Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:22 am 

Hello,

I have tried to boot up my laptop several times but got Windows 7 won't boot past "Starting Windows" screen. Even try get into SafeMode or Multiboot and nothing goes beyond just keep getting Windows 7 won't boot past "Starting Windows" screen on my laptop. How do I get this fixed before go into my laptop again to boot up.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have a retail (or OEM) Windows Install disk or a system recovery disk? You may need it, or you may not, but try Startup Repair:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7728/tro ... s-7-vista/

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:22 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If Steve's advice does not work disconnect all power including the battery and hit the power button a few times. Put back the battery and AC adaptor if used and try to boot.

If it still fails repeat Steve's advice.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:04 pm 

Want to say thank you both of you to Steve and Jay for the messages that you posted here and try to help me to solve the problem. But unfortunately nothing work properly and the only way I think that I have to take my laptop to computer repair shop to see if they can fix this problem. I did try to hit the power button for a good 5 minutes to see if that solved but it's not. Also there is no operating system of Windows in my laptop.

John

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:04 pm 

Add to my above message and I remember that I saw before the problem occurred. When I checked in BIOS and see the list and here is below:

ATA HDD
CDRW
Windows Boot Manager
Realtek Network

I was told that the last two shouldn't be in BIOS setup. Is that correct??

Also I almost got into my laptop after boot-loop restart but saw briefly with AMD Fusion Driver on top left corner of my laptop while trying to boot up.

Thank you again,

John

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:47 pm 

Try changing the boot order as follows:
Windows Boot Manager
CDRW
ATA HDD
You can leave or get rid of Realtek Network.

Also make sure that the hard drive (ATA HDD) is the proper one if you have more than one drive.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:06 pm 

Ok thanks for your information but how can I get into " Setup " on F2 key as I tried it and no way to get into BIOS with boot loop restarts.

How about if I take the old hard drive out and put solid state drive in the laptop and will the setup work or still the same with boot loop restarts because of the problem in BIOS?

John

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:49 pm 

Wait a minute... one of m few remaining brain cells may have just activated... ;)

Didn't you have another recent thread where you had tried to re-install Windows and it failed? We need an answer to this before we can advise anything.

Also, is the SSD a fully working Windows install done on this same system?

I also do not follow as to your not being able to get to the BIOS as this would be done before Windows starts to load causing the re-start loop.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:38 am 

OK let me start all over again explain what is going on with my laptop.

Last Monday I decided to go back to Windows 7 from Windows 10 because the operating system of Windows 10 Home Premium 64X is very slow to boot up. I went ahead to format the hard drive but for some reasons it won't let me format the hard drive. So I download the application from online on the Internet and it's DBAN which takes a while to wipe the hard drive. When it's done and I go ahead to install the operating system of Windows 7 Ultimate not Home Premium 64X on my laptop. Before installing I went into setup to change the order to put the CDRW on top and next in second with ATA Hard Drive. I don't know if I should change the order in Setup or not necessary. Everything went well to install the operating system of Windows 7 Ultimate. When that's done for some reason it won't restart the laptop after install. So I went back to setup again and changed the order again to have ATA Hard Drive on top and next with CDRW and was surprised to see two extra lines in setup with Windows Boot Manager and Realtek Network Manager too. When I see the four names on the Setup and Windows Boot Manager was on the top of the list so I moved this line down to third and now with ATA Hard Drive first and CDRW second then Windows Boot Manger third and at last with Realtek Network Manager. It did not go very well with the first installation so I decided to run again with DBAN again to wipe the hard drive again and reinstall the same operating system of Windows 7 Ultimate but before installing this. I decided to check in setup to change again with the names in order and noticed that Windows Boot Manger with the words in brackets ( reserved in 465 MB ). I decided to look up in Google and found with Microsoft webpage and they suggested that I download GParted and run them but it didn't go very well and that's where the problem is after went into setup and decided to get out in restart the laptop. I got boot loop restart with Manufacturer Splash Screen and all black on the screen too. There is no operating system in the laptop as I was trying to install the operating system of Windows 7 Ultimate again but it won't let me to reinstall. Since that time all along with the same boot loop automatic restart and I did try to run GParted or Windows 7 System Repair Disk or Windows 7 Ultimate. You can hear the loud noise when the CD drive is running the application but nothing show on the screen as the same time the CD drive stopped. My question is that how do I get that fixed to stop boot loop automatic restart with Manufacturer Splash Screen on my laptop.

Hope this time my story got all straight and you will understand what I am talking about this problem of my laptop.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:26 am 

I would think that, if you are hearing a loud noise from the drive, it would indicate that there is a problem with the drive.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:33 am 
Site Admin

I think, after reading your description of the order of events, that your partition table on the hard drive is messed up.
Note that the small partition may have been created for the Windows 7 install, by the way.
What kind of Windows install disc are you using?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:14 am 

Windows 7 Ultimate

-- John

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:00 am 

Jay -- Sorry that I missed your message about my hard drive. As far as I know the hard drive is quiet running in the laptop. Do you think if I took out the hard drive and put in solid state drive in and will that work or still the same with boot loop automatic restarts.

John

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:17 am 

Add to this my message above and I should say the Title with " Stuck on Splash Screen during Boot process " not " Windows 7 won't boot past "Starting Windows" Screen ".

Thank you again,

John

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:37 pm 

imcanadian wrote:
Jay -- Sorry that I missed your message about my hard drive. As far as I know the hard drive is quiet running in the laptop. Do you think if I took out the hard drive and put in solid state drive in and will that work or still the same with boot loop automatic restarts.
John

I was not talking about your hard drive. I was talking about the loud noise from your CD/DVD drive per your quote... You should not be hearing noises from your optical drive other than a humming or whirling sound. The fact that you do would seem, to me, to indicate a problem with the optical drive.
imcanadian wrote:
You can hear the loud noise when the CD drive is running ....

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:53 pm 

Yes there is a loud noise when I put DVD disk in the CD/DVD drive only for a short time then quiet after that.

The other thing is that I did tried to take out the hard drive out and put the SSD in the laptop and still the same with no result also took the latpop memory rams out and switch around and put it back in-- still show nothing. I wonder if I can take one laptop memory ram out and leave one in or will not work only with 2GB laptop memory ram.

Thank you again,

John

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:23 pm 
welcoming committee

Just throwing this out there because I'm not familiar with Win 7 Ultimate, but with Win 7 Professional there is an option during install to select or deselect 'Check for Updates' as part of the installation process that may be causing the install to appear as if its hung at "Starting Windows".

I don't remember seeing this option when I ran the Home edition but when I recently bought and installed a copy of the 64bit Professional version it was certainly there and took what seemed for ever to install, I can't explicitly say it was the 'checking for updates' that caused the delay but if experience of Patch Tuesday updates is anything to go by I was probably lucky it didn't take much longer given how badly the MS update servers crawl these days, especially during on or around patch Tuesday.

If memory serves me correct the screen did occasionally say it was checking for/or installing updates but it could've been easily overlooked especially if impatience was involved or eagle eyes weren't deployed.

If that option was available to you then consider deselecting it and trying again... if it works then the usual caveat of immediately heading to Windows Update applies as there were probably security updates you need asap that were skipped.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:04 pm 

@ Doddie: I could be wrong but I THINK that the update option only applies to updates concerned with the install. Any time that I've installed I've selected to allow updates but still had all the regular ones to do.

@ Imcanadian: Yes you could try one memory stick at a time. Windows 7 will run without issue on 2GB but I doubt the memory is the issue.

I think that the issue MAY actually be that you did an install of Windows 7 from scratch instead of using the built in Windows 10 option to roll back to the previous OS. This is just a guess but it MAY be that something is left behind from Windows 10 that is interfering with the boot to Windows 7. The only problem with this thought is that you have the same issue with the SSD. If the SSD used to work in the laptop, and nothing has been changed, it sort of destroys this thought.

One last thought for now would be to reset the BIOS to Failsafe settings.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:24 am 
Fearless Leader

If you do try Fail Safe BIOS settings, make sure you go through the BIOS screen by screen and write down the current settings. And, if you have a utility that lets you make a backup of current BIOS settings do that too. I would do both things.

Really though, I don't like this idea. It is likely to create trouble and not really fix any. I would take it to a shop before I would do this. (Change to failsafe BIOS settings.)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:09 pm 

I don't think that I can do with Change to failsafe BIOS settings after reading different links on Google. Will take to the shop and have them to reset the BIOS for me.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:18 pm 

When you take it to the shop do not request that they reset the BIOS. Just explain the issue and let them fix it. A shop is the safest and, possibly, quickest way to get it fixed.

If you have not yet taken it to the shop I would still like to see you do one thing in the BIOS that should be pretty easy... If I remember right you tried to clarify something by saying that the system did not actually get to the Windows Start Screen but was hung on the logo for the vendor. If this is correct I suggest that you disable this logo if you have the option. The first place that I'd look for the option would be under the Boot section of the BIOS.

The reason that I suggest getting rid of the logo is that it hides a lot of information that is displayed on the screen it covers. That hidden screen may be telling you what is wrong. If you are up to doing this fine but if not I'd ask the shop to do it for you. Personally I cannot stand these logo or splash screens.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:03 am 

The line on top left corner with black laptop screen mentioned " AMD Fusion Generic driver something else beside that I missed the line " All I remember with the first four words on the screen when I saw. I am trying get into BIOS as you suggested but I can't. So later this morning I will take my laptop to the shop and see what they can do to fix this. I will not mention to them about BIOS reset. All I will do is to plug in and boot up and the tech support guy can see for themselves to see what is the problem.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:45 am 

OK I just got back from the computer repair shop and they said that the problem is with the motherboard. I told them not to bother to replace the motherboard because of a little old laptop. Anyway want to say thank you for your best effort to help me here and I appreciated with your help.

John

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:46 pm 

Sigh... Are you absolutely sure that you can trust the repair shop? You have to keep in mind that too many repair shops say that you have to do much more than needed to fix things. They do this to make more money.

Of course it is possible that something failed on the mother board while you were installing Windows but the chances of such a coincidence is VERY slim. Unless the system is more than 3-4 years old I'd look for a second opinion. That is just me... I tend to NOT trust repair shops.........

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:36 pm 

Sad news with my laptop and I decided to take my laptop to the computer repair store to have them diagnose the problem. Turned out the problem is LCD to Motherboard cable which is damaged. He did not charge me for this because he said that if he did not fix then no charge for this. Anyway I don't know if it is worth to get that fixed or too expensive to fix. I had no idea how much is the cable cost and where to get the cable. B the way my laptop is Lenovo B575 Model #1450.

John

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows