Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: default programs
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Using windows 7 pro. I am having trouble with setting the default for Paint Shop Pro 7. In the control panel, I go to "default programs" >set your default programs but Paint Shop Pro 7 is not listed there. Then I drop down to the next option which is to set a file type and I am able to select .jpe, .jpg, and .jpeg which are the main image file extensions that I use. This changes the defaults for those extensions from Corel Paint Shop x8 to Paint Shop Pro 7, however, when I try to open an image using PSP-7, it opens with Corel. Then going back to the control panel again, PSP 7 is gone and Corel is back??

Is there some reason that PSP-7 is not listed as one of the programs for opening image files?

Post subject: Re: default programs
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:18 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I suppose it is possible that version 8X is over-riding version 7 as they are the same program just different versions, both are Corel.

Try right clicking on an image file and selecting open with. If version 7 is not listed navigate to its location on your hard drive and select. Make sure that the check box to always use is checked.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:05 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I suppose it is possible that version 8X is over-riding version 7 as they are the same program just different versions, both are Corel.

Try right clicking on an image file and selecting open with. If version 7 is not listed navigate to its location on your hard drive and select. Make sure that the check box to always use is checked.

Hi Jay.......the version of PSP7 that I have is prior to Corel buying them out so it is not Corel. I can open them by right clicking on the image and selecting PSP7 but I have always just double clicked the images and they would open in PSP7 and it no longer does that, it opens Corel which I do not want as my default.

It lists three different image programs that could be set as defaults, Corel, Paint, and Photo Viewer so I am still left wondering why PSP-7 is not on that list. Is there any way to add a program to that list?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:15 am 

When you right click on an image file hover over open with and select 'Select another app' or wording to that effect. Make sure that the box to always use is checked. Click on 'more apps' and navigate to where PSP 7 is located and select the launcher. PSP 7 should now be in the list and you can select to always use.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:24 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
When you right click on an image file hover over open with and select 'Select another app' or wording to that effect. Make sure that the box to always use is checked. Click on 'more apps' and navigate to where PSP 7 is located and select the launcher. PSP 7 should now be in the list and you can select to always use.

Got it Jay. Doing that put .jpg's on the list to always open with PSP-7. I went to the control panel and Corel was now replaced with PSP-7. Thanks so much for your help.

While I'm here, do you know if that free windows 10 thing has expired? This computer has 128 important updates waiting to be installed and I don't want to do it if I will be pestered with Windows 10 again.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:16 pm 

Officially it has expired and GWX is no longer active. Still, to be safe, I would run Never10 on the system to disable an OS upgrade.
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

I wish people had not started turning off Updates over the Win 10 upgrade deal.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:21 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

WHY???!!!

I have always believed in playing it safe. Why do MS and Apple keep trying to thrust new OS down our throats? Security reasons, OK, but LET US DECIDE when to install them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:07 pm 
Fearless Leader

Do you really need to ask that Acadia, when every month there are a dozen or more critical security holes being patched? There are other ways to avoid the Windows 10 upgrade, and it shouldn't even be an issue at this point; but turning off all Windows updates is not the way to do it.

As for letting the general public decide when to install updates - honestly, they haven't a clue when they should or shouldn't, and were it not done automatically, it would not get done at all. The days of the power user are almost over, you know. It's not just Microsoft deciding to give us less control; it's the users' not having any interest in knowing what they are doing when it comes to computers. They wanted a toaster, they are getting what they asked for.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:15 pm 

I didn't mean going ahead and allowing Windows to upgrade itself to a new OS, I meant totally turning off Updates. Even before, I think it was Chas, presented Never10 it was still easy enough to just set Updates to notify and making sure that GWX had not re-appeared after being hidden.

Still, even the above is hard to apply to today's average user. Acadia, trust me, you claim that you don't really know that much except for your security stuff yet I'd bet dollars to donuts that you are in the top ten percent. A guy in my apartments just gave away a laptop with an I3, 500 GB drive, 6 GB memory, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and a touch screen because it had Windows 8.1 and refused to activate. It helps if you are on-line during activation which he was not. He saw the option to activate by phone but thought that calling MS would be too expensive. This is today's user.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:30 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Even before, I think it was Chas, presented Never10 it was...

Nope, wasn't him ;)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:50 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Officially it has expired and GWX is no longer active. Still, to be safe, I would run Never10 on the system to disable an OS upgrade.
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Hi Jay........I didn't mean to start a war here but now I think I have to draw my sword and begin chopping!!! I downloaded the updates and now I have a problem, actually two problems. The major thing that went wrong is that something seems to be blocking a chat program that I use. I'm fairly certain of this because I downloaded a trial version of the chat program onto XP and it works ok there. So of the 128 updates, where should I look to start removing the culprit? The other thing that developed after installing the updates is that I get a notice every time I close a net link. It says that windows has stopped working. That is actually more of a nuisance thing.

So, any ideas on what I should be looking for?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Allyson wrote:
...the version of PSP7 that I have is prior to Corel buying them out so it is not Corel.

That'll be the "Jasc" version which makes it old, very old, likely circa 2001.

cf: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/paint-shop-pro/

I used to love PSP7 but when I moved to Win7 I had to give up on it because I simply couldn't find a way to make it stable (including the issues Allyson highlights above about .Net etc.).

The entire Jasc website has been consumed by Corel and not a lot remains of it, if anything :(

Ymmv and I wish you luck, but you might be better off retiring PSP7 to history.

Amazingly, simply uninstalling PSP7 resolved all the issues I was having with other programmes and .Net.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:18 pm 

Note Doddie's suggestion of getting rid of PSP7.

I would probably not mess with 128 updates trying to figure out which to remove. I'd probably use System Restore to drop them all then just install a few at a time looking for the issue to appear.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:50 pm 
Fearless Leader

That's a painful option, I know, Allyson. PSP7 was the last, best version of the program. I went from there to the photo app that came with Microsoft Essentials 2012. I don't have it installed now on Windows 10 because I did a clean install and never got around to it. I forget the exact title. I should install it, because it does some things really well that the new Photos app in Windows 10 doesn't. Of course you are running 7, yes? You should have no issues with Windows Essentials then.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:17 pm 
welcoming committee

I have always used Paint.Net. Not as robust as some of the others out there, but for free it works for me.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:52 pm 

I totally agree that Paint.Net is an excellent utility. The problem is that Allyson wants to run PSP7. The earliest version I've personally used is PSP10.

There are really two questions...

1) Due to needed security updates has PSP7 become unviable? This is possible but I doubt that this is the issue. While not 100% the usual case is that software will survive security updates. Now this could be a totally different possibility if net framework is involved.

2) Is PSP7 causing the other issues? I suppose it is possible but I would look first to an issue with an update. However, if the psp7 install media is still viable and can be easily re-installed, I would un-install and re-boot to see if the other issues still are there. This is just a quick and easy way to rule out PSP7 causing issues.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:28 am 

MacDuffie wrote:
That's a painful option, I know, Allyson. PSP7 was the last, best version of the program. I went from there to the photo app that came with Microsoft Essentials 2012. I don't have it installed now on Windows 10 because I did a clean install and never got around to it. I forget the exact title. I should install it, because it does some things really well that the new Photos app in Windows 10 doesn't. Of course you are running 7, yes? You should have no issues with Windows Essentials then.

Was it Windows Photo Gallery 2012 Patty ? I have a few of the Essential apps installed, I use the email from it and have the Messenger part and Photo Gallery, that's on this Windows 10 Notebook.
I had them on it when it ran 8.1 and after upgrading to 10 found they'd carried over.
I also have a full retail box set of PSP 7 Anniversary Edition, think it was the 10 year birthday edition, but I've never tried it on here and obviously didn't have it 8.1 or it would have been transferred over. I know I have it on my Windows 7 desktop.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:58 pm 
Fearless Leader

Hi Joan. Yes, that's what it is, Photo Gallery. While I'm picking your brain, do you (or anyone else) remember the name of the photo program that was part of Office in 2000 and 2001? (I think those were the years.) That was the most awesome program! And yes, I suppose Microsoft carried much of it over to its succeeding photo programs - but that one was a groundbreaker in its day.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:38 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Do you really need to ask that Acadia ...

I apologize, I could have worded that better. For most people, do NOT turn off MS Automatic Updates. I have turned it off but I am in the minority, constantly, manually checking for updates. But most folks should allow MS updates automatically. If you unexpectedly end up with Win10, which you may even actually want ...
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Patty, it was PhotoDraw. I still have an Office 2000 CD with it.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:26 pm 
Fearless Leader

Thanks, David. There's a good chance I have one around on a TechNet or MSDN disk also. I think it might complicate things to try to install it though, since it is a part of Office. Fabulous program.

Acadia - not a problem. And there is the Never 20 utility for those who don't want 10, though it shouldn't be an issue now that the free upgrade offer is done with.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:41 pm 
welcoming committee

PhotoDraw was a totally separate install from Office 2000. Yes its an Office product, but it was on its own installation CD (2 of them).

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:48 pm 
Fearless Leader

Yes, but wouldn't it have registry entries for Office 2000? I've run into issues at various times having multiple versions of Office installed.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:02 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
Yes, but wouldn't it have registry entries for Office 2000? I've run into issues at various times having multiple versions of Office installed.

You back up your registry and try the install. If there are any issues you restore the registry backup and delete the install directory. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:10 pm 
Fearless Leader

The problem is when the issues don't surface right away. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows