Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:15 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I ran in to a rather weird situation on my Windows 10 media system. I suddenly lost thumbnails of images as they were replaced by icons for JPG, PNG, etc.. I could not see thumbnail images of the actual photos.

My first thought was to use system restore but that was not available as it was turned off. I'm not sure but I seem to remember in another thread that the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 automatically turns off Restore Points.

OK, I'll restore a system image. My most recent image was from 2 days ago via Acronis. 2 days is fine as I've only installed one item from then to now.

Initially I tried the restore of the image from within Windows and just could not get it to work. This is likely due to the fact that I have a hybrid BIOS that is a cross between the old classic BIOS and UEFI.

I booted to the Acronis Recovery Disk that I, of course created, and all was fine. From the time I put in the recovery disk and started the system to a working desktop was ~10 minutes for a ~75 GB OS drive selecting to do a 'bit by bit' restore.

My thumbnails are back and I am satisfied.

Of course I could have researched and probably fixed the thumbnail issue without doing an image restore but who knows how long the research would have taken...

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery