Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
... Acronis ... It's restore should fix everything.

Bingo. ANY good recovery program now days should be able to recover you, otherwise leave that program and look to another. There are so many more excellent programs nowadays. Just pick one, or two, or three (some of them are free) and protect yourselves. This is one thing that I have never been able to understand: why do people complain about major problems when a SIMPLE backup could recover them within minutes, and "minutes" is no exaggeration, compared to days to reinstalling EVERYTHING. :dunno:

Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Looks like you all have been busy while I slept (last night) and went to the dentist (this morning). And I do sincerely appreciate all the advice/recommendations/comments that I am receiving.

I realize that without having a system identical to mine sitting in front of you, it's difficult to understand all my issues and the UEFI BIOS settings that I've already had to make. At this point, I just need to do some more research and tweaking of my various settings.

Currently I don't expect much help from Velocity, although as a long-time repeat customer, they haven't heard the last from me. This morning they answered my support request for help with my 'Not Compatible' error with the following statement:
"The windows disk that came with the PC functions as the repair disk, no additional disks should need to be created unless the original disc is lost or damaged. In the event that you do need to create a new windows 7 disc please go HERE, put in your COA, and download the win7 iso to create the disc."

I did Google my error statement this morning and got some results & recommendations from the Microsoft community. Some of these I don't understand yet, so it will take some more study on my part. Obviously I'm not the only one with this problem, and the jest of some recommended solutions that have worked for other users include:
- "If there is more than one HDD in the system, then the windows system disk has to be on a lower channel than any other disc and must be the first disc in the boot priority list; either that, or all discs but the system disc should be disabled in the BIOS." {I don't know how this plays with the fact that with a UEFI BIOS comes this thing called Windows Boot Manager.}
- Another suggestion is to "unplug all external devices and disable EFI in BIOS, then you can select Repair your Computer and restore your computer with your system image". {Currently, I can't execute the Repair option without getting my error message.}
- And yet another is to "put your system restore image on bootable USB drive, boot from the Install Disk, keep your USB device unplugged and click Repair your Computer, and wait until you get a message about not having a valid system restore before you plug in the USB drive".

Obviously I have many settings to experiment with, and I will keep you posted in regard to status. And in all fairness to all of you, I don't expect you to devote more time to this issue until I come up with better results.

In closing:
@Jay - I am going to try as you suggested and use my Acronis restore disk just to see if it recognizes my Windows image. And yes I have created four system images (2 Windows and 2 Acronis). You mentioned that I could do a restore from within Windows. Do you mean that I can restore a Windows image from inside Windows, without going through the Repair Your Computer dialog? As regards my Acronis image and restore, remember that Acronis techs said because of my Samsung 950Pro SSD, I may encounter issues trying to do a recovery until Acronis releases the next build. So right now, between my Samsung SSD and my UEFI BIOS settings perhaps still not correct, I'm sorta in a tough spot right now. Luckily my new computer is operating just fine (and man is it fast), so I don't need to do any restore.

@Pete - I too hope I will never need my Windows Repair disk, but I've always had one and I want to be able to generate one now. Maybe Velocity's ISO download will suffice - I won't know until I try it. I have always liked two ways of generating and restoring images....currently I am using Acronis and Windows. I'm just not interested in Macrium.....tried the free version and didn't like it. Admittedly, I was hoping that there was enough similarity between our newest Velocity computers that I could at least gain an understanding of some of your UEFI BIOS settings, but I guess not.

@Acadia - Verbal vomit is OK. Some of this stuff is obviously over my head also, lol.

Thanks again to everyone for getting involved in my issues. I certainly didn't anticipate that they would be so time consuming.....

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:12 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't mess with the bios settings. I got a working system from them, and won't fool with those settings.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
I don't mess with the bios settings. I got a working system from them, and won't fool with those settings.

Well, you are lucky then. I did not get a working system.....I had to call Velocity, and they told me what BIOS settings to change. My system came to me totally unable to recognize any install or boot disk in my DVD/CD device. The system totally ignored this DVD player......the player wasn't listed in the BIOS boot order or in the Boot menu obtained via F8. I don't know why they shipped it that way, because I would never have been able to do a boot from an Install disk or a Recovery disk. Velocity tech sorta said "oops....you'll need to change the CSM setting".

Believe me, I didn't buy the computer to play with the BIOS....especially this new UEFI BIOS that I had never seen before. But I had no choice, unless I wanted to ship the unit back.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:52 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
bbarry wrote:
...... You mentioned that I could do a restore from within Windows. Do you mean that I can restore a Windows image from inside Windows, without going through the Repair Your Computer dialog?.....

Within Windows you would go to Backup and Restore.
Select to Recover System Settings or Your Computer.
Select Advanced Recovery Methods.
Select to use a System Image.....

Whether this method would work as to carrying over the needed drivers for your SSD when the system reboots I cannot say. I would think that it would but, of course, I cannot test.

BTW, If you have update notifications turned on in Acronis start up the thing. Well start it up anyway. There is a new version ready for install. If you do not have Auto update check enabled go to the account tab and I think that it will still show that one is available. It may just be the release that has the drivers for your SSD.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:59 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, thanks for the image restore instructions and the heads-up on Acronis new version....I will check it out in the morning.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:19 pm 
welcoming committee

I finally communicated with the Director of Engineering at Velocity Micro where I bought my computer. Here is what he told me about my Skylake system with the Samsung 950 Pro boot drive:

"The specific boot drive selected in your system is a newer bleeding edge technology called NVMe. Windows 7 does not natively support this drive, so an external driver is required to get the OS to be able to recognize it. With that being said, the built in restore process in windows 7 will not function due to the NVMe drive being your boot drive. We actually do not recommend using the built in windows restore, because it is not as robust as other solutions out there that will allow you to make images to restore from."

He said they use both Macrium and Acronis. I'm already using Acronis, so now I guess I will forget Windows and turn to Macrium as my second imaging program (don't anyone tell Pete this).

@Smitty: I think you have the same Samsung 500GB drive, so I'm just curious. Have you ever tried to create a System Repair Disc for restoring a Windows system image on your Win 7 Pro computer?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:58 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
...don't anyone tell Pete this...

:rofl2:
Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Personally I consider it at least negligent, if not worse, on the part of Velocity to sell a system with hardware that is not compatible with the installed OS without a full disclosure of this fact to the customer. This is just NOT acceptable.

I'm sorry but it MAY be possible that Velocity has grown beyond the point of being a 'great' company.

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery