Lesson learned -- well, 2 lessons -- full size case and I'm thinking liquid cooling isn't such a good idea as you still need fans to cool the radiator, albeit larger quieter ones. It just seems like a pump has a greater chance of failure than a simple fan.

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines