Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:56 pm 
welcoming committee

This a.m. I had to restore to factory default on the Asus with Win7.
When I initially did the restore, I was not offered the choice of Restore from System Image, so I only restored the data from 5/30 backup. (OL was not downloaded in the restore and I had to get on Outlook for business. That is why I rushed into it.) Then I restored the system image after finding out where the image was located. I did the image on the 24th, so yes, I did both. After the image you are asked (I can't remember the specific language) if you want to restore your other data, so I said yes. Is that where the 5/24 data was pulled? because it should be from yesterday.

Action Center says the last backup failed and is dated May 24th. I know it is in the external HD, though, from Tuesday and yesterday. Wednesday no changes were made.
Have I downloaded everything twice or did the Image override the earlier restore?
My guess would be that the Image overrode the data and I need to update the backup on top of the Sys Image to get back the 5/30 changes. Does that make sense? I'm not sure where to find it at this point. I sort of have to reverse and restore.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:46 am 
Fearless Leader

Image overwrote the earlier restore, yes.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:11 am 
welcoming committee

nancy wrote:
After the image you are asked (I can't remember the specific language) if you want to restore your other data, so I said yes.

Really? I don't know all that much about the excellent Windows built-in imaging program, I have only used it to recover once (but it was the most major recovery of my entire computing life). Does it really ask you to restore your other data? Interesting.

Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:06 pm 
Fearless Leader

I've never seen this, but if you choose the option "Let Windows Decide" when you go through the Backup wizard, you have 2 backups. One is the image backup, the other is a data backup. They are separate backups on the backup drive. After you have restored your image, go into Backup and Restore in Control Panel, and choose to restore files. That should let you restore all data, or specific data, from the latest data backup made.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:15 pm 
welcoming committee

I will search for that now. Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:30 pm 
welcoming committee

I went into Restore Files.

Okay, inside of Show Backups and I chose May, I see dailies up to May 23rd and then May 31st.
I know there is one from 5/24, 5/28, and 5/30. Still have to open up everything until I find it...

This is helpful, but we are not there yet!

Last edited by nancy on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:31 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
... from the latest data backup made.

In other words, if I am understanding this correctly, if the IMAGE was made before a document was created, you still will not be able to recover that file, correct? Or has Microsoft done things differently from all other imaging programs?

Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:37 pm 
welcoming committee

I am reading it differently, Acadia.
I do Images weekly and I do data daily (during the week). I should absolutely be ABLE to recover the files. They are in my external drive, so the files are here somewhere.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:54 pm 
welcoming committee

nancy wrote:
I am reading it differently, Acadia.
I do Images weekly and I do data daily (during the week). I should absolutely be ABLE to recover the files. They are in my external drive, so the files are here somewhere.

Oh but yes, if you have been making separate backups of your data you will definitely be able to bring them back into your c:drive after you have restored it, that is another process and I stand corrected. Kudos for making separate backups of your data, so important.

Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:14 pm 
welcoming committee

I have to do, because a full day of work is saved by a few minutes of common sense.

Thank you, Acadia.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:09 pm 
Fearless Leader

If you let Windows choose what to backup, you will have an image and a data backup, Acadia. In addition to those backups, I also do a SyncToy backup, so I have another backup of my data in native file format and folder hierarchy - not compressed.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:44 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
ArrrG! I don't intend to confuse things but I do NOT do file backups, I do images only. As long as all my drives are included for doing restore points I don't need a file backup as Previous Version under Properties will automatically hold a backup of data files. If that happens to fail, and it can, I will still have a weekly image of all data.

Please understand that I am outlining MY situation and that may not at all apply to what you need. To be honest my systems are becoming more and more entertainment than work. Hey, I'm less that 1.5 years away from being 60 years old. I have a "day job" that I love and just do computer work on the side. On the side ain't all that bad. In the last month I've made about $450.00 'on the side'. My issue is that I went with the wrong (((money making aspect))) when I decided to work on computers. I almost never do commercial, I'm the residential person and, to be honest, I'll work on a system for someone that can't afford and absorb the loss before I will work on a business system for profit. Shoot! I do deals for people where, if they donate their old hardware when I do a new build or upgrade, I will give a 15/20% discount so that I can keep the old hardware to build new systems that I donate to families with kids that cannot afford a system. To do this properly it takes a LOT of records.

OK, now the "nitty gritty". ;) You do weekly images, why? Are you installing a LOT of software weekly that changes your system? From everything that I've been able to figure from your posts you do a weekly image even though you have not changed your system. I would stop this practice and just make n image of when everything is working as you want. After that I would just do a file backup in case something goes south. Now, say that you do a major software install... When it is proven you make a new system image backup and forget about it. As long as you have a viable 'system image' you do NOT have to keep making more and more of them. Worry more about your data backups.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:01 am 
welcoming committee

I make an image of my entire c:drive every day but then I have a very fast program (and powerful computer) which does it in just a few minutes. I like doing that because of the constant MS updates, etc. Just yesterday I discovered that two of my programs, ccleaner and foxit, had been updated. If I restore a month old image I would be left with trying to figure out which updates, MS and otherwise, I would have to re-download.

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:20 am 
Fearless Leader

Jay, you are right - your usage of computers is different than mine, or Nancy's. She absolutely needs to have a weekly image, and a daily data backup, as do I. It pains me to see you recommend she do less backing up. One can never have too many backups when dealing with digital data and digital storage. I believe one's data should be backed up at least 3 different ways; so not only daily, but also in different formats, though probably not needed as often. Data should be backed up on two different hard drives, and if possible, occasionally on optical media. One can backup the most critical data on USB sticks, or backed up to a sync'ed device such as a laptop/phone, etc.

For instance, Outlook is among my most critical data. It is backed up on system image, MS data backup, SyncToy backup, and on my Android phone. Microsoft Money is backed up in image, MS data and SyncToy backup. It gets backed up every time I enter data into the program, which can sometimes be a few times a day.

When you run a business on a computer, that data has varying degrees of sensitivity and criticalness. Data needed to run your day-to-day business is one issue. If your computer contains personal information of clients, that's an entirely different issue. Some scenarios require encryption of your data or drive. There is no "one size fits all" strategy when it comes to backing up. But there is a maxim - more is better. And more yet, is better yet.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Those of you who know me well, please forgive, you may have heard this from me before:
Number one rule of buying a home: location, location, location
Number one rule of investing for retirement: diversify, diversify, diversify
Number one rule of using a computer: backup, backup, backup! :happy62:

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:10 pm 
welcoming committee

I think Jay may have been addressing Acadia, re: weekly images and MacDuffie and I (naturally) thought of me. I am not going to defend my reason for weekly Image backups and I'm not going to change a thing, except renew my use of SyncToy.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:37 pm 
welcoming committee

nancy wrote:
I think Jay may have been addressing Acadia, re: weekly images and MacDuffie and I (naturally) thought of me. I am not going to defend my reason for weekly Image backups and I'm not going to change a thing, except renew my use of SyncToy.

Nancy, you have nothing to defend. With backups more is better, period. Those that don't think so will discover why. My number one contact at Storagecraft points out if you don't do that you should verify them periodically, because they can go bad.

I take incrementals of my business systems every 30 minutes and do data backups at least every night.

Pete

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:17 pm 
welcoming committee

It was unnecessary, especially here. I do not really think there is disagreement, especially from Jay.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:19 pm 

Acadia wrote:
I make an image of my entire c:drive every day but then I have a very fast program (and powerful computer) which does it in just a few minutes. I like doing that because of the constant MS updates, etc. Just yesterday I discovered that two of my programs, ccleaner and foxit, had been updated. If I restore a month old image I would be left with trying to figure out which updates, MS and otherwise, I would have to re-download.

Acadia

But the above changed your basic system setup and would fit in with what I outlined as a time to do an image.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:28 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
Jay, you are right - your usage of computers is different than mine, or Nancy's. She absolutely needs to have a weekly image, and a daily data backup, as do I. It pains me to see you recommend she do less backing up. One can never have too many backups when dealing with digital data and digital storage. I believe one's data should be backed up at least 3 different ways; so not only daily, but also in different formats, though probably not needed as often. Data should be backed up on two different hard drives, and if possible, occasionally on optical media. One can backup the most critical data on USB sticks, or backed up to a sync'ed device such as a laptop/phone, etc.

For instance, Outlook is among my most critical data. It is backed up on system image, MS data backup, SyncToy backup, and on my Android phone. Microsoft Money is backed up in image, MS data and SyncToy backup. It gets backed up every time I enter data into the program, which can sometimes be a few times a day.

When you run a business on a computer, that data has varying degrees of sensitivity and criticalness. Data needed to run your day-to-day business is one issue. If your computer contains personal information of clients, that's an entirely different issue. Some scenarios require encryption of your data or drive. There is no "one size fits all" strategy when it comes to backing up. But there is a maxim - more is better. And more yet, is better yet.

Sorry, I may have come across other than meant. I am not suggesting that anyone do less backups. What I was trying to say is that a system image is not always needed to do a system image. I would hope tht the data is on a different drive than the system. My thought is that as long as you have a current image of that system drive the resulting main concern is to do file backups of the data.

Of course there is nothing wrong with ongoing images of the system but it does put wear and tear on the drive. If I've done no major installs I'm wearing out my drives for no purpose. Please keep in mind that I AM assuming that the data files are NOT on the system drive.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 pm 
Fearless Leader

OK. But system changes with updates regularly these days, often in the background unknown to the user. The other thing is that I have found that if a system image is not done regularly (automatically), then when the drive fails the image is almost always 6 months to a year or more old. ;) It isn't a lot of wear and tear on the drive, as the weekly image by Windows is generally an append, with a full new image occurring far less often.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery