Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:53 pm 
welcoming committee

How come the generated backup grows in size with every run of the backup tool. I was under the impression that after the first backup only new files or data are added to the backup. I have watched a backup start at say 40 GB's and grow well past 125 GB's with minimal additional data on the system after 5 or 6 backups. What are the best settings to use when running Windows Backup? Do you create a System Image every time? How often should you create a repair disk? Can one repair disk be used on multiple Win 7 machines?

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

New and changed files are added to the backup and the catalog is updated. The older backed up files are not replaced, so some files might be backed up many times.

Best settings are what works for you. System Image is a full backup of everything that can be used to restore the PC to that point using a freshly formatted disk or new disk.

I never create a System Repair disk. I have used a Windows Setup DVD to repair Windows. However, it can be a good idea to create a Repair Disk after a Service pack has been applied to the OS as the original setup disk will not be at the Service Pack level.

In theory, yes, it can be used on multiple machines.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:13 am 
welcoming committee

I use ACRONIS, for a mirror image.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 am 
welcoming committee

Yes, I slam dunk Microsoft from time to time but a few months ago something happened that gained MS a bit of respect in my eyes. I got a new system in November. I was doing some advanced stuff with it, messing with partitions and Master Boot Record in order to get an old software friend to work that was not designed for Win7. I and others had done it before and it can be done but involves doing some white knuckle stuff (at least for me) with your system. Of course before attempting any of this I made two mirror image backups, one with my favorite Shadow Protect and one with the built in MS program.

Without going into any gory details, I totally hosed my system like never before. I realized I had to restore a backup so I ran the Shadow Protect recovery disk. Much to my horror it did not work, I forget the exact error message that it gave me. This was the first and to this day only time that Shadow Protect failed me. For the first time ever in my years of computing I realized that I had to re-install my OS from scratch. So I got out the Win7 DVD, put it in the rom, and started it. I did not know exactly what to expect, like I said, this was the first time that I ever had to re-install a system. Up came the option, Did I want to try to repair my system? I said, what the heck, I have nothing to lose at this point. So I said yes, and it gave me the option to look for a backup. Well I'll be darned if it didn't find the Win7 Microsoft program's image. I still did not expect it to work because my system was so badly hosed and Shadow Protect had not worked. I couldn't believe it, it took 40 minutes because my image was stored on an external hard drive but MS COMPLETELY RECOVERED MY SYSTEM, it was as if nothing had ever happened.

That have me the courage to attempt installing my favorite software program a second time and the second time I nailed it. But on that day MS gained a bit of respect from me. Moral of the story: BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP, and use more than one program.

Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:52 pm 
Fearless Leader

Took you awhile, Acadia. ;) I had that happen a few years ago. Shadow Protect failed me also. Windows 7 image backup has never failed me. Acronis failed big time, even earlier than Shadow Protect.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Along with the Win 7 backup w/ system image I also use Casper. Both have been reliable when needed. I'm just surprised how large the Win 7 backup can get. After a couple months I just create fresh one after deleting the bloated one.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't like incremental backups period. I run two images and rotate the backup drives. Every time I do an image I delete the one already there and do a complete.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm 
Fearless Leader

Windows 7 backups are not "bloated." They back up multiple versions of files. In Windows 7, you can right-click on a file in Windows Explorer and go to Properties. You will find a tab called "Previous versions." You can click on this and go back to earlier versions of the file. You can replace the current version of a file, or you can restore a previous version to an alternate location or give it a different name. This isn't bloat. It may not be a feature that everyone needs, but it is darn good to know sometimes after you have screwed up a file, and saved it, that you can go backwards in time. You can do it for documents, for photos you've been editing, etc. As you delete earlier backups, you also delete those previous versions.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:24 pm 
welcoming committee

My personal setup is as follows:

An image backup with all windows updates installed.
Image backup also contains all the programs I use fully updated.

All my music is stored on a separate drive, as are my images and videos.

These are backed up using Allway Sync (which is just a sync program) to another large hard drive. I run this once a day.

this means should my main drive fail, I can restore and image with all my applications installed and settings. It's then just a case of mapping my Image, Music and Video Drives (I:, M: and V: )

should my Images/Music or Video drive fail I have a backup on my Backup drive. Should my backup drive fail I have all my original data.

Certs: CCNA, CCNA:Security, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCITP:SA,
MCITP:EMA 2010, MCSE:Server 2008, VTSP5, ITIL V3 Foundation
http://www.michaelriccioni.com

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:58 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
MacDuffie wrote:
Windows 7 backups are not "bloated." They back up multiple versions of files. In Windows 7, you can right-click on a file in Windows Explorer and go to Properties. You will find a tab called "Previous versions." You can click on this and go back to earlier versions of the file. You can replace the current version of a file, or you can restore a previous version to an alternate location or give it a different name. This isn't bloat. It may not be a feature that everyone needs, but it is darn good to know sometimes after you have screwed up a file, and saved it, that you can go backwards in time. You can do it for documents, for photos you've been editing, etc. As you delete earlier backups, you also delete those previous versions.

You can also do this with entire folders.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:07 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Windows 7 backups are not "bloated."

Ouch! Didn't mean to touch a nerve. :)

Patty unless a person knows what you just explained, bloat seemed like the appropriate word. If I am understanding this correctly, the reason the backup size increases is because there are previous versions of every file you backup...correct? I only backup my system and programs with Win 7 and Casper. I have my documents folder on a separate drive. My pictures, videos and music downloads go to another separate drive partition which I then transfer to an external drive which is backed up.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:29 pm 
Fearless Leader

Your data backup (if you let Windows do a data backup) will include all data in your User data folders, regardless of where they are located - assuming a fixed location and not a removable drive.

You didn't touch a nerve. I was simply explaining that what looked like "bloat" to you, is, in fact, not. It is a feature. ;)

I do a Windows data backup, a Windows Image backup, and a SyncToy backup, of all my data folders. So my data is backed up in triplicate.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Do I install SyncToy on one computer or both machines? By reading the rules it appears only one installation is necessary.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

I stopped using SyncToy long ago and switched to a paid product, GoodSync. SyncToy is a great, free program that generally works very well. You only need it on a single PC. "Pairs" can then be configured to match source and destination locations. You can sync to an external USB drive or another PC on your network, for example.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 am 
Fearless Leader

So what does GoodSync do that SyncToy does not, Steve?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 am 
Site Admin

I need to sync to SharePoint at the office -- GoodSync can sync via WebDav. It is also considerably faster at transfers.
I had a few minor issues with SyncToy when I was using it to keep data in sync on multiple computers (can't recall the details, but it was minor -- perhaps related to filtering). I decided to try GoodSync at home, too, and it didn't have the issue (whatever it was!), so I purchased another license.
SyncToy has a distinct advantage by being free. :-)

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 am 
welcoming committee

I actually have my system protected by 5 mirror imaging programs, only one of them did I have to pay for, Shadow Protect. Besides Shadow Protect and the Windows program, I have my system protected by the Seagate DiscWizard which is actually a rebranded Acronis, Paragon Free, and EaseUS ToDo. EaseUs ToDo does not actually get installed onto your system, everything is done from the recovery disc. All these programs play nicely together, never any conflicts, although I have only ever used ShadowProtect and Microsoft to actually recover. Again, 4 out of 5 of these programs did not need to be purchased. To use the Seagate program you must have a Seagate or Maxtor hard drive but it need only be an external hard drive.

Acadia

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery