Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Stereo Mix in Windows 11
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:46 pm 
welcoming committee

I have spent the entire afternoon trying to fix the Stereo Mix Input option and have come up empty. I have uninstalled my Realtek drivers and did a fresh install for them I have removed my audio editing software (AVS4YOU) and installed the latest versions. The choice for Realtek Stereo Mix shows in the Sound Window. I can select it, yet nothing works when I want to record anything. Did Microsoft remove this functionality in Windows 11? Thanks for your help.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:03 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Does everything work as far as playback?

Did you make sure to set your device for both output AND input?

Personally I find such things easier to check with the 'classic Control Panel' than through Settings. In this case you would click Start and type 'control panel' without the quotes then go to the Sound Applet.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:26 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Does everything work as far as playback? Yes! My Bose computer speakers plug into a USB port. I'm not sure what driver they use. I play movies to my larger TV using AMD audio drivers. I don't use the Realtek drivers much at all.

Did you make sure to set your device for both output AND input? ??? My device is the computer. If I record some YouTube for example, I don't record any audio even though it simultaneously plays through the speakers.

Personally I find such things easier to check with the 'classic Control Panel' than through Settings. In this case you would click Start and type 'control panel' without the quotes then go to the Sound Applet. Yeah been there done that!

This is my Bose Companion 3 system I'm going to get back at it tomorrow. I need a rest.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:03 pm 

Ritzter13 wrote:
Did you make sure to set your device for both output AND input? ??? My device is the computer. If I record some YouTube for example, I don't record any audio even though it simultaneously plays through the speakers. This could be an indication that the wrong recording device is selected.

Personally I find such things easier to check with the 'classic Control Panel' than through Settings. In this case you would click Start and type 'control panel' without the quotes then go to the Sound Applet. Yeah been there done that! But did you go to the recording tab to be sure that your desired audio device is selected?

You have probably already seen this but something in the following link may help.
https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/articles/HC2529/productCodes/companion3_series2/article.html

While I have a Realtek audio chip on my system I never use. On one display I use HDMI audio through my video card. On the other I use digital optical going to the display and then channel through a Yamaha sound system.

Oh, as to Microsoft possibly removing such capability from Windows 11 anything is possible but I seriously doubt that is the case. but cannot say for fact. I only run Windows 11 in a virtual machine and on my Microsoft Surface 3. I haven't seen any audio issues but have not tried to record.

I just did a dangerous thing and had a thought... ;) It just MAY be possible that your recording software needs to have the desired audio input set to your desired audio device. DO you have a headset or, at least, a microphone? If so try recording some audio using the headset/microphone. If it works it would lend strength to the AVS4YOU needing a settings change to specify your desired audio recording device.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:27 am 
welcoming committee

Jay I spent a few hours mid day on Sunday double checking everything. I checked all the settings in Settings>Sound and the AVS4YOU Audio Editor preferences. Still no joy. It’s weird because Stereo Mix appears in the Recording tab of the Sound applet in the Control Panel. I can select it, choose it in the Audio Editor app but it won’t record anything. I’m truly stumped.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:41 pm 

Was your system fully OK to install Windows 11 or did you use registry hacks to allow? If you had to hack the registry that could be a factor.

Have you contacted the AVS4YOU support system?

Have you tried recording audio straight through a microphone? If it works it would at least show that Windows probably does not have an issue with your audio device recording.

I really don't know. :dunno: Mayhaps someone else will pop in with an idea. The problem with an issue like this is it is almost impossible to troubleshoot without the software and the same version of Windows installed.

Just for grins try downloading the free version, or trial version, of the following and see if you have the same issue. The free version only works for YouTube or at least did when I first started using.
https://www.any-video-converter.com/

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay I just made a 15 second recording using my Jeti microphone. Everything is good as it recorded and played back perfectly. I'm going to do more research. I will post my progress. Thanks.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

I have to assume that you've reviewed this article for your software -- https://www.avs4you.com/guides/How-to-record-music-with-AVS-Audio-Editor.aspx

Exactly what is the stereo mix option listed as in your software and in sound devices for output in the Windows Sound Control Panel applet? I recently needed to enable it on my Windows 10 PC to use with Audacity to capture some audio. I have no experience with the software you are using, but it appears to work similarly to Audacity for capturing the audio stream using the Stereo Mix "device"

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:54 pm 

Hey Steve, your comment gave me a thought. Sometimes a device can be weird. I think I'd go through the device list in the sound applet and try each as the default. Sometimes such a device will have multiple listings such as WDM, WDM3 and WDM4. In my situation I need to use WDM3.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:04 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I have to assume that you've reviewed this article for your software -- https://www.avs4you.com/guides/How-to-record-music-with-AVS-Audio-Editor.aspx

Exactly what is the stereo mix option listed as in your software and in sound devices for output in the Windows Sound Control Panel applet? I recently needed to enable it on my Windows 10 PC to use with Audacity to capture some audio. I have no experience with the software you are using, but it appears to work similarly to Audacity for capturing the audio stream using the Stereo Mix "device"

I have attached all the settings that I have changed to match what I need. Stereo Mix still doesn't record a anything.

Attachments:
AVS4YOU Settings.png
AVS4YOU Settings.png [ 161.5 KiB | Viewed 3596 times ]
Control Panel-Sound-Record.png
Control Panel-Sound-Record.png [ 25.6 KiB | Viewed 3597 times ]
System-Sound-Properties.png
System-Sound-Properties.png [ 56.48 KiB | Viewed 3597 times ]
Settings-System-Sound.png
Settings-System-Sound.png [ 38 KiB | Viewed 3597 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Last edited by Ritzter13 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:09 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hey Steve, your comment gave me a thought. Sometimes a device can be weird. I think I'd go through the device list in the sound applet and try each as the default. Sometimes such a device will have multiple listings such as WDM, WDM3 and WDM4. In my situation I need to use WDM3.

I'm not sure what you mean Jay.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:35 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Just for grins try downloading the free version, or trial version, of the following and see if you have the same issue. The free version only works for YouTube or at least did when I first started using.
https://www.any-video-converter.com/

I tried it and recorded a sample video from Spotify. Technically it wasn't really a video just music which is what I want from there. I loaded the saved file into AVS4YOU Audio Editor and it played perfectly. This may work. I'm going to write AVS4YOU to get their feedback.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

The only oddity I see in your screen captures is that the properties for Stereo Mix, although enabled, shows "Don't Allow" in the first item for allowing apps to use the device for audio. I would set that to Allow.
The only thing that differs in what I did when I set it up is that I set Stereo Mix as the default communications device. My headset mic is the default audio device on the recording tab. I figure I can change that back if I use my headset one day again and it doesn't work properly... The properties in Windows 10 is different than in Windows 11 -- I don't have that Allow/Don't Allow dialog option you show.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:38 pm 

Ritzter13 wrote:
jaylach wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean Jay.

I sent the above message before you did your screenshots. To be honest I'm a bit surprised that you only show 2 options for sound recordings as I have like a dozen. With the audio software I use I get different recording/playback options than I do straight through the Windows Control Panel/settings options.

You MAY want to look at the following package even though it isn't free. The whole package is like $50.00.
https://www.applian.com/
This package is pretty cool as it will detect any window that contains movement and allow recording whether video/audio or just either one. It works like a physical DVR but is strictly software.

Anyway, I missed that your Audio mix option was set to not allow. I agree with Steve in that you should set to allow. That would be my first step.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:50 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
The only oddity I see in your screen captures is that the properties for Stereo Mix, although enabled, shows "Don't Allow" in the first item for allowing apps to use the device for audio. I would set that to Allow.

Steve "Don't allow" is the Windows 11 dyslexic wording. When you see "Don't allow" it means it's allowed. When you want to it to work you click "Allow" which then shows "Don't allow". I feel like Vinnie' Barbarino' "I'm so confused".

Update:
I went to the AVS4YOU website and their read installation instructions. The recommend and show how to do a clean install. This includes performing a registry clean up of residual artifacts left behind when uninstalling the program. After performing these steps and installing the software "lo and behold" Stereo Mix worked.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 pm 

Glad to hear that you got it working. :)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:30 pm 
welcoming committee

I also have to set the default to the Realtek Audio Speakers even though I don't have any. I then plug my headphones into the front 3.5 connection. This is very similar to what Steve mentioned earlier. All is well in Michigan other than it's to darn cold! Thanks for all your input.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Great news that it has been resolved!
Interesting that the option in Windows 11 shows the opposite of what one would expect. I'll have to check my Windows 11 machine and if it matches what you see, I'll report it via the Windows Insiders feedback as unwanted behavior. ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:06 pm 

sboots wrote:
Great news that it has been resolved!
Interesting that the option in Windows 11 shows the opposite of what one would expect. I'll have to check my Windows 11 machine and if it matches what you see, I'll report it via the Windows Insiders feedback as unwanted behavior. ;-)

Steve, I previously really didn't think of it but Windows 11 tends to not show the current setting but, rather, the option to change.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:47 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I sent the above message before you did your screenshots. To be honest I'm a bit surprised that you only show 2 options for sound recordings as I have like a dozen. With the audio software I use I get different recording/playback options than I do straight through the Windows Control Panel/settings options.

I have all the disabled and disconnected Recording or Input devices hidden. The same goes for the Playback devices. If I’m not using them I don’t need to see them. They clutter the list.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:12 pm 

Hey Terry,

Since you seem to use a lot of audio stuff you MIGHT be interested in the following:
https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm
Normally Windows only allows one audio out device. This software allows two by setting up another audio device that can have two inputs. I use it to allow my Yamaha sound system and my surround sound headset to be active at the same time. I just mute the one I'm not using. Well..... as to the headset I can't actually mute. I just set the volume to zero on the headset. If I'm using the headset I just hit mute on the remote for the Yamaha system. Sounds convoluted but is actually pretty easy to setup and works well. I use this as I sometimes do all-nighters watching movies. If I want decent volume I will use the headset to not bother neighbors in my apartments. It is just a LOT easier than opening the sound applet and selecting the output device. The software is donation ware which means that it is totally free but donations are welcome if you find it useful. It works well enough that I sent some money.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:21 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hey Terry,

Since you seem to use a lot of audio stuff you MIGHT be interested in the following:
https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm
Normally Windows only allows one audio out device...I use it to allow my Yamaha sound system and my surround sound headset to be active at the same time. I The software is donation ware which means that it is totally free but donations are welcome if you find it useful. It works well enough that I sent some money.

Thanks Jay I'll check it out. :tup3:

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:14 pm 

YW Terry, I like the software just due to my not needing to go to the sound applet all the time to switch output devices. It also allows for 2 hardware inputs and a virtual input but I've never played with that aspect. As an extra it has a dial type equalizer and a graphic placement setup where
you place a square where you are in relation to the speakers and it adjusts the output to comply. This is the interface:
Attachment:
voicemeeter.jpg
voicemeeter.jpg [ 141.92 KiB | Viewed 3423 times ]

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows