Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Here is the link to the Asus if you want to look again.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4935

From what you say you want to do I think that anything would probably do for you.

It the Asus that came with Windows 10 runs well why don't you just use that?

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Bbarry! its good to know there are still good deals even at local stores (of which a lot of ours have closed of late) so will keep an eye on Walmart deals. I've never tried Acer but there are a LOT of brands I haven't tried.

As for the offer of the 3 page Word doc showing the Win 7 and Win 10 changes, I would LOVE to accept that! Thanks so much for this. I've used Win10 on this my HP laptop which the laptop is about set to be retired but I really am not sure what is different because I don't use everything. So thanks so much and will watch for the delivery! No big hurry!!! :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:02 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay, your updated link to the Asus laptop seems to be down $6 ;). Not that I'm dickering on a couple dollars but I sure did love the stats on this one. You asked why I don't use my current Win10 but it is an HP and its been upgraded maybe 5+ times already, including replacing the MS Office which has taken a hit over time. It would just be nice to have a new laptop that would have a lot more space and memory & it might be quicker using a newer MS Office version. Its well worth the upgrade! The laptop that I want to upgrade to Win10 is a Dell and its newer but since it won't upgrade to Win10 from Win7, that is the one that needs to be updated to W10. I will still find a use for it as Win7, its still pretty new.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Joan for the info!! I would probably do fine without a dvd drive, I haven't needed one for couple yrs. I do have an external hdd for backups where in the distant past I had used dvds. External drive works super and has tons of room. I would like more USB ports than 2 (if I still need the cooling fan) but have to look at the Asus Jay sent the link to again, just to see. I currently use a laptop cooling fan but maybe a new laptop would not need that and save a USB port. Also I could use an HDMI port and media card port so need to check those out also; thanks for the reminders!! :) katy :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:18 am 
welcoming committee

katy98 wrote:
Hi Bbarry! its good to know there are still good deals even at local stores (of which a lot of ours have closed of late) so will keep an eye on Walmart deals. I've never tried Acer but there are a LOT of brands I haven't tried.

As for the offer of the 3 page Word doc showing the Win 7 and Win 10 changes, I would LOVE to accept that! Thanks so much for this. I've used Win10 on this my HP laptop which the laptop is about set to be retired but I really am not sure what is different because I don't use everything. So thanks so much and will watch for the delivery! No big hurry!!! :)

Katy, the document is attached. Some of the hardware paragraphs may be a little different for whatever laptop you purchase, but the concepts are the same. Let me know if you have any questions. I prepared this document for a specific person and her new Acer laptop, but hopefully you will find it helpful.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this document is a couple of years old, so at the time I was talking about using Internet Explorer (rather than the default Edge) and Windows Live Mail (rather than the default Mail).

Attachments:
Using Your New Acer Laptop with Windows 10.docx [22.46 KiB]
Downloaded 223 times

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Twice now I've tried to reply and had to go back to look at something and lost it all so just wanted to thank everyone for all their help and suggestions and especially to Jay, bbarry, sboots, Joan and if I missed anyone, please forgive me as I can't go back to look or I'll lose everything for a 4th time :(. Will order the Asus tomorrow, can't wait to see it delivered!!! THANKS SO MUCH!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

You are most welcome. :-) Enjoy the new PC when it arrives.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:33 pm 

Best of luck with the new system! :) Just remember that, while it should do fine for your usage, it is nowhere near a 'super system' if you are talking about the Asus that I linked.

Also remember that you will need to install any software so be prepared. Also, first thing to do, go to the Asus site and make sure that you get all the latest device drivers for the system.

As to your losing posts in progress I trust that you opened other links for info in a new tab. If you opened info sources in the same tab as the post in progress you would have left the post page and aborted. I don't know why but I can actually get away with doing that and then hitting the back button to get back to the post page with what I had already done intact.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:50 pm 
welcoming committee

katy98 wrote:
Twice now I've tried to reply and had to go back to look at something and lost it all so just wanted to thank everyone for all their help and suggestions and especially to Jay, bbarry, sboots, Joan and if I missed anyone, please forgive me as I can't go back to look or I'll lose everything for a 4th time :(. Will order the Asus tomorrow, can't wait to see it delivered!!! THANKS SO MUCH!! katy

Katy, congrats on your new forthcoming Asus. In regards to losing things when you go back, my experience has been that if I reply using the Full Editor, then I can go back to previous pages in the same post. But if I use the Quick Reply and try to go back to previous pages in the same post, then like you I lose everything, i.e., I lose what I have been typing in the Quick Reply.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:54 pm 

bbarry wrote:
katy98 wrote:

Katy, congrats on your new forthcoming Asus. In regards to losing things when you go back, my experience has been that if I reply using the Full Editor, then I can go back to previous pages in the same post. But if I use the Quick Reply and try to go back to previous pages in the same post, then like you I lose everything, i.e., I lose what I have been typing in the Quick Reply.

BB, I believe that you are correct in that I can go back to a posting page if using the full editor but not quick reply. Still the best practice is to use a new tab if you need to go to a resource for the post

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 pm 
welcoming committee

True to all! In other situations on other sites like FB I know enough to open another page on a new tab but didn't think about that this time. And also Full Editor is something I wish I had used in previous posts because it has better emocons or whatever they are called (emoticons?) Its all a learning process but I sure appreciate all the reminders; makes me know I was thinking right, just a little late :).

And Jay you mentioned to remember I need to install all programs which would include Office annual, I think the size of the memory and hdd space on the Asus should be big enough. Please holler if I am wrong!! :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:57 pm 

katy98 wrote:
True to all! In other situations on other sites like FB I know enough to open another page on a new tab but didn't think about that this time. And also Full Editor is something I wish I had used in previous posts because it has better emocons or whatever they are called (emoticons?) Its all a learning process but I sure appreciate all the reminders; makes me know I was thinking right, just a little late :).

And Jay you mentioned to remember I need to install all programs which would include Office annual, I think the size of the memory and hdd space on the Asus should be big enough. Please holler if I am wrong!! :)

Oh, if you are talking about the Asus I linked, the drive space will not be an issue as it is, if I remember current specs right, 4 times the storage space you now have.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:54 am 
welcoming committee

Well the deed is done! According to Tiger Direct and UPS it should be here Tues. (that's fast!) I hope I'm home when its delivered, even small towns complexes have people patrolling looking for packages but the neighbor guy gets packages all the time and he's never had anything taken. Will keep you posted! :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent! You can have UPS redirect the package to an "Access Point" location -- typically a UPS facility, UPS Store, or even a local business designated as an Access Point.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:59 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Stephen, wish I could call our access point in Mfld but it isn't even open on Sunday and neither UPS or TD mentioned this possibility to me, so thanks much for telling me, for next time. I've used this Wepak store before so I know where it is in my town but sometimes a quick delivery isn't a good thing lol. I'll try to call the store tomorrow but I doubt its possible to change delivery location on Monday for Tuesday. Thanks again! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:00 pm 

If you want to get a head start here is a link to the current drivers for the new laptop.
https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/X55 ... _Download/

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:02 am 
Site Admin

katy98 wrote:
Thanks Stephen, wish I could call our access point in Mfld but it isn't even open on Sunday and neither UPS or TD mentioned this possibility to me, so thanks much for telling me, for next time. I've used this Wepak store before so I know where it is in my town but sometimes a quick delivery isn't a good thing lol. I'll try to call the store tomorrow but I doubt its possible to change delivery location on Monday for Tuesday. Thanks again! katy

I should have clarified -- to redirect to an Access Point you would need to sign up for a UPS MyChoice account at www.ups.com or wait until a delivery attempt and notice was left.
I trust that your delivery will go without a hitch. If TD did not require a signature at delivery and the package is left and you don't get it, contact TD.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:17 am 
welcoming committee

Will do steve! Even though I wasn't signed up for the MyChoice account this time, knowing its available could make a world of difference in the future..... Thanks again for the info! :) and Thanks Jay for the drivers!! I'll drop a line here when the delivery is done :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, my order came while I was home so no worries about that. But part of the power cord cable set was missing, I checked boxes and packing material. The missing is the AC power adapter that plugs into the power source. Is there such a thing as a universal power adapter I might be able to buy somewhere locally that could work? The 2 I have I do still use on the HP laptop and Dell laptop. I did call TD and only got customer service agent who was away from his station so I left a message but that was 3 hrs ago and he hasn't called back. Not sure what to do :(. Also, our internet went out 20 mins after delivery and tho I got on just now, post doesn't want to send (site can't be reached). katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:50 pm 

You could get a universal power supply but should not have to do so. If you don't get a response soon from Tiger Direct I'd directly contact Asus.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Ok Jay, since it is probably easier to get a real person from Asus?? I didn't hear yet from one from TD. Just a heads up though, I'd like to buy a universal p.s. while I'm trying to find a real person because its easier for me to keep my mind on one issue at a time. Maybe I could even return the u.p.s. cable once the Asus one gets here.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 pm 

If you want to get a universal I'd suggest a local computer shop if available and taking the laptop with you to make sure of a good match although just about any electronics shop such as Radio Shack would probably carry.. Yes, if you buy a universal, you could probably return.

Since you bought something that I put up I'm sorry for the missing part but, sometimes, such things happen. When I got my refurbished Asus over 7 years ago the battery was bad. Asus sent me a new battery without my even having to send back the bad one.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:39 pm 
welcoming committee

Aw Jay, what happened wasn't your fault and I've ordered from TD before and as I said, I've always been happy with them. Not sure where the laptop was packaged and shipped from, may not even have been TD for all we know. The page inside the box says from PCM Returns, Columbus OH, the website address is CA, tracking shows the shipment started in Austell, GA; with online orders, one really never knows for sure where items are shipped from.

I'm super glad that's all it was!! We do have a local PC shop in town I was recently told about to have great help so I'll go there with the laptop and what power items did come. This should be quite easy and there is NO hurry! I'm more worried about how difficult it might be 'for me' to tie the laptop to wifi/router and of course the printer but that's not now. That'll be next week. CHaven has awesome help and I thank God I know you all!! :) Please bear with me :). katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 pm 

As to Wi-Fi you would just click on the network icon in the area around he system clock for your connection and select your WI-fi. Enter your credentials and it should be good and done.

As to your printer you will have to install the thing on the new system. Even if you have an initial install CD I would advise that you go to the printer site and download the newest driver and software package.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:05 pm 
welcoming committee

The info you sent about wifi sounds easy, I hope the password I use for NetGear is still the latest password, that is usually my problem. Maybe if it doesn't work, I could still go to the NetGear website and change or initiate a new password, not sure. In my move from the old apartment, paperwork is in 3 different places but I'm fairly certain of the password.

I'll keep these directions in mind for when I get to the wifi and printer installs. It would be easier if conversations for the new laptop were on a new post... Do you think it would be a good idea to move the posts from this new PC to start a new conversation? Is there something I could do?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows