Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post subject: Re: Virtual PC
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:25 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
dvair wrote:
I saved my win98 virtual drive for the longest time, think I dumped it during my last upgrade. I do still have the virtual floppy disk image of the Win98 floppy boot dsik.

I suppose, if you wanted to try, I could put up my 98 virtual drive for you to download but I get the impression that you are not all that interested anymore. Also my drive is in VirtualBox VDI format.

I'm wondering about this Hyper-V thing. I did a quick machine creation for Ubuntu and it also failed. It said everything was fine but attempts to log in failed. I tried it three times. I also got a failure with trying to mount and run the Win 98 SE installer. It just would not launch the install media. Since the thing is called Hyper-v which is also the designation for BIOS enabled hardware virtualization on an Intel based motherboard; I have to wonder it the Windows Hyper-V virtualization depends on the system being Intel which would include the BIOS Hyper-V. My system is AMD. While it also includes hardware virtualization it, as far as I can understand, does the hardware virtualization in a bit of a different way. I have to wonder if my system being AMD based is the base cause of my failure to get an OS to boot.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:56 am 
welcoming committee

I don't play as much as I used too, so no need for the drive. Thanks anyways.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:30 pm 

dvair wrote:
I don't play as much as I used too, so no need for the drive. Thanks anyways.

OK :)

I actually got Linux Ubuntu to work in Hyper-V. In fact I'm posting this through the virtual machine. The problem was that I needed to disable secure boot for the machine as it isn't a Windows OS. I'll try the same with Win 98 SE.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:55 pm 

I have since removed Hyper-V. Since I have pretty much everything I want through VirtualBox I just don't see any sense in trying to duplicate virtual machines I already have working fine. ;)

I WILL say that it looks to me that VirtualBox is more versatile than Hyper-V and SEEMS, to me from Linux installs, to perform better.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:57 pm 
welcoming committee

Stupid Jay and talking about Virtual Machines :D . With no sports on, guess who just built Win98 and WinXp VMs ?????????

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:23 pm 

dvair wrote:
Stupid Jay and talking about Virtual Machines :D . With no sports on, guess who just built Win98 and WinXp VMs ?????????

LOL!, "Stupid Jay",???? :gunner: :rofl2:

What virtual software did you use? XP will work in just about any virtualization software but 98 can be a problem especially as to accessing USB devices. Personally, while I have not delved really deep in Hyper-V, I consider VirtualBox more capable; especially with older OS's.

What do you mean with "no sports on"? Shoot, just less than a week ago you could have watched the Krystal hamburger eating contest followed by a bratwurst sausage eating contest on ESPN! And then ESPN followed with a replay of the 2018 championships for the video game Tetris! What more could you possibly ask for???? :rofl2:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:33 pm 

joemonte wrote:
Jay,
I just couldn't just give up on this(sometimes I"m not too bright) so just for fun I've been playing with a virtual PC. I tried Hyper-V, the built in virtual PC in WIN 10 Pro. Guess what? It worked! Took some playing around but I installed WIN 98 on my PC.

Right now I'm playing around with getting USB ports going. I'll keep you abreast of my progress.

How have things developed? I'm REALLY curious as to if you have been able to install your joystick in the 98 VM.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Used Virtualbox, the one game I would really like to play needs hardware acceleration so that won't work on the 98 machine. 98 sees my Logitech USB joystick with no issues. Not sure how much I will use them but have them anyways.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:57 pm 

dvair wrote:
Used Virtualbox, the one game I would really like to play needs hardware acceleration so that won't work on the 98 machine. 98 sees my Logitech USB joystick with no issues. Not sure how much I will use them but have them anyways.

On my 98 SE install through VirtualBox it accepted both 2D and 3D acceleration. Don't really know if it is truly functional but the settings accept the change.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:05 pm 
welcoming committee

I have those boxes checked, but according to the forums the newer version of VB doesn't actually do hardware acceleration in the older OS's. The good new is the older versions of VB do have acceleration on the earlier Windows versions. Might play with one of those to see.

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines