Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Keep in mind that I've only been running Windows 11 for a day as of this post... After a day I like it and don't at the same time. Also keep in mind that the Windows 11 installer did not like my CPU and I used a registry hack to circumvent.

I don't like the Start Menu and Taskbar.
  • The Start Menu just seems cumbersome but can be cleaned up by unpinning unwanted items. Not really a factor for me as I use a third party Start Menu that allows switching between menu types. At the end of this will be images of the Windows 11 Start Menu and what I use.
  • The Taskbar has been destroyed. It now takes a registry hack to change the size of the Taskbar. Also, there is no longer the ability to add a toolbar to the Taskbar such as "Links". The lack of toolbars on the Taskbar bothers me as I like a TOTALLY clean desktop. In the past I used a 'Links' toolbar to pin the Recycle Bin to the Taskbar. I worked around this lack by pinning the Recycle Bin to the Start Menu. I hope that the lack as to the Taskbar changes with future updates. Here is a link for the hacks to change the Taskbar size. There are only three options; small, medium and large.
    https://jaylach.com/downloads/change-taskbar-size-in-windows-11.zip

Initially I had issues with full screen apps, such as games and/or movies, automatically minimizing to the Taskbar about every 30 seconds. The problem was quickly solved by installing video drivers specific to Windows 11. I don't really consider this to have been an issue as I would eventually go through all my major driver packages looking for updates anyway. What initially tripped me up on the video was the fact that the Radeon Software package said it was up to date and going by the version number it was. The thing was that the actual drivers were a carry over from Windows 10. I directly downloaded the Windows 11 software and driver package from AMD. I installed as a clean driver install wiping out the previous drivers and all was well.

Bottom line is that I think Windows 11 looks decent but is still a work in progress.

The first of the following images is the default Windows 11 Start Menu that has already been cleaned up a bit as to pinned apps. The second image is the Start Menu that I use. The third party Start Menu can be found at https://stardock.com This app allows switching back and forth between Start Menus.

Here is the 'cleaned up' default Windows 11 Start Menu:
Attachment:
11-start-1.jpg
11-start-1.jpg [ 107.01 KiB | Viewed 4508 times ]

Here is what I normally use:
Attachment:
11-start-2.jpg
11-start-2.jpg [ 68.45 KiB | Viewed 4508 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Nice write-up.
I don't mind the Start menu change as I pin my most used programs to the taskbar. If I need to run something else, All Apps or the Search box works fine for me.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:20 pm 

sboots wrote:
I don't mind the Start menu change as I pin my most used programs to the taskbar. If I need to run something else, All Apps or the Search box works fine for me.

Since I use a third party Start Menu I don't mind the difference either and I also use the Taskbar for most used items.

Basically I am having no operational issues but I DO hope that there will be more Taskbar functionality in future releases. In my humble opinion the removal of being able to add toolbars such as "Links, and others, is a bad mistake by Microsoft and there are are plenty of gripes if a search is done.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:56 am 

OK, so there seems to be a function issue but it is minor. I have noticed that, at times, I will lose some resize options for an open window. If short term memory serves the loss has been restricted to the vertical sizing of a window only, not the horizontal. Closing the window and opening again resolves the issue. Just a quirk that I noticed and thought that I'd share.

On an early release I expect to see minor issues such as the above. As long as the thing works as it should in normal usage I have no issue with an odd glitch or three. ;)

Hey, a whole half a day later I found something to gripe on. :rofl2: Actually, to be honest, I'm impressed with how little issue I have had with the upgrade to Windows 11.

I dropped my virtual machine back to Windows 10 doing a clean install so I have both on my main system. Previously it was Windows 10 on the physical system with Windows 11 being on the virtual machine.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:33 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
Hey, a whole half a day later I found something to gripe on. :rofl2: Actually, to be honest, I'm impressed with how little issue I have had with the upgrade to Windows 11.

:lol: You're not griping... You are using, observing, and commenting. 8-)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:47 am 

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:

:lol: You're not griping... You are using, observing, and commenting. 8-)

And passing on that knowledge to us lesser mortals. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:53 pm 

There has been a lot of talk about Windows Updates and Windows 11 on non supported hardware. Updates will come through, updates won't and some will and some won't.

I think that I've removed any doubt by putting my main on the beta channel of the Insider's Program. Actually I thought it kind of ironic that the system is unsupported due to the CPU yet there was no problem putting it on the Insider's Program. ;) An update is installing as I type.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:50 pm 

And again I don't understand Microsoft but then who does? :dunno:

Earlier I griped about the ability to add toolbars, such as 'Links', to the Taskbar being taken away but it really isn't gone; there is just no settings area to enable. I haven't done it but the Taskbar functionality can be restored with a registry hack. Winaero Tweaker, that I've mentioned quite a few times, will take care of it without the user needing to use the registry editor.

I don't understand why Microsoft will leave such code intact yet not make it available through settings. If asked Microsoft would likely say it was due to security reasons but how can this actually be if the code is still there? If toolbars in the Taskbar is a security issue does not that issue still remain if the code is still there? :dunno:

The Windows 11 Taskbar is not the only instance of this kind of stuff. With every release of a new version of Windows there are such cases. It just seems to me that, if there is a good reason to remove a feature, then remove it and don't leave the code still intact. Personally I think such things are a large reason as to why Windows has become so bloated; and bloated it is. Shoot there was a Windows 10 feature upgrade that would not even fit on a DVD, can't remember which upgrade it was but could dig through install media to find. Actually I just looked and it was the fall 2020 upgrade to 20H2 build 19042.572. To me it is just amazing that my Windows folder is ~30GB.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:59 pm 

LOL! No gripe, just an observation. ;)

As I've stated in other threads I run some very old games that I've had some issue with getting to 'stretch' to full panel instead of being a square displayed in the middle of the monitor. With going to Windows 11 that is all still fine and the old games DO render full panel.

Yesterday I noticed by chance that I was getting some artifacts at the top of the display if I ran the mouse cursor across the top of the screen. Restarted and loaded the games and the artifacts were still doing their thing. Today I fired the thing up and the artifacts were gone even with the same four games loaded. There was no Insider's Program updates.

Just something that I noticed and figured that I'd relate. :)

Overall I'm not seeing any issues with Windows 11, just a couple of aggravations such as the loss of functionality as to the Taskbar. Even the loss of Taskbar functionality was not a big deal as I just pinned my Recycle Bin to the Start Menu instead of the Taskbar; no big deal. :)

While I still believe that Windows 2000 and Windows 7 were the two best operating ever put out by Microsoft I can't really complain a lot as to my early experience with Windows 11.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:17 pm 

The artifacts at the top of my displays are back. It is a very small horizontal strip that does not actually affect anything. Since I never saw this with Windows 10 it has to be a glitch in Windows 11 or in the initial Windows 11 video drivers put out by AMD. I figure that it will probably go away with future updates of both. I more suspect a glitch in Windows 11 than the video drivers as the artifacting is only on the desktop, not while running a full panel app such as a game or movie.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:12 pm 
welcoming committee

I get a little vertical strip every once and a while on mine(happened in 10 too). I just change the refresh rate and put it back and it fixes the screen.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:57 pm 

dvair wrote:
I get a little vertical strip every once and a while on mine(happened in 10 too). I just change the refresh rate and put it back and it fixes the screen.

Mine is horizontal and at the very top of the display. I suspect the graphics drivers mainly due to my thinking they were an initial set and beta. I just saw that there is a new optional set of drivers and will give them a try.

<edit>
The new graphics driver update didn't help with the artifacting but I'm not all that surprised as it was a very minor optional update. Keep in mind that this is a very minor issue that does not interfere with anything.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:34 pm 

I MAY have found the source of the artifacting issue at the top of the screen. Shoot, I'm not sure that it is even actually artifacting even though it would leave traces of my mouse pointer if I moved the mouse across the area.

Anyway, all of a sudden, my old games went back to being a square instead of being full panel. I looked at my graphics settings and noticed that the global setting for GPU scaling had gone from 'full panel' to 'maintain aspect ratio'. I changed the setting back to 'full panel' and have yet to, again, see the issue. Hasn't been long enough to consider anything as being conclusive but it has been already longer without the problem than it has been since installing Windows 11. Ya, I know, I just jinxed the whole thing. :rofl2:

If the situation stays the same here is what I THINK was going on. I use third party software to give me an animated desktop background. This software will use it's own file type and/or .WMV files as the wallpaper animation. Since my animations are not 4K as are my displays I think that the global setting switch to 'maintain aspect ratio' instead of the desired 'full panel' made the animation not fill the display and the system just didn't 'know' what to do with the left over area. I started looking at this kind of possibility as my Surface 3, also running Windows 11, has not shown such an issue even though it is a MUCH lesser system but has no software installed to affect the desktop.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:40 pm 

Oh well, artifacting is back again today. To be honest it could be caused by several things as I run some third party software to make the system look "pretty" such as an animated desktop background and Start Menu mods. Just did an update for the Start Menu and desktop software but has not been long enough to see if it fixes.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:12 pm 

I guess the artifacts bothered me more than I thought. Reading my posts on it that was probably obvious to all except me. ;) I restored my clone backup and went back to Windows 10 on my main.

As releases come out I'll try Windows 11 again; probably even monthly cumulative updates. It isn't a big deal to try new releases as I will just download the current version and try on my main. If the artifact issue is still there I just restore my clone of Windows 10.

On the other hand I'm having zero issues with my Surface 3 running Windows 11 even though it does not actually meet CPU requirements so the Surface 3 and my main were in the same shape as to meeting requirements as the CPU in my main also does not meet requirements. So what is the difference between my main and the Surface 3?
  1. The Surface 3 is totally raw Windows with no modifications.
  2. My main has third party software modifying the Start Menu and Desktop.

Since the software to modify the Start Menu just came out of beta I doubt that it is the issue but the software for the animated desktop is still in beta. Since the artifacting issue involves the desktop I have to suspect the software that handles this. Of course I could try Windows 11 without the desktop animation software installed but my main is mainly a media system and I insist that it be 'pretty'. Having to remove the desktop animations is a deal breaker for going to Windows 11 so I didn't bother trying.

Bottom line is that I have no issues with the Surface 3 so I have to figure that bypassing the CPU check is not a real issue. My expectations are that I will end up running Windows 11 on my main but only after the artifacting issue is gone. I would not be surprised if the artifacting goes away as soon as the desktop animation software is out of beta.

If interested here are links to the third party software that I use.
Start Menu mod:
https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/
Desktop animations:
https://www.stardock.com/products/deskscapes/

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with the desktop software being the potential culprit and also agree with going back to Windows 10. I'm sticking with Windows 10 on my main machines as both don't meet the minimum requirements. I have the Release Preview Insider channel running on my Surface Pro 7. I still need to revert my other 2 Insider Program enrolled machines back to Windows 10 since they won't be getting any more builds of Windows 11 as they are way under spec. :-)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:22 pm 

sboots wrote:
I agree with the desktop software being the potential culprit and also agree with going back to Windows 10. I'm sticking with Windows 10 on my main machines as both don't meet the minimum requirements. I have the Release Preview Insider channel running on my Surface Pro 7. I still need to revert my other 2 Insider Program enrolled machines back to Windows 10 since they won't be getting any more builds of Windows 11 as they are way under spec. :-)

Steve, I believe that I WILL end up with Windows 11 on my main system but not until my "support software" catches up. One never can really know but I don't see an issue with my main running Windows 11 after all is sorted out. I mean the only thing out of specs is the CPU and it is an AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-core/16 thread at 3.6GHz.. If that can't run Windows 11 without issue then Windows 11 should not even be out there...

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:06 am 
welcoming committee

Hello Hello Hello!

I finally was upgraded to Windows 11 and have been familiarizing myself with all the new stuff and also seeing what isn't working. At first glance it appears most of my installed programs are working as they should. Hooray!!

Some pros and cons:
Pros
  1. Windows 11 installed relatively fast, maybe 30-40 minutes.
  2. Everything works and runs smoothly.
  3. I really like the new Sound section in the settings. I'm going to try running the room calibration feature today for my home theater. The new settings play both Dolby Atmos and DTS-X to my AVR.
  4. The picture quality is excellent on my 65" Sony Bravia OLED.

Cons
  1. The Start Menu is my only disappointment. I read that Jay voiced some minor issues but resolved them with a third party software. I was trying to avoid that. I did a Bing search and found these Registry modifications that worked when the videos were made. Microsoft must have done something because they don't work now. These were the modifications:
    This is just one of the many videos on how to do this. All videos give the same instructions.
    How To Enable Classic Start Menu On Windows 11

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    or
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

DWORD (32 bit) Value
    Start_ShowClassicMode
    Value = 1

I liked the Windows 10 Start Menu because it allowed me to create blocks or sections of apps that were used for specific functions like Daily Living contained Email, Calendar, Weather and News; Entertainment contained Power DVD, Plex Server, iHeart Radio, Sirius, Pandora etc. These sections or groups were great. You can't do this in the new Start Menu. Why did Microsoft change something that wasn't broken and worked very well? Thanks for the time. :D

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:31 pm 

Terry, you MAY find the following link of interest as to the Start Menu. Be warned that this looks complicated and is done at your own risk.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/desktop/customize-the-windows-11-start-menu

Here are a couple of discussions on the issue.

The first mentions Start 11 by Stardock. This is what I used to modify the Menu.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/524702/like-windows-10-can-we-do-grouping-in-start-in-win.html

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-start-menu-grouping/47c011c8-130b-436f-89ee-b7c4ca56bfdf

<edit>
BTW, if you want to give Stardock's Start 11 a try it only costs ~$6.00 and has a 30 day trial. You can use Windows 7, 10 or 11 Start Menus as a base.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:33 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Terry, you MAY find the following link of interest as to the Start Menu. Be warned that this looks complicated and is done at your own risk.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/desktop/customize-the-windows-11-start-menu

Here are a couple of discussions on the issue.

The first mentions Start 11 by Stardock. This is what I used to modify the Menu.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/524702/like-windows-10-can-we-do-grouping-in-start-in-win.html

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-start-menu-grouping/47c011c8-130b-436f-89ee-b7c4ca56bfdf

<edit>
BTW, if you want to give Stardock's Start 11 a try it only costs ~$6.00 and has a 30 day trial. You can use Windows 7, 10 or 11 Start Menus as a base.

Thanks Jay. I will say that I am not knowledgeable enough and will never try what is shown on the page the first link brings up. Reading the comments in the forums provided there are many disgruntled users voice their feelings. I agree with the suggestions that having the group option for the older users would make everyone happy. The young people can type. The older people can group. No harm no foul. Windows clearly didn't think this through. Can you say brain fart? :reye5: :roll: :oops2:

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:20 pm 

If you really want groups I'd have to recommend Start 11 from Stardock. Below is the Start Menu from my Windows 11 virtual machine.

Not really trying to convince you to use this but I think it your quickest and easiest solution.

Attachment:
start11.jpg
start11.jpg [ 94.33 KiB | Viewed 3978 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:05 pm 

Hey, Terry, here is another possibility for your groups without using the Start Menu. I use this a LOT! BTW! Make sure that you see my previous post above. We will cheat and put groups in the Taskbar instead of the Start Menu using the Taskbar's File Explorer icon. If you want I would be happy to put out step by step instructions but the end result is that you right click on the File Explorer icon on the Taskbar and, at the top, will be a list of folders that you have 'pinned' to the icon. The pinned folders would contain shortcuts to the items that would comprise a group. Let me know if this is something that may be of interest and I'll put up an outline of how to do. It is actually REALLY easy. :)

Attachment:
pinned-folder.jpg
pinned-folder.jpg [ 127.54 KiB | Viewed 3968 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:46 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
LOL! No gripe, just an observation. ;)

As I've stated in other threads I run some very old games that I've had some issue with getting to 'stretch' to full panel instead of being a square displayed in the middle of the monitor. With going to Windows 11 that is all still fine and the old games DO render full panel.

Yesterday I noticed by chance that I was getting some artifacts at the top of the display if I ran the mouse cursor across the top of the screen. Restarted and loaded the games and the artifacts were still doing their thing. Today I fired the thing up and the artifacts were gone even with the same four games loaded. There was no Insider's Program updates.

Just something that I noticed and figured that I'd relate. :)

Overall I'm not seeing any issues with Windows 11, just a couple of aggravations such as the loss of functionality as to the Taskbar. Even the loss of Taskbar functionality was not a big deal as I just pinned my Recycle Bin to the Start Menu instead of the Taskbar; no big deal. :)

While I still believe that Windows 2000 and Windows 7 were the two best operating ever put out by Microsoft I can't really complain a lot as to my early experience with Windows 11.

Hi Jay......I would have worded the line directly above a bit differently than you by changing "Windows 2000 and Windows 7 were the two best operating ever put out by Microsoft to Windows 2000 and Windows 7 ARE the two best operating ever put out by Microsoft." :rofl2:

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows