Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Never Ever
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:15 am 
welcoming committee

I'm on my Windows 7 Pro Computer and put it in "Never Ever" download updates mode a while back now. And what about this:

http://kotaku.com/woman-sues-microsoft- ... 1782687511

I wonder if others will follow her and sue MS.

Do you think most of this is true?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2957365/ ... costs.html

Post subject: Re: Never Ever
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:53 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As to the first part I have never seen how, on either of my systems, that the upgrade could happen without being authorized. Yes I have heard and read that it can but don't understand how. I think that in these cases it was authorized but the user just did not now that they did so. In any case the user could have rolled back to the previous OS easily. I DO believe that MS paid the $10,000.00 just to avoid litigation costs which would have been much higher even though MS would probably have won. Then there was the lady that sued McDonalds because her coffee was too hot.............

As to if the Windows 10 upgrade is free, yes it is. Yes there are features such as Solitaire mentioned in the article that prompts you to pay to get rid of adds but that is totally up to you. Of course such things give MS more potential for income but it is still up to you as to whether you buy or do not.

Some will say that this is putting up unwanted ads and I suppose that it is. Still the user agreed to these ads when they accepted the license agreement. I just do not really see an issue. YES, as mentioned in the article, Solitaire has ads! OMG the world is going to end! :mrgreen: However the ads consist of an offer to upgrade to the premium version when launched and an unobtrusive ad at the bottom of the page. What is the big deal?

Hmmm, now that I think a bit more about the ad aspect have you ever been to EBay, Amazon or pretty much any other production web site? On such sites I tend to see many more ads than I'll ever see within Windows yet I don't hear the same complaints about these sites, why not? You will never see an ad in Windows 10 that is not contained within a free app that you chose to install. Yet, on all these web sites, you see so many ads that you cannot hardly even find the link to what you actually want. You have not even gotten anything yet for free but are still overwhelmed with ads.

Lordy!! I could go on forever on this but will force myself to stop.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:50 am 

Well said Jay, ads are everywhere it's part of modern life you either learn to live with them or pay to get rid of them. I think things would be a lot worse if we didn't have them, it generates income for some of the sites we're used to without it they wouldn't be able to run.

I know some forums get their income from visitors, of course members don't see them and most are free to join.

I like the new feature in Edge where you can go into reading mode which gets rid of a lot of rubbish.

I think nowadays some people just sue for the sake of it just to make money, it's ridiculous.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:35 am 
Fearless Leader

jaylach wrote:
As to the first part I have never seen how, on either of my systems, that the upgrade could happen without being authorized. Yes I have heard and read that it can but don't understand how. I think that in these cases it was authorized but the user just did not now that they did so. In any case the user could have rolled back to the previous OS easily.

I have a slight disagreement here, Jay. How is authorizing without knowing they did so any different from an upgrade without authorization? Authorizing something means you acquiesced knowingly to it. If this occurs without your knowing it, you have not authorized it.

As far as the Solitaire issue goes, their new version of Solitaire is awful and I wouldn't even use the free version. ;) That said, you don't have to install it - go look for another one at the store. I simply won't install any game that doesn't allow me to pay to remove the ads. It's usually a few bucks and very worth it to me.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:18 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
jaylach wrote:
As to the first part I have never seen how, on either of my systems, that the upgrade could happen without being authorized. Yes I have heard and read that it can but don't understand how. I think that in these cases it was authorized but the user just did not now that they did so. In any case the user could have rolled back to the previous OS easily.

I have a slight disagreement here, Jay. How is authorizing without knowing they did so any different from an upgrade without authorization? Authorizing something means you acquiesced knowingly to it. If this occurs without your knowing it, you have not authorized it.

My feelings exactly Patty. I don't want Windows 10 on this computer and I would not knowingly click on anything that would cause that to happen. As far as I am concerned, MS put the bait out there in order to reel in as many Windows 10 customers as possible.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows