Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:06 pm 
welcoming committee

My new Velocity Micro computer system with a UEFI BIOS is as follows:

Motherboard: Asus Z170-P Intel Z170 chipset, ATX Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core I5-6600 Processor, 4-core @ 3.3GHz
C Drive: 512GB Samsung 950 Pros PCIe 3.0 SS Drive

When I try to create a System Repair Disk from the Win 7 Backup and Restore screen, I get the following error:
This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows that you are trying to repair.

I do know that I can use the OEM Install Disk to reach the system repair screen, but I can't seem to create an actual System Repair Disk. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance..........

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:28 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Can you give an actual screen shot of that error? In my experience that error should only come up if you are booting to the repair disk and the installed version of Windows does not match such as creating a repair disk on a Home version and trying to use on a Pro version. Only supply the screen shot if there is additional information.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:07 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Can you give an actual screen shot of that error? In my experience that error should only come up if you are booting to the repair disk and the installed version of Windows does not match such as creating a repair disk on a Home version and trying to use on a Pro version. Only supply the screen shot if there is additional information.

Jay, the only additional info is a 2nd sentence that says something like "Use a compatible version and try again". These two sentences are contained in an error box that appears in the center of my screen.

I have received this same message in two different places:
(1) Like I initially said, when I am trying to create a Win 7 Pro System Repair Disk. I tried many times and was only successful once.
(2) Then when I booted using this successful disk and arrived at the System Recovery Options screen, any selection I made resulted in this same error box appearing on my screen.

I will try and supply any other info you think might be helpful.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:03 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Jay, the compatibility error occurred again today, so I used my iPhone to take the attached screen shot photo. In all the years I've worked with Windows, I have never seen this message. And over these years I have created Windows System Repair disks using full retail DVDs, upgrade DVDs, and OEM DVD's.

What is really confusing about this error message is that I wasn't trying to repair anything when I got it......I was simply trying to create a System Repair Disk for later use if I ever needed it.

So something is screwy... :dunno:

Attachments:
CompatibleSmaller.jpg
CompatibleSmaller.jpg [ 188.95 KiB | Viewed 25464 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:02 pm 
Fearless Leader

I don't think the message really means anything about repairing it, but just relating to the utility itself. Issue likely created by the OEM operating system. I think you have to use the disk that Velocity Micro sent you.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:37 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I don't think the message really means anything about repairing it, but just relating to the utility itself. Issue likely created by the OEM operating system. I think you have to use the disk that Velocity Micro sent you.

Patty, you are right......if I use my Velocity OEM install disk, all is well. I can indeed get to the System Recovery Menu, where I could select to use a system image to recover my system if I needed to.

But until now, I have always been able to create a System Repair disk and leave my install disk safely tucked away. And for the last 10 or so years (three computers), my OS has always been OEM or an upgrade to that OEM that I later implemented (e.g., upgraded from Vista to Win 7).

So it bugs me that I can't currently create a spare System Repair disk. But you are probably right........it is an OEM issue. I did call Velocity when this first happened, and their only suggestion was to reinstall Win 7 Pro and see if the problem went away. I didn't do that, but I did run 'sfc/scannow' and got no violations.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:22 pm 
welcoming committee

Uhm, why don't you just save the repair disk for repairs, if you ever need them, and use something like Macrium to make a recovery disk for imaging?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Uhm, why don't you just save the repair disk for repairs, if you ever need them, and use something like Macrium to make a recovery disk for imaging?

Pete, I'm not sure how to respond to your puzzling statement, but I will try:

(1) I can't save a repair disk for repairs because I can't create a repair disk.

(2) Macrium doesn't work on my external 4K drives, just like Windows imaging doesn't work on these drives.

(3) I used Acronis True Image 2016 to create a system image; however, because of my Samsung 950Pro SSD, Acronis says I may encounter issues during recovery. Supposedly Acronis is coming out soon with a new (free) build that will address the SSD problem. Several members of the Acronis forum are beta testing this upcoming build and they say it should solve the SSD issue (many of their MVPs have motherboards and Samsung SSDs identical to mine).

I have never not been able to create a Windows System Repair disk on my other Velocity computers, and it bugs me. It should be a trivial task...... :-?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:21 pm 
welcoming committee

1 I meant to say save your OEM disk for repairs. I made one years ago and have never used it.

2. I thought you bought a transcend, that Macrium did work on

3. I've taken Acronis off my systems and just use it from the recovery disk. Desktop version is to me one hot mess.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:53 pm 

Three points if I may...

1) While I agree with Pete that as long as you continue doing images you will probably never need a repair disk except for one specific issue. If something goes haywire with the system boot it is nice to be able to throw in a repair disk and just do 'startup issues' repair.Regardless, you should be able to make a repair disk if you want. Patty has a good point when dealing with most vendors in that you may have to use their disk but I don't think this is the case here. I am correct that your disk is a true OEM install disk not recovery media that accesses a recovery area on your hard drive am I not?

2) If I am not mistaken I believe that you have created a copy of your disk from Velocity. If that disk boots properly use it if you need to do a repair and keep the original safe as you wish. This is perfectly legal under U.S. copyright laws as you are allowed one archival copy of any digital media. If I read things right it is also in the Microsoft license that you can make one backup.

3) While Velocity seems to have an excellent reputation no one is perfect. Call them again and keep calling until everything works as expected. Who knows, it could even be a faulty optical drive.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
1 I meant to say save your OEM disk for repairs. I made one years ago and have never used it.
Velocity supplied me with one OEM Win 7 Pro disk. I like to store those away for safe keeping and use System Repair disks when I have a problem. How did you make your OEM disk, because I may want to make a 2nd one for backup?
2. I thought you bought a transcend, that Macrium did work on
I did buy a Transcend, but I'm using it on my old Velocity computer because I had already removed the 2TB Seagate that I was using there.....it was an older Seagate with a 512 byte sector size, so it worked on my new computer. I do have another Transcend on the way.
3. I've taken Acronis off my systems and just use it from the recovery disk. Desktop version is to me one hot mess.
It took me awhile to figure things out, but I did a chat with an Acronis tech and I asked questions on the Acronis forum. So I think I have figured out how to use the program, and I like it.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Make a copy of the OEM disk, put one away for safe keeping keep one for active use.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:02 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Three points if I may...

1) While I agree with Pete that as long as you continue doing images you will probably never need a repair disk except for one specific issue. If something goes haywire with the system boot it is nice to be able to throw in a repair disk and just do 'startup issues' repair.Regardless, you should be able to make a repair disk if you want. Patty has a good point when dealing with most vendors in that you may have to use their disk but I don't think this is the case here. I am correct that your disk is a true OEM install disk not recovery media that accesses a recovery area on your hard drive am I not?
Well, again you and Pete are smarter than me. If I have a problem and need to restore my system using an image I created, how do I get to this image? Always before, I would boot up using my System Repair disk and then select to repair my computer by doing a restore from a previous image. That's the only way I know.

Yes you are correct. My disk is a true Win 7 Pro OEM install disk, with a Windows product key code for verification. Velocity did the basic installation, but then I had to enter user data and the key code. There is no recovery area on my hard drive.

2) If I am not mistaken I believe that you have created a copy of your disk from Velocity. If that disk boots properly use it if you need to do a repair and keep the original safe as you wish. This is perfectly legal under U.S. copyright laws as you are allowed one archival copy of any digital media. If I read things right it is also in the Microsoft license that you can make one backup.
I am not sure if I created a copy of my disk from Velocity or not. With your guidance, I did use Microburner to create an ISO file from my Velocity install disk. And I did burn this ISO file to a DVD using the Windows Disk Image Burn utility. So maybe that qualifies as a copy....I don't know. But regardless, booting with this DVD produces the same 'Not Compatible' error.

3) While Velocity seems to have an excellent reputation no one is perfect. Call them again and keep calling until everything works as expected. Who knows, it could even be a faulty optical drive
Tonight, I submitted a written support request to Velocity. In their website FAQ section, they talk about the importance of creating a System Repair disc. I told them I agreed, then attached a photo of the error I get. It usually takes them a couple of days to respond to written requests.

I called them a couple of weeks ago about this issue, and the phone tech's response was for me to reinstall Win 7 Pro and see if the problem goes away. I ain't doing that at this point, because I don't think it's an installation problem.

Neither do I think that my optical drive is faulty. After working with the Acronis techs, I can now boot into their recovery menu. Admittedly I had to play with my UEFI BIOS settings (and play and play, lol).

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:08 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Make a copy of the OEM disk, put one away for safe keeping keep one for active use.

How to do that, David? Jay asked if I had made a copy, and I answered I wasn't sure (see above posting).

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:13 pm 

dvair wrote:

While I would do this as a matter of course it seems to be treating the symptom, not the ill.

Something seems to not be right. Sort of combining threads here but there have been issues since bbarry's new system arrived concerning the optical drive. Some of this has already been solved via his contacting Velocity and their leading through some setting changes. Some have been solved by his switching from Verbatim disks to another brand.

Still there are issues with his ability to create a bootable disk where there should be no issue. It could still just be a settings issue or it could be a problem with the optical drive; I just don't know.

My personal view on this is that there is either a hardware issue, settings issue or a fault in the vendor's install of Windows. Therefore it is up to the vendor to solve the issue.

Sigh, again, I do not know the answer to this issue. If I had the system in front of me I could mayhaps come up with a solution but that is not the case.

Please understand that I am not at all putting down any suggestion made. I just think that we are offering methods to circumvent the issue instead of trying to cure the issue.

In my opinion (right or wrong) I feel that this is a true OEM install which should allow the creation of a Recovery Disk through Windows yet this is not the case as the attempt fails. This tells me that there is an issue, whether software or hardware, with the system and it is up to the vendor to resolve.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:26 pm 

bbarry wrote:
dvair wrote:

How to do that, David? Jay asked if I had made a copy, and I answered I wasn't sure (see above posting).

Right click on the ISO and select to open with 'Windows Disk Image Burner'. Have a blank DVD in the optical drive and let it go. Make sure to click the check box asking if you want the burn to be verified. Try booting to the DVD. Make sure that you use an ISO that was actually made from the Velocity supplied disk. If you made such a disk from a full retail copy of the install it would not work with the Velocity key code.

LOL! This post may seem contrary to my last as to treating the symptom instead of the ill but really is not. I still want to cure the ill but also want bbarry to have a backup copy of the install disk.

BTW as an aside to bbarry... Jot down that OEM key code and tape it to the inside or back of the case. Just safe keeping if the 'stamped' key code becomes damaged and cannot be read.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:40 pm 

bbarry wrote:
If I have a problem and need to restore my system using an image I created, how do I get to this image? Always before, I would boot up using my System Repair disk and then select to repair my computer by doing a restore from a previous image. That's the only way I know.

I hope for a solution that involves your just being able to create a restore disk but you still should not have an issue at this point involving restoring an image.

1) If the Image is from Acronis I believe that you said that you have a working Acronis WinPE restore disk. You would boot to this disk and then select to restore an image.

2) If a Windows Image, at this point, you would boot to your OEM install disk and select the repair options. You would then select to restore an image.

3) Even if you cannot get a Windows image to restore using the install disk it SEEMS that Acronis will restore a Windows created image. While I have not tested this Acronis shows my Windows images when I select to show possible images to restore.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Again right product choice is so important. While I do use Acronis, there is a reason I use Macrium. When you boot to the recovery environment one of the tools available is a boot repair.

A couple of months back something happened to my Lenovo, and it wouldn't boot. Wouldn't even access it's it hidden recovery. As I talked to the tech hardware seemed unlikely. I had booted to my usb macrium key, and with nothing to loose I ran the boot repair. Bingo back to normal. I just don't really need a repair disk.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:53 pm 

Peter2150 wrote:
Again right product choice is so important. While I do use Acronis, there is a reason I use Macrium. When you boot to the recovery environment one of the tools available is a boot repair.

A couple of months back something happened to my Lenovo, and it wouldn't boot. Wouldn't even access it's it hidden recovery. As I talked to the tech hardware seemed unlikely. I had booted to my usb macrium key, and with nothing to loose I ran the boot repair. Bingo back to normal. I just don't really need a repair disk.

I agree Pete that this is an option but it seems to me to still be circumventing the issue instead of addressing the issue. Bbarry should be able to create a working Windows recovery disk but can't. Again I must say that I believe that this is up to the vendor to resolve. Whether Macrium could solve the issue seems, to me, to not be relevant. He should not have to install a third party software package to resolve a Windows issue for which the vendor would seem to be responsible.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:31 am 
welcoming committee

True enough but they may want him to reinstall Windows to put it back to original settings. He could himself image his system, clean install windows, try making the disk, and then restore image.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:24 am 
Fearless Leader

Perhaps... but he might not be able to boot to the boot disc then.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:49 am 
welcoming committee

Heh, I'd like to say something, probably redundant because I've said it so many times before. Plus much of this thread is over my head, not your faults, but mine, I just don't know that much about this particular stuff, so please bear with me.

Simply make a backup of your entire system when it is brand new. I've always done this and have never had to reinstall Windows or been unable to recover from boot problems. I started with Win98SE and have always been able to recover (believe me, back in the Win98SE days good recovery programs were hard to find). AND, use more than one program. There was one time when I had to go to my THIRD recovery program to recover, which happened to be the built-in Windows imaging on Win7. I thought that I would, for the very first time ever, have to reinstall Windows using the OEM disk. But as a last resort I tried the Microsoft program. Bingo, back to normal, it took forever-and-a-half, but it still recovered me when the others had failed, this was before I had Macrium. That is why I will always have some respect for the Microsoft program and still wonder why MS now hides it.

So I swear by recovery programs, they do not necessarily have to be imaging programs but they must be able to recover you from unbootable situations. If I may shamelessly put in a plug for Macirum: you do not even need a recovery cd or usb key to recover (actually, same with Instant Recovery).

Thanks for listening again to my verbal vomit,
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:59 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Perhaps... but he might not be able to boot to the boot disc then.

Why? Early on Velocity Micro would look at the stuff on my system, suspect it was the software not hardware. So I'd image and then they would have me do a clean windows install. They'd trouble shoot, find the hardware problem and fix it. I'd restore my image and all was well.

I'd also add if any thing he did prevented booting from the boot disk, then it was never any good to begin with.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:20 pm 

In fairness it has to be mentioned that Velocity has recommended that bbarry do a clean install but he does not wish to do so. It is not impossible that this will make the issue unsolvable and circumventing is all we have.

Yes, bbarry does have image backups at least via Acronis. I believe there is also a viable Windows Imaging backup. Even if there is no restore disk for Windows the restore could be started within Windows. Also it APPEARS that Acronis will restore a Windows Imaging backup.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Well if he has a good Acronis image he shouldn't need the repair disk. It's restore should fix everything.

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery