Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Forum Rules, FAQ and feedback » Feedback Forum

Post subject: Threads, quoting?
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Not sure what's changed but something has.. I'm seeing multiple posts quoted in my replies despite consciously removing the previous poster text and coding form my reply?

Not sure if that makes sense, see my posts tonight... and that by Joan in response to at least one of my posts.

Post subject: Re: Threads, quoting?
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Doddie wrote:
Not sure what's changed but something has.. I'm seeing multiple posts quoted in my replies despite consciously removing the previous poster text and coding form my reply?

Not sure if that makes sense, see my posts tonight... and that by Joan in response to at least one of my posts.

test #1

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 pm 

jaylach wrote:
Doddie wrote:

test #1

Test #2

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:34 pm 

jaylach wrote:
jaylach wrote:
Doddie wrote:

test #1

Test #2

Test #3
I don't think that I'm following what you see Doddie...

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:43 pm 
welcoming committee

With a lot of nested quotes it does sometimes get confusing but if you look closely, that is all that is happening. If you look at this thread, viewtopic.php?p=19855#p19855 where the progressions starts with Jay quoting me and adding a reply. What follows:

-- You quoted Jay who quoted me and added your own reply.
-- Joan quoted your reply which included Jay's quote of my comment along with his reply.

That said, following nested quotes here are a bit confusing, particularly since the actual quote doesn't "stand out". I tried to find a public example of nested quotes at LzD but didn't have any luck so pretended to reply to a PM with nested quotes, just replacing the actual content. Note how the quotes include the date and time with the that information in bold and the quotes alternating color shading. The image has been resized in order to comply with forum settings. But, even with the bold and alternating darker/lighter text text in the quotes, it can still be necessary to follow closely when looking at an "real" discussion topic.

Attachment:
Nested Quotes.PNG
Nested Quotes.PNG [ 57.28 KiB | Viewed 3853 times ]

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Corrine, the thread you linked to was one example where I'm pretty sure i removed the text and code to stop that happening, i.e. prior to sending the post i removed:
"[xxxxx="Corrine"]Thanks, Jay and Acadia. Most forums frown against bumping old threads. I promise to only do so if I feel the contribution may be of interest.[/xxxxx]"

That should have left the following however somehow it didn't stick...
"[xxxxx="jaylach"]We are pretty liberal here. ;) We even get just a touch off topic once in a while... :rofl2:[/xxxxx]
Speak for yourself, i always keep things on topic unless i or others want to talk about something else! :harhar:"

xxxxx = quote

If no-one else had/has the same issue i guess it's been a gremlin at my end, hopefully just a one off.

Board index » Forum Rules, FAQ and feedback » Feedback Forum