Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:12 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I could move the new stuff to a new thread but don't think it is needed as everything follows a process as to what has been done.

Once the new system is powered and bootable a new thread would then be needed as to any issues that come up. For now let's just leave the thread as is. :)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Ok Jay! Good News!!! I stopped at the PC shop in town and the guy said every Asus laptop he's gotten or seen only sends to use on the laptop the 1 piece they sent me which is the plugin for the laptop and the black 3" box attached to the plugin. I went by the User Guide which showed 2 pieces but he said the other piece that is shown on the pic attached is only used in countries where it is needed. I hope you can read what the pic shows. The piece I thought was missing is near the C in the pic. I did pick up a good quality surge protector that I needed anyway from the shop so this can be used for my piece of mind since the plugin Asus sent only has 2 flat prongs but what they sent IS approved in the US. the laptop is currently charging and takes about 3 hrs. See pic.....katy

Attachments:
asus user guide.jpg
asus user guide.jpg [ 115.12 KiB | Viewed 5240 times ]

- Barbara Corcoran
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:43 pm 

I can sort of read the picture but not well. Still can read well enough to get the idea. I can see what was said by the tech at your local shop. For example Europe uses a different power system than the U.S.. The part that you thought was missing is probably an adapter to cover the different power source. I now assume that you can plug a cord into your wall outlet that goes to the power adapter and also connect a cord that goes from the power brick to the laptop.

I DID sort of wonder as my Asus laptop has two parts for the AC adapter; power cord from the wall to the power brick and the combination power brick and cord to plug into the laptop. I just hesitated to state that as my Asus is over 7 years old and things could have changed. In my case it is still two parts where you seem to have one but some systems come with a separate power cord from the wall to the power brick and, on some, it is all one unit.

If you are anxious to get going you don't have to wait for the battery to charge before using the system. The recommendation to wait until the battery is charged fully is only in relation to running the system on battery only. As long as it is connected to the AC adapter you may feel free to get started as to setting it up. LOL! Of course, before you see this, the battery may already be fully charged. ;)

Check Programs and features in your Control Panel and it is possible that Norton or another trial anti virus package installed. I suggest removing such a trial version and falling back to Windows Defender. I would then install Malwarebytes Premium as a secondary security package. Malwarebytes Premium is not free but not expensive either. It is well worth the protection offered and cheaper than paying for Norton or MacAfee subscription.

Also, if you look at Programs and features you may see an auto updater. If so run it once then remove. Running it will bring all your drivers up to date rather than going to the driver download site I linked and downloading all the drivers. After running, and allowing to update the drivers, remove the thing as such tends to be a resource hog.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:17 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for all the info Jay! I waited until the 3 hr charge because I was not looking forward to going through the initial setup. I did get up until the login did not recognize my gmail addy and I was told by the setup its so much easier to set up an MS login so I had to close the lid and see if I can get any suggestions from CH. I need to set up this MS login if it still starts up there again, Are there Any tips on setting up a user name that I'm not always told has already been used plus I can remember, and a password I can get through all the requirements plus still remember? I will continue the setup tomorrow or sometime in the next couple days hopefully. Oh, one great thing tho, the NetGear was found and accepted! Yeeaah!!! :)

I'd just like this email/login part of the setup to be as low frustration as possible. Also, after I have set up the MS login, will I be given a website to go to in order to login? I've had so much trouble with MS email I gave up 10+ yrs ago. I hope I don't upset anyone about this.

I was so looking forward to thumb or fingerprint login in this new tech world. Thanks for listening. katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:49 pm 

As to Gmail I assume that you are talking about setting up your email. If not it is about setting up your Windows log on. If the second is the case just select to set up a local account instead of a Microsoft account. If it is the email aspect you will need to know your log on info for your Gmail account.

I don't believe that the system you bought has a finger print reader. If that is something that you wanted you should have said so...

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

A local account is a good choice, but you lose the benefits of synchronization between devices (when using the same Microsoft Account) and a few others. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows- ... t-benifits (note that this is an older article, so Xbox Music service no longer applies)

If you have a Gmail account, you can use that as the Microsoft Account, but you will need to designate it as one. The password is *not* the same as your Gmail password, though it can be.
https://www.techbout.com/create-microso ... -10-30152/

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:56 pm 

Nothing at all wrong with using a Microsoft account log in but the sync feature is one of the reasons I decided to go with local accounts. I've always run a local account on my laptop as it is sort of an isolated system that is not even included in my network. What bugged me with the other two is that if I changed a desktop background on one all of a sudden it was on both. This would kill my animated backgrounds on my main system. Never really looked but am pretty sure that there are settings to exclude such elements from the sync but figured it was just easier to go to local accounts.

Katy, if you use a Microsoft log on it isn't like you have to enter the email. Your system user name could be just Katy if you want just as my user name is Jay on all three of my systems. You can also make the system password anything that you want as Steve stated. Really all a Microsoft log on does is to allow different systems using the same account to sync in some aspects as Stave also pointed out. Just because I chose to use local accounts instead of Microsoft does not in any way mean there is anything wrong with using a Microsoft account log on. My choice to go with local accounts was just a personal preference on my part.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Agree with all of Jay's observations -- local account or Microsoft Account for log on are both fine and personal preferences.
Yes, there are settings to decide what will sync between devices. It isn't very granular, but you can exclude to sync the theme, which would be colors, sounds, wallpaper, pointers.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+do+i+ ... orm=S00028

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:40 pm 

Thanks for the confirmation Steve. :)

Katy, just dive in and do. Setting up a new Windows 10 system just seems intimidating but really goes pretty smooth. The only really tedious part is having to install all your software and updating your device drivers.

Oh, going back to you wishing for a finger print reader... Things may well have changed but the last I read they weren't really all that reliable.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:36 am 

katy98 wrote:
Ok Jay! Good News!!! I stopped at the PC shop in town and the guy said every Asus laptop he's gotten or seen only sends to use on the laptop the 1 piece they sent me which is the plugin for the laptop and the black 3" box attached to the plugin. I went by the User Guide which showed 2 pieces but he said the other piece that is shown on the pic attached is only used in countries where it is needed. I hope you can read what the pic shows. The piece I thought was missing is near the C in the pic. I did pick up a good quality surge protector that I needed anyway from the shop so this can be used for my piece of mind since the plugin Asus sent only has 2 flat prongs but what they sent IS approved in the US. the laptop is currently charging and takes about 3 hrs. See pic.....katy

My Asus K55A came with 2 parts Katy, the power adapter with a cable that plugs into the laptop and then a cable that goes into the wall socket and plug the other end that goes into the power adapter (brick).

Of course over here we have a different power supply voltage and our wall plugs are normally 3 pin, 1 for the earth wire, 1 for live wire and 1 for the neutral wire.

The good thing about that is that the power cord from the wall socket has the same connection at the other end as our kettles so if you lose the laptop one and you have a spare kettle power cord you can use that.

My Asus is a few years old, it came with Windows 8 installed and I upgraded that to 10, in fact I've just plugged it in to install any updates it needs, I don't know if it is ready for the 1903 upgrade yet, it's at 1809 at the moment.

Good luck with yours, Asus are nice laptops.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Just a short update.... so far I was able to get in without answering the end of the setup but I am using gmail as my mail. for logon, they just let me use katy and so far I didn't add a password. I removed the McAfee and Defender or the Security Suite I had is taking over. Not much for programs to reinstall until I buy & download the MS Office. The online gmail layout is sure annoying but its just like it is on an ipad, I'll get used to it. This new laptop is nice and light! Can't think of anything else right now, got to go to a graduation party, will do more the coming week. Still need to load Favorites, Office and Documents. Not sure what I'm going to do about password saver program, all the work is done setting it up on other machine. Will see. Thanks for all for your support, I'll need much help with Office :(. Take care, talk soon...katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:30 pm 

If you don't like the Gmail web layout you can always use Outlook when you get Office.

Glad that you are getting along. :)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:20 am 

Just a quick reply, my Asus is now at version 1903, after it got all its updates it gave me the upgrade and I went ahead and downloaded and installed it. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:20 pm 
welcoming committee

I have a solution to password saving, buying and installing Office lol. That will be my next challenge but while its not as condensed as the old password saver, I really only use 5-6 logins on a daily basis. btw, I like the idea of removing Quick Reply! And thanks Joan for the word about the latest update, it was big but now I'm uptodate with you 1903 :).

Just 1 or 2 questions, along with the laptop came a dvd entitled The Search of Incredible by Asus and here's a snip of the contents attached (is it possible to paste a snip pic from snipping tool?). I wonder, would anyone know if this is a restore dvd? I can't send a view of all the contents but maybe someone still may know. The size of the dvd is 1.69gb.

Last question there is a rather large search box (white) on the desktop, is there a way to minimize the size of this? I saw mention of this on the writeup I think it was Barry who sent showing the new Win10 differences, he had removed this completely if I remember right but minimize would work for me. Small stuff but more will come when Office is installed soon. Thanks so much all!! katy

Attachments:
dvd in Asus box.jpg
dvd in Asus box.jpg [ 20.57 KiB | Viewed 5156 times ]

- Barbara Corcoran
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:36 pm 

On the large search box right click on an empty area of the Taskbar and hover over Search and select Hidden.

Here is a little info on 'The Search of Incredible by Asus'
https://talent.asus.com/GTP/about.html
Still your attached image does sort of look like it could be a restore disk. I'd launch the 'autorun' and see what it says...

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:23 pm 
welcoming committee

Last question for tonite, I show 2 windows updates currently under View Installed Updates, before this there were 5 then I downloaded the latest Joan mentioned, now there are 2? Do all previous windows updates disappear when the later ones are added? I am sure I had to download and install a LOT of updates, more than 2. I'm just seeing more things that don't look like the old info I used to be able to see/find.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Where are you looking at View Installed Updates? In Windows 10, if you go to Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, you should see "View Update History" where your updates will be listed.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:07 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Where are you looking at View Installed Updates? In Windows 10, if you go to Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, you should see "View Update History" where your updates will be listed.

Thanks Stephen, I had gone to search box and typed in Windows Update then chose View Update HIstory. The place you told me to go ended up at the same place I had been. It too showed 4 updates so I guess 4 is all the updates I had gotten since it included the last one Joan mentioned also. It was so strange but as long as I'm uptodate I'm fine.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Would anyone know which version of Office 365 I would need to purchase to get SharePoint Designer 2013. Here it is mentioned... can someone tell me how I can take a snipping tool pic and paste in this forum? Thanks katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:30 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
On the large search box right click on an empty area of the Taskbar and hover over Search and select Hidden.

Here is a little info on 'The Search of Incredible by Asus'
https://talent.asus.com/GTP/about.html
Still your attached image does sort of look like it could be a restore disk. I'd launch the 'autorun' and see what it says...
I double clicked Autorun thinking it would launch but all I received was this:
[autorun]
open = AsInsWiz.exe
icon = AsInsWiz.ico
In the LIB folder there was an AsInsWiz Monitor that was classified Application, I did a right click on it there was an option to Run as Administrator so when I clicked that there was a User Account Control popped up yes or no to continue. Does this help to identify?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:09 pm 

You would actually have to run AsInsWiz.exe to see what it says. Doing a search the full name is Asus Install Wizard which indicates that it really should not be needed but I don't seem to be finding any solid description. You might try emailing Asus support and asking for a detailed description.

Best that I have been able to find is that it is basically the same as Windows Installer except that it may also monitor system processes. Just from that I get the impression that about it does is take up some system resources. If I found it in Programs and Features I'd probably lean toward removing.

As to a recovery disk look at the following. You should definitely create one. You can do a recovery through Windows if needed but what if Windows won't boot?
https://www.bing.com/search?q=create%20 ... &mkt=en-US

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 pm 
welcoming committee

katy98 wrote:
Would anyone know which version of Office 365 I would need to purchase to get SharePoint Designer 2013. Here it is mentioned... can someone tell me how I can take a snipping tool pic and paste in this forum? Thanks katy

On this site
https://products.office.com/en-US/compa ... aprimaryr1
Office 365 Home shows all the apps I want/need Word, Outlook, Excel but no mention of
Share Point Design 2013. Does anyone know if this Share Point is included under the name of one of the other apps shown on this web site?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:38 pm 
welcoming committee

katy98 wrote:

The info I wanted to send you was from a Google Search: https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... eguSu2ugc0

The section I was referring to was under "People Also Ask" and it's the 2nd How do I get SharePoint Designer?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:47 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You would actually have to run AsInsWiz.exe to see what it says. Doing a search the full name is Asus Install Wizard which indicates that it really should not be needed but I don't seem to be finding any solid description. You might try emailing Asus support and asking for a detailed description.

Best that I have been able to find is that it is basically the same as Windows Installer except that it may also monitor system processes. Just from that I get the impression that about it does is take up some system resources. If I found it in Programs and Features I'd probably lean toward removing.

As to a recovery disk look at the following. You should definitely create one. You can do a recovery through Windows if needed but what if Windows won't boot?
https://www.bing.com/search?q=create%20 ... &mkt=en-US

So besides creating the Recovery disk in Windows, what other way is there? I've never used any other. Also, is it better to wait until I have Office installed and thus included in the recovery disk?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:04 pm 

Sharepoint Designer 2013 is a free offering from Microsoft. Download it here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=35491
Keep in mind that it has been discontinued and 2013 is the last version. Sharepoint Designer is no longer included in Office packages. Keep in mind that a site done with Sharepoint Designer needs to be hosted on a Sharepoint server if I'm not mistaken. This restricts the options as to hosting a site.

As to the Snipping Tool click on Start and type in snipping tool and hit enter. Once launched just select 'New' and define what the area you want to capture.

To post an image in a thread you need to use the full post editor, click on 'Post Reply' under the Reply Options to the left of the text box at the bottom of a thread. Scroll down a little and you will see the option to add an attachment. Browse to where you saved your image then click 'Add the file'. Once the image has been uploaded there will be an option to place in-line. Just place the cursor where you want and select to 'Place in-line'.

Windows 10 recovery/reset does not allow for keeping apps that you have installed, only your data so you would need to re-install any added apps such as Office.. It can be launched either through Windows Settings/Recovery or booting a recovery disk. This is a total reset and returns the system to a raw install of Windows. If you want to restore the system with all the installed apps intact you would need an external drive to use to make system images. A system image is a 'snapshot' of your system. I use Acronis True Image but there are good free options available. See an in depth article on backups here:
https://computerhaven.com/backups.html

In case you are not aware the base site for these forums, https://computerhaven.com/, has several articles on computer usage and, also, free downloads. It can also be reached through the 'Articles & downloads' link in the top navigation bar of these forums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows