Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Partitioning and dual booting

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:43 pm 
welcoming committee

This is a long story so best I start from the beginning. Some of you may recall that I paired Windows 7 and Windows 10 by installing 2 hard drives in the same computer which were controlled by a switching device. Windows 7 was already on this computer and I bought a new Windows 10 CD and installed it in on a formatted drive. All of this worked fairly well and everything connected to the Net through my Comcast Modem and Ethernet cables except I had a bit of trouble with IE11 working correctly and decided to use Mozilla which worked fine. Later on down the line, Windows 7 seemed to have more problems than I thought and if you recall, this was the OS that had a couple hundred updates all install at the same time. So, what did I do? I bought a complete brand new Windows 7 Pro computer and put Windows 10 in that case connected through the switching device. The only problem was, my brand new Windows 10 would no longer allow me to activate it in the new computer.......must have been in small print somewhere that it was only good for one computer, so I had to pull the windows 10 Drive and put it back in the old case. At the same time, I also pulled the hard drive from my New Windows 7 computer and paired it up with Windows 10 and everything finally was working ok, IE 11 worked in both drives and when I tried to activate 10, it said it was already activated. Yayyyyyyyyy !!

Now comes the reason for my post. I had room for another drive on 7 and 10 so I decided to install a new hard drive and Install Windows XP and operate it through the switching device. That all went well and XP installed without incident......well almost without incident. It also had to be activated and I spent hours trying to do it and finally called MS and got one of those robots that gave me instructions on how to create a new activation key so now Windows XP Pro is activated but I cannot connect to the net. It cannot find my Comcast Modem. I read everything I could find and still no luck in getting it connected........So, does anyone know how I can do it? The other two drives connect ok.

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Personally, I would remove XP (it is way past end of life and *very* insecure when connected to the Internet -- there have been reports of XP machines becoming compromised within minutes of being connected to the Internet), but your issue is probably a lack of a driver for the Network card that is in that PC. If you look at Device Manager when running another Operating System on the box, it will tell you what that Network Card is and who makes it. You will then need to go to the manufacturer's support site to download a driver that is for Windows XP and save it to a location that XP will see when booted to XP or put it on a flash/thumb drive to install it when you boot back to XP.

-steve

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:30 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I agree with Steve as to XP. The only way that I would run XP is if I had software that just would not run on anything else. Even then I would not do it as a physical install but only on a virtual machine.

I should probably define the term virtual machine. This acts just like a physical computer but all the hardware, video, sound, etc., are actually software that emulates actual hardware. A virtual machine runs within another operating system such as your Windows 7 or 10 installs. This is a much safer method with an outdated operating system such as XP as the security for Windows 7 or 10 would help protect. Even in a virtual machine XP cannot be considered totally safe but it is much safer than doing an install where XP is on its own.

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:37 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Personally, I would remove XP (it is way past end of life and *very* insecure when connected to the Internet -- there have been reports of XP machines becoming compromised within minutes of being connected to the Internet), but your issue is probably a lack of a driver for the Network card that is in that PC. If you look at Device Manager when running another Operating System on the box, it will tell you what that Network Card is and who makes it. You will then need to go to the manufacturer's support site to download a driver that is for Windows XP and save it to a location that XP will see when booted to XP or put it on a flash/thumb drive to install it when you boot back to XP.

-steve

Got the driver Steve and installed it and XP now connects to the internet. I also did a right click on the desktop in XP and immediately got a little scroll bar that allows me to change the screen resolution from 800x600 to 1920x1440......that is what I was looking for in Windows 10 but have yet to find out how to do it.

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:44 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Allyson... I still must say that I would not be running XP in this way. You are putting your system in potential danger.

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:09 am 
Site Admin

Your PC is set up to boot to 3 operating systems, but if you are going to run XP, please make sure that the other drives/partitions are not visible to XP when running. Also, be sure to install a good antivirus program on XP that still supports XP. While it won't protect from everything, it will give you a modicum of protection.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:31 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Your PC is set up to boot to 3 operating systems, but if you are going to run XP, please make sure that the other drives/partitions are not visible to XP when running. Also, be sure to install a good antivirus program on XP that still supports XP. While it won't protect from everything, it will give you a modicum of protection.
-steve

Hi Steve, there is a 4 port switch that controls the power to these drives so only one drive can have power and the others are disconnected. There is no inter connection between the drives so if I am on XP and get a virus, it could screw up the XP OS but cannot affect the others. I have Kaspersky on 7 and 10. It wont work on XP but AVG does so that's what I have there.

As for why I want XP so bad, as Jay said, it will run programs that 7 and 10 will not run such as "Icon Forge, a great program for making Icons", "American Heritage talking dictionary which with one click, allows me to type in a word, see it as you would in a dictionary and also hear it pronounced", and most of all, "Microsoft Total Training Video Tutorials". 7 and 10 wont run these, error code 2202 Silverlight but they open and play ok in XP ?

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

As long as the drive is completely isolated from all other drives and you have a decent antivirus program and the firewall up, you are as safe as can be -- which isn't very safe while connected to the Internet. The isolation is good, though, so that any infection or intrusion cannot bridge to your other drives easily.
-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Partitioning and dual booting