Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Partitioning and dual booting

Post subject: SSD advice please...
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:00 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As indicated in another thread I have ordered a 240GB SSD. I was planning on partitioning to have a ~130-140GB system partition with a ~90-100GB scratch partition for my video processing. My thinking is that doing video processing is going to lead to a lot of write cycles which could possibly slow down the drive. I just don't know if the write cycle thing affects the entire drive or just the areas where they happen. If only where they happen partitioning may be a good idea. If the affect is on the entire drive a partition would not matter. Most likely the affect takes long enough to manifest that it is probably a moot point.

Any advice as to if the above partitioning would be the best way to go in my specific case or would it be better just to leave it as one partition for system and encoding video?

One thing that sounds good as to excessive write cycles is that they use what they call 'nCache 2.0 technology'. This is a non-volatile cache for writes. It does not write to the actual drive every time, it writes to the cache. When the cache is filled it dumps it to the drive.

Post subject: Re: SSD advice please...
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:31 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't know the answer to this but since the disk cost just a little over $100 maybe that's not something to worry about and just set it up as you feel like. My opinion, performance wise probably no big major difference but I always like and advocate partitioning but that's another story. I'd say just not to over provision and leave enough free blocks for the SSD to function well. What that amount is I'm not sure.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:06 pm 

Actually the drive only cost $91.00 including standard shipping but I also got a 2.5-3.25 inch bracket and paid for next day air. Total was $113.00 and some change. It is already here. :mrgreen:

Here is something for you that I would have never guessed. I've confirmed this on three sites/forums so far. This is brief and says what needs said.
Quote:
Partitioning a SSD has no real effect, negative or positive, except for organizational purposes.

Partitioning an SSD does not create extra wear. The drive itself does not "see" partitions. It does wear leveling across the drive evenly.

I will go ahead and partition. I figure that I will not bother pulling the box out if its niche to mount the drive until all is proven. I will use the 'external/internal' connections I set up... LOL! see how handy that has been already... :geek:

I will use EaseUS Partition Master to partition. Since EaseUS has been so much help to me lately I'm giving it the first shot as to migrating Win 7 to the SSD, I want to see how it works out. The migration tool in EaseUS includes an option to optimize for an SSD. If I don't like how EaseUS does I'll restore an image. Once I see how some different options work as to migration I may or may not just start fresh and do a clean install.

Once a good boot is proven I will copy my data partition to a 640GB drive that initially came with my laptop and mount both the SSD and the laptop drive in the double bracket I also got. Pull the 1TB drive currently in use and mount the bracket. The 1TB drive will then be used for images since I dropped and destroyed one of my old image drives... :cry:

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:45 pm 

All went well and without issue. Migration worked but did a clean install after.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:42 pm 

I'm impressed!

While I still have some installs to do they are mostly small stuff. Installs, even though reading from optical media, went a lot faster.

Just did my first image since installing the SSD. I didn't include the data drive as it is now a separate physical drive. I wrote the image to the 1TB drive that used to be my system/data drive. I started the image and went outside for a bit, about 15 minutes. It was done when I got back in.

I also allowed the creation of a new Recovery CD' as they can be a bit touchy if drives are changed.

The performance increase is even more impressive considering that I have the SSD connected to a SATA 2 port, not a SATA 3. I'm going to have to pull the box back out and search the mother board. While most of my SATA connections are SATA 2 I thought that I had two that were SATA 3, mayhaps not, I will have to look.

Bottom line? I am VERY happy! :mrgreen:

Board index » Technical Forums » Partitioning and dual booting