Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:05 am 

I am not too happy with Microsoft because of the Windows Update few minutes ago. I have no idea what is the update of Microsoft for Windows 7. Anyway my computer kept crashing after configuring 32% of the update. I am not sure how to roll back in System Restore? I believe that I can do in Safe Mode? Is that correct? If it is which Safe Mode because there are two with one in command prompt and other in networking. Let me know how to get this to roll back in System Restore?

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

FIRST: Try Last Known Configuration:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

Yes, you may be able to remove the update after starting in Safe Mode.
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:58 pm 
welcoming committee

John, first of all, listen to Stephen. Then after recovering, start using a good imaging program for your system, if you do not already have one, BUT START USING THE DARN THING. Always take a complete image of your entire drive BEFORE attempting any Windows updates. Trust me on this. Thru the years for me, and many other folks, it has paid off preciously: simply recover to that last image and you are good to go as if nothing had never happened and you now are all ready to trust Microsoft all over again: :mad2: :mad3: :mad6: :mad7: :fun84:

Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:45 pm 

I have tried with Steve' suggestions in both and nothing change at all. It's still the same with up to 32% configuring of the Windows Update then got the blue screen -- crashed.

Guess that I have to take my desktop to the computer repair shop to have them look at and see why it won't finish the update.

Anyway here is what I got the information about the error from the screen of B.S.O.D. below?

0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880074BC788, 0xFFFFF8800337EFB8, 0xFFFFF8800337E810)

RTSTOR64.SYS -- Address FFFFF880074BC788
base at FFFFF880074B4000, Datestamp 46f28594

I am not sure what is the error above?

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Which update are you doing that causes this? If you are doing a bunch at one time , try doing one at a time to narrow down which one is causing the issue.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:06 pm 

I have no idea. All I did is to turn on my desktop and Windows Update download itself and tell me to restart then configuring the update. That's what happen with this this morning? I have no idea what updates are included for Windows 7 Home Premium?

I was trying to get an image of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 but couldn't.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:22 pm 
welcoming committee

Go into the Control Panel and run Windows Update manually then try installing one at a time, you should then be able to narrow down what is happening. It will take some time as there will be a lot of rebooting.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:12 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
David, it would appear that he cannot boot to Windows. It blue screens at configuring Windows.

John, do you have a retail copy of the Windows install disk? I believe that you do. If you boot to that DVD I believe that you will have the option to restore to an earlier date. This is the same as doing a restore point from within Windows. If that works follow David's advice and apply the updates one at a time but create a new restore point between each update. Better yet do as Acadia stated and create a system image.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:58 pm 

Jay -- you are correct that I can't boot Windows and got that far but won't let me do System Restore on my DVD. Do you know where to find a genuine Microsoft Windows Home Premium 7 x64 copy to download online. I got one but don't think that works with my Acer Aspire M3450-ER20P (desktop). I should have done to create a system image in the first place. I learned my lesson and will do this after the desktop is fixed. I have to take to local Staples store and they have to look at and might have to send to Acer Canada because it's still under warranty. I only have 3 months so far with my new desktop. Anyway want to say to everyone here in this forum for trying to help me with the problem that I faced it today.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:28 pm 
Fearless Leader

Do you have any USB devices attached to your computer? If so, unplug them, then see if the machine will boot. That driver file, RTSTOR64.SYS, has to do with storage devices. That would be hard drive or USB drives.

This is likely some kind of hardware or driver error. If your machine is only 3 months old, you may have a situation that is covered by warranty.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:44 am 
welcoming committee

This site has Legitimate downloads of Windows 7 with SP1 already integrated:

http://webtrickz.com/official-windows-7-sp1-integrated-direct-download-links/

I have personally used these to install with and they work just fine, you just use your Product Key when installing.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:48 am 
welcoming committee

Another thing to try is tapping F8 at the start and trying to get into the Repair My Computer selection. Might be able to do a start up repair or possibly a system restore. This is not Safe Mode, this is the recovery tools that are built into the small System Reserved partition that is on the Windows 7 drives.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:46 pm 

I took my desktop to Staples that where I bought from. The technician there told me that I have a hard drive failure and will replace with warranty. But my bad news is that I did not save any files from my desktop. Next time I will get an external hard drive to back up the files that I have in my desktop.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

That was certainly unfortunate. Glad that it is covered under warranty, though.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 pm 
Fearless Leader

Yes, I was afraid of that.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 am 

As of today's date I still have not got my desktop back from the vendor. Should be ready this week I hope. My understanding is that the vendor ordered the new hard drive a week ago from today. So it shouldn't be too long before get my desktop back from the vendor.

John

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 pm 
Fearless Leader

If it was a hard drive issue, then it had nothing to do with Microsoft's update.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows