Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:55 pm 

Earlier today I ran the program of Windows 7 Upgrade from Microsoft. With one part I am not sure and thought that I should post here before I go further to go ahead to upgrade the operating system of Windows on my laptop. The laptop that I have is Toshiba Satellite Toshiba Satellite A210-MS6 which is 1.9 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile with 2GB memory rams. Here is the report below:

Custom installation required
You'll need to perform a custom installation of 64-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.
Go online to get important information about custom installation

CPU speed: 800 MHz
Your CPU doesn't meet the 1 GHz minimum requirement, so your PC may run slowly when running Windows 7. Contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if a CPU upgrade is available.

1.9 GB of RAM
Your PC needs at least 2 GB of RAM for 64-bit Windows 7 for optimal performance. Contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.

Now you see above with 3 paragraphs about my laptop. Is it a possibility to upgrade or not with this laptop.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

I assume you are running X86 Vista (32 Bit), hence the report that you cannot upgrade, but perform a fresh install (custom install) of Windows 7 X64. Even if the processor is 64 bot capable, you can upgrade using 32 bit x86 Windows 7.
The Upgrade Advisor thinks that your processor is only 800 MHz. Are you sure of the specs?
The 2 Gigs vs. 1.9 Gigs of RAM is not an issue. You have 2 Gigs installed, but part of it is being used for video.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Here is a link to what I can find about your system. Is the info in the link correct as to being the same system that you own?
http://www.dbusguy.com/computer/laptop.htm

If the systems match then you are getting a false report from the Windows 7 Update Advisor.

What really concerns me about this system is the video card only having 128 meg dedicated and 191 meg shared. Still, if the system runs Vista decently, I would think that it would do well with Windows 7. The real issue is if you can find Windows 7 drivers for the thing. Often Vista drivers will work with Win 7 but that is not 100%. While Win 7 is pretty good at installing its own drivers from Microsoft there is no guarantee that drivers will be found for all the hardware.

The reason that you would need to do a custom install (or clean install) is probably due to a version mix-match. From the above link I believe that your Vista version is probably Home Premium. I believe that you could do an upgrade install to Win 7 but only if you used the same version of Win 7 as Vista. It has been so long since I've used Vista that I'm not sure on the last. Or, as Steve said while I was typing, ;) it is the difference between your having a 32 bit Vista version and going to a 64 bit Win 7.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:08 pm 

Want to say thank you to Steve and Jay for these answers that I need to know. Jay -- you posted the link and that is the one I have here with me to type an reply here in the forum. OK what I am plan to do with this laptop is to have a clean install not upgrade to Windows 7 also plan to get another solid state drive into this laptop as well. That's my goal to put a new solid state drive and a clean install of Windows 7 in my laptop.

Thank you again,

John

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:27 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Glad to help but, with the system that you have, I am inclined to think that you might do better with a memory upgrade to 4 gig instead of the solid state drive.

Hmmm, possibly not upgrade either the drive or memory... With your video card the system isn't going to do either intense games or graphics rendering well at all. My honest opinion would be to set the money aside as a start toward a newer system.

I'm a bit curious as to why you want to upgrade this system. Does it not run and do what you want? While switching to Win 7 may actually improve performance some it will not be to a large extent. What size solid state drive are you looking at? Unless you stay at the current drive size of 120 GB you are probably looking at a price of at least $200.00. Add $100.00-$120.00 for Windows 7 and you are well on your way to a newer and much stronger system.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:38 am 

Guess that I better get the memory ram first before go further to do with my laptop. More likely to get the Solid State Drive then think about the upgrading or clean full install with Windows 7 Home Premium.

John

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows