Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Forum Rules, FAQ and feedback » Feedback Forum

Post subject: posting photos
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:33 am 
welcoming committee

A few questions about posting general photos taken by ourselves (so no copyright issues). I only ever want to post photos of scenery, pets or items. No recognisable people in general scenes because it's not possible to ask them if they mind their photo ending up on the Internet. No children either. So...

* Being a primarily a computer forum, would such photos such be welcome or not?
* If they would be, should they be posted in 'Ten Forward' or 'General Discussion'?
* Also if they would be, should every photo be posted as a new thread or added to an existing one?
* What maximum pixel size and file size would be preferred?

I'm not all that well travelled but nearly always carry a camera while out on UK day trips and bike rides. No worries if a regular trail of photos (sometimes none, sometimes one or two a day, or one or two a week) isn't suitable for here.

Had a day out to Portsmouth this week. Took photos of HMS Victory and HMS Warrior. Also some general seaside scenes. I thought about showing them here as as an aside interest but am unsure of the above.

Thanks

Mart.

Post subject: Re: posting photos
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:56 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
We would love to see your photos! :)

You may post any such photos in either Ten Forward or General Discussion, really it is your choice.

As to if photos should be one per thread/post or grouped I would suggest that as long as they are about the same basic subject they are fine to be grouped. If they span different subjects it would probably be better to do different threads to avoid confusion with responses.

Just to avoid the 'stretching' of the site page where a horizontal scrollbar appears we would like to see the width to be 1024 pixels or less.

Please keep in mind that, while we want any image that deals with the solution to a user's issue to be uploaded directly to the site as an attachment, we DO ask that, due to server storage space, any non user issue images to be linked from an image hosting site via the link to the image embedded within the IMG tag. There are MANY such image hosting sites available such as Photo Bucket. I will even promote myself here a bit and mention that I also have an image hosting site at:
http://photogallery2.jaylach.com
It is totally free and you are welcome to use. Does not have the bells and whistles of a site such as Photo Bucket but the image quality is as uploaded as there is no file compression.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:06 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay - I usually use Photobucket. Thanks for the offer of hosting and if I ever get any trouble with Photobucket, I'll ask about it.

I'll keep photo sizes to 800 maximum picture size (height or width). Still big enough to see but keeps file sizes down a bit.

Thanks again :)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:48 am 

No problem. :) I do a bit of shooting myself. ;) As you will see below there is ZERO issue with posting shots. :mrgreen:

I look forward to seeing your photos! :)

Here is one that I really like. In fact it is the center of my main photo wall as an 11X14 print in a 14X20 matted frame.

Here is another that has been liked. This is also mounted in a 14X20 matted frame but on a different wall.

And here is a good friend even though a royal pain. Not actually a friend any more as it has grown up and I haven't been in it's area in a long time... Two years ago, when I was in this critter's area, it would follow me like a lost puppy wanting treats. Sigh, who would think that a Mule Deer would absolutely LOVE an orange??? :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:44 am 
welcoming committee

Great shots Jay. :) A pity your friend no longer visits.

I'll be going to the Farnborough Airshow this year and hope to come away with some good photos of aircraft.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:28 am 

Oh, if I were still where I was at, I'm sure that the critter and I would still be friends. I have to admit that the silly critter was kind of cool but it was also a pain. In the area that I had this friend all the mule deer were almost like pets. For humans with any intelligence this was rather cool. Sadly not too many humans have intelligence... There were problems such as idiots trying to grab and ride the danged things... not going to happen. :)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:00 am 

It was nice to see your friend back Jay, wonder if he'd recognise you if you went back. :-)

I'd recommend Jays photo gallery Mart, it's a great place to store photo's you'd also see GG's work there, it's very impressive. ;-)

Board index » Forum Rules, FAQ and feedback » Feedback Forum