Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Widgets in Windows 11
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:55 am 
welcoming committee

This is from the Windows 11 Specs and System page. I thought Microsoft felt widgets were a bad thing. They took them away in Windows 7 for security reasons and are using them again in Windows 11. Are all widgets the same? I'm a little confused. I don't know what is staying and what is leaving.

Start is significantly changed in Windows 11 including the following key deprecations and removals:

• Named groups and folders of apps are no longer supported and the layout is not currently resizable.
  • Pinned apps and sites will not migrate when upgrading from Windows 10.
  • Live Tiles are no longer available. For glanceable, dynamic content, see the new Widgets feature.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:46 am 
Site Admin

The reason that the prior implementation of widgets was shut down, the Sidebar with Gadgets, was due to security. Widgets are implemented differently, so the belief is that they are more secure.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:42 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
The reason that the prior implementation of widgets was shut down, the Sidebar with Gadgets, was due to security. Widgets are implemented differently, so the belief is that they are more secure.

Is Microsoft 100% sure though? Steve are you comfortable with this direction MS has taken? I've grown used to not using widgets. The Apps work well enough.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:51 am 
Site Admin

I don't know that they can be 100% sure, but Widgets are, I believe, basically apps. Apps in Windows 10/11 don't have access to resources that could easily compromise the OS and, therefore, the security of the system. The sidebar was more directly associated with the OS system processes, so vulnerabilities were discovered that caused the recommendation to stop running the sidebar and gadgets. I missed the gadgets at first, but I now see no need for them or widgets on the desktop.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:53 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The best that I can offer is that if you are not comfortable with Widgets just don't use them. ;) If you DO use them I would suggest they only be gotten from the Microsoft Store where I would hope that they are checked.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows