Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 am 
welcoming committee

"The system image restore failed. Windows cannot restore and image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using EFI and this computer is using Bios"

This is the error message I get when I try to restore an image made on this same computer before the HD went bad. All that I have done is to replace the HD with a new one.

I have searched and searched and can find no way around this........

Can anyone help me? I need to get my taxes restored and at least file for an extension.

Facts: MB has a UEFI BIOS
This is Windows 7 Ultimate

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hi Bill, nice to see you. :)

The first thing that comes to mind is to ask if you have done a BIOS update since you made the image? If so you would probably have to re-flash the BIOS to the version that was there when the image was made.

The second thing is to ask what software you used to create the image? I'm going to guess Acronis.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:59 am 
welcoming committee

No, no BIOS flash has been done.

I am using Windows 7 Backup and Restore and using the created Restore disk.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:05 am 

This is a new one on me. I really have no other ideas. I DO assume that the restore disk was created on the machine in question.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:09 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Bill, nice to see you.

Since you have a deadline I suggest that you investigate downloading the program you want rather then spending time on this restore. This is some arcane error that is likely to take forever to track down.

For the future - multiple backups in multiple locations using different methods. One is bound to work because as we all know you can't trust a computer to work when you really need it.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 am 
welcoming committee

And good day to you Manny.

I have a WHS which is supposed to have a backup on it but that is another problem.....when I try to do a restore from it the restore program tells me there is no network connection while all my computers are regularly backing up to it....I am beginning to think that the MS backup solutions are not ones to trust. (although I used to use one of the standard backup programs-and that failed me as well when it was needed). I am thinking that the WHS is a waste of time after all this and perhaps I should just change it out for a NAS.

You are correct, this problem may not have a solution but I am going to call Asus this morning and try to find out how to create a UEFI drive.

Manny Carvalho wrote:

Since you have a deadline I suggest that you investigate downloading the program you want rather then spending time on this restore. This is some arcane error that is likely to take forever to track down.

For the future - multiple backups in multiple locations using different methods. One is bound to work because as we all know you can't trust a computer to work when you really need it.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:39 am 
welcoming committee

No, restore disk was created on a non-UEFI computer. Turns out my restore disk in the library would not work as it was created before the SP for Win7, so I had to create a new one.
By the way, it probably was a UEFI disk when the backup was made so that is correct.

jaylach wrote:
This is a new one on me. I really have no other ideas. I DO assume that the restore disk was created on the machine in question.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:00 pm 
welcoming committee

With WHS I can help you because the same exact thing happened to me. The error messages are totally misleading and don't lead to a solution.

What's probably happening is that WHS doesn't have the driver for your network card even though it appears it's loading it. What you should do is load your driver when you are initiating a restore. With the network card driver installed it should then work nicely. At least it did for me.

Here's where I hit that roadblock: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/43face87-af34-4c85-852e-6d8204905e82 and a little short one: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/95adf460-9eeb-4a00-b925-340d2eb5007b They have a FAQ about this problem which is listed in the thread.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny, I will give that a try either later tonight or tomorrow morning.....thanks.

Manny Carvalho wrote:
With WHS I can help you because the same exact thing happened to me. The error messages are totally misleading and don't lead to a solution.

What's probably happening is that WHS doesn't have the driver for your network card even though it appears it's loading it. What you should do is load your driver when you are initiating a restore. With the network card driver installed it should then work nicely. At least it did for me.

Here's where I hit that roadblock: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/43face87-af34-4c85-852e-6d8204905e82 and a little short one: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/95adf460-9eeb-4a00-b925-340d2eb5007b They have a FAQ about this problem which is listed in the thread.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm 

BillG wrote:
No, restore disk was created on a non-UEFI computer. Turns out my restore disk in the library would not work as it was created before the SP for Win7, so I had to create a new one.
By the way, it probably was a UEFI disk when the backup was made so that is correct.

jaylach wrote:

This is probably your issue with the Windows image. I have experimented with this a bit and it would seem that a restore disk will ONLY work on the system from which it was created. At least that is how it seems with the little looking that I have done. Tried to use my restore disk which I KNOW works on another Win 7 Ultimate system to do a startup repair and it failed. It flatly would not run the restore disk on another system.

What I would try as to your Windows backup image...
1) Re-install Windows on that machine using the same key code and activate.
2) Create a restore disk on that machine.
3) Boot to the new restore disk and try the image restore.
4) Hope that the apparent system specific aspect of a restore disk is truly system specific and not Windows install specific. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Quote:
This is probably your issue with the Windows image. I have experimented with this a bit and it would seem that a restore disk will ONLY work on the system from which it was created. At least that is how it seems with the little looking that I have done. Tried to use my restore disk which I KNOW works on another Win 7 Ultimate system to do a startup repair and it failed. It flatly would not run the restore disk on another system.

What I would try as to your Windows backup image...
1) Re-install Windows on that machine using the same key code and activate.
2) Create a restore disk on that machine.
3) Boot to the new restore disk and try the image restore.
4) Hope that the apparent system specific aspect of a restore disk is truly system specific and not Windows install specific. ;)

I have never heard of this, I have always only had one restore disk. And I have tried it from a Win 7 install disk as well which starts with the same option in Repair.

1) I have no idea what the original key code was, it is one of 10 from MSDN.

I am certain from all that I can find that the problem is with the BIOS, or rather the Boot designation that this is not a UEFI disk.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:29 pm 

I cannot speak as to what you have tried. All I can say is that I have created a restore disk on one Win 7 Ultimate system and tried on another Win 7 Ultimate system and have seen it fail. From that it would seem that a created restore disk is only good for the system from which it was created.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 am 
welcoming committee

At what point did it fail? What was the exact message?

As I said before, I did have my original Restore disk fail, said is was not the correct OS. But when I made a new disk on another up to date Win 7 computer, the restore disk ran fine.

Just so that I could eliminate another problem, I have started to use the OS install disk, repair function. There is no way that could be linked to an install.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 am 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
For the future - multiple backups in multiple locations using different methods.

Bingo, Bingo, Bingo. Sorry, Bill, other than that I have no advice. I have my system protected by 5 backup programs and my favorite one does not even use any drivers so it always works (so far).

Acadia

(P.S. Has Sue read her email recently?)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:19 pm 
welcoming committee

VICTORY :o :D ......details to follow

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:22 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:

Turns out the WHS backup did not complete....that backup was made right after I had removed a failing HD from the array and then I let it rebuild. I did a manual backup and thought it had completed as it had a backup on the correct date, but it was a backup that had not finished so I never got to load the drivers. I had them ready to go and I sure it would have worked if that backup had been good. To failed HDs in the same week can cause a lot of problems.

I really appreciate the heads up Manny.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Manny Carvalho wrote:
For the future - multiple backups in multiple locations using different methods.

Bingo, Bingo, Bingo. Sorry, Bill, other than that I have no advice. I have my system protected by 5 backup programs and my favorite one does not even use any drivers so it always works (so far).

Acadia

(P.S. Has Sue read her email recently?)

I thought I had two backups, turns out at the time of the crash I only had one......but I figured it out and got it to work.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:25 pm 

Glad that you got it Bill, anxious to hear what worked. Not needed now but I had left a post that seems to be lost suggesting that you install Windows and then start the image restore through Windows. Curious as to how close I was to your solution.

I believe that in the same lost post I gave the best answer that I could as to where the created restore disks would fail on another system that being right about when you would expect the menu to come up. On thinking again it is not impossible that the real issue MIGHT have been a 32/64 bit thing but I think that both were 64 bit.

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery