Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:16 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The release came a day early and I tried. I was refused due to an unacceptable CPU and lack of TPM. Unless I missed something there was no way to install anyway. It just said no.

In my humble opinion this is garbage and just an attempt by Microsoft to get you to buy a new system. There is zero way that my main system can't run Windows 11.

This is one of those cases when I say "boo" to Microsoft. They are trying to take too much control. For instance what right does Microsoft have to insist that I have TPM? How can my CPU not be valid when it is an 8-core; 16 thread unit?

This is just wrong! :twisted:

I even had to reboot my system to get back my Hotmail email account access. The attempt to install seemed to shut down everything Microsoft on my system. Wish I had thought to try Office 365 before re-starting...

As is my system seems to have survived after a re-start and all seems fine again. I guess that I'll be staying with Windows 10 unless something changes.

This is not a good thing for these forums as we will not be able to troubleshoot Windows 11 issues if we can't even install the thing...

<edit>
This is even wielder! :dunno: My Windows 11 VM is currently updating to the current Windows 11 even though the the host system can not.

This whole thing makes zero sense! :dunno:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:38 am 

This is just off the wall. According to build numbers I seem to now be running the public release of Windows 11 in a virtual machine on a physical machine that will not allow the upgrade. :dunno: Makes no sense to me...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:16 am 

:rofl2: Now this is something to keep your little grey cells working overtime. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:39 am 
Site Admin

How did you try on the unsupported system?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:45 am 

I used the media creation tool to make a thumb drive installer and launched from Windows 10.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:24 am 

Here is some further info Steve.

While 11 would not install on my main system using physical media it did install on the virtual machine without media. I just launched the virtual machine and it started installing.

The virtual machine was on the Insider's Program and after the last Insider's build I got it never said that the system did not qualify. It just said that I'd have to wait for the public release. Seeing this I think it would be possible that it will also install on the systems of yours that were/are on the Insider's Program.

I DID double check and the virtual machine is in fact running build # 22000.194 which is the public release.

Hmmm, this is odd. According to this article it should not have installed on my VirtutalBox virtual machine but did and I'm not seeing any issues. May have installed due to already being on Windows 11 Insider's Program and not upgrading from Windows 10.
https://onestoptrendingnews.com/2021/10/05/public-release-of-windows-11-build-22000-194-known-issues-and-compatibility-holds/

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:51 am 
Site Admin

That's interesting and frustrating. According to what I've read, using the install media should work to bypass the requirements. It sounds like my experience with the Insider Program when the first build of Windows 11 refused to install after the system checks, but eventually allowed me to proceed after several tries.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 pm 

sboots wrote:
According to what I've read, using the install media should work to bypass the requirements.

I wonder if that might be only if doing a clean install. I've got just too much installed on my main system to do a clean install just to get to Windows 11. Shoot, my system drive shows 339GB used space and all my data and media are on different drives.

Mayhaps I should try the Windows side of my MacBook Air next as it has very little installed. Then again I MAY just let everything sit and wait to see if my virtual machine gets future updates. There is no major rush or anything.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yep -- no rush. :-)
It shouldn't just be clean installs that allow you to proceed. My understanding is that the system checks are performed at the start and you should get a screen allowing you to proceed once you accept an agreement that you acknowledge that you are going to be unsupported or something like that...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:34 pm 

I don't see any such screen Steve. Below is what I get and the only option seems to be to 'Close'. I did try the links at the bottom but they offer nothing as to proceeding.

I have found registry hacks to bypass the TPM and Secure Boot checks but am not going to do at this time. I have also found reference to replacing the Windows 'Install.esd' file in the install media's Sources folder with the one from a Windows 10 install media. Again, not trying at this time. Also, it seems that doing the install directly from an ISO file will help. The problem is that none of these articles are current with the latest being from July.

Attachment:
11-failure.jpg
11-failure.jpg [ 91.14 KiB | Viewed 4689 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

That's pretty close to what I was getting at the start of Windows 11 testing on the Insider Dev channel. A day later the dialog was different, allowing me to proceed with the install anyway. Of course, in retrospect I shouldn't have bothered and simply left the two old machines on Windows 10 in the Insiders program as now both machines aren't getting any more updates and I'll need to put them back on Windows 10 with a clean install to continue testing with them. :-P I still have too many computers, so I may just retire both of them and continue on the Windows Insider program with my Surface Pro 7 -- it's already on the Release Preview channel.
If I come across an article about upgrading unsupported hardware again in the tech blogs that I follow, I'll post a link. I don't recall which one had the details about the agreement to click through.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:11 pm 

I got this email in my Hotmail account this morning, it had lots of information with links to explore for more.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications#table1

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:44 pm 

I've seen that link before Joan but thanks for posting. :)

No big surprise but both the Windows side of my MacBook and my Surface 3 failed. Would it not be ironic if the only system of mine that has success is a virtual machine hosted by a system that does not qualify? :dunno:

I still have my second desktop and laptop to try but doubt there will be any luck.

From what I've read it is only the end consumer that is forced to abide by such things as TPM and Secure Boot. It would seem that Microsoft has given OEMs permissions to bypass this stuff. Of course I could be wrong but it sure seems to me to be a poorly hidden effort to make people buy new systems.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:26 pm 

Just keeping things updated as to what I've tried...

It would seem that the work-a-rounds I found were only valid for the Insider's Program releases, not the public release.

1) Mounting an ISO of the installer and running from the ISO gives the same failed results.

2) The registry hacks to bypass the need for TPM and/or Secure Boot are no longer effective.

Since Microsoft seems to be allowing OEMs to bypass the need for TPM and/or Secure Boot I had no qualms about trying myself just to test the hacks but I still would have been stuck on the CPU not being recognized. I'm sure that there will soon be solutions but I don't know that I'll bother at least until my successful virtual machine shows that Windows Updates for Windows 11 will come through.

Personally I would not be surprised if this situation causes enough uproar that Microsoft backs off on some of the restrictions.

<edit>
Actually, according to the following article, Microsoft is already backing off on some requirements and offering a registry hack to circumvent. Microsoft says that this will allow the install on systems running an unsupported CPU and removes the requirement for TPM 2.0 although TPM 1.2 is still needed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:00 pm 

I think I'm going to wait until there are actually laptops out there with it already installed before buying one. So far I've seen several that are sold with 10 but with notice that they are eligible to upgrade to 11 when the time comes.

What's to say that when the time actually comes they may well install but still come up short. There just seems to be too much confusion around at the moment, I wish they'd hurry up and sort it out I can't wait to start using it, I'm surprising myself just how
patient I'm being. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:06 pm 

Sounds like a plan Joan. ;) And, yes, there is a lot of confusion.

LOL! I'm not really as irate as I sound about this although I guess I AM a bit irritated. Bottom line is that it really isn't all that big of a deal as my systems do just fine with Windows 10 and I DO have Windows 11 on a virtual machine so I can still offer help with the OS.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:42 pm 

I'm down to only one machine here now, just my HP Laptop which came with 10. It's a 2 in 1 machine although I never use it in tablet mode and it is also a touch screen and came with the pen but I never use that either. I did get an HP Wireless Mouse for it as I can't really get on as well with the touchpad, plus I have the HP over the ears headphones.

I did join the Insider group but I don't get any of the builds from there and I've just never left the group so do get the email information sent to my inbox now and then.

I'm just hoping I'll be able to afford a new machine when the time comes, I want one with a good amount of RAM and a good sized storage drive.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:18 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
This is just off the wall. According to build numbers I seem to now be running the public release of Windows 11 in a virtual machine on a physical machine that will not allow the upgrade. :dunno: Makes no sense to me...

Hi Jay.........you can always try the downgrade to Windows 7 Pro. :rofl2: Just thought I would let you know that my Windows 7 has not had a single problem in quite some time now and through some "miracle install" I have MS Word back even though they said I had installed it on 3 computers and was no longer eligible to put it on this one.

That's not the reason for my post though. I was watching America's Got Talent on Youtube and just by chance, the next thing up had to do with installing Windows 11. It sounded very much like the problems you are having and the guy found an unorthodox way to make the upgrade work. It's all way over my head but thought I would pass it on to you. As for me, I will wait until I can buy a new computer with Windows 11 already installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOG9lW0GlCc

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:31 pm 

Thanks Allyson. :)

I've seen that solution but don't want to implement at this time. I'm just going to sit back and see what happens.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:40 pm 

Well, I am what I am... :mrgreen: Could not let it alone.

I have successfully upgraded to Windows 11 on my main system and my Surface 3. I went back to Windows 10 on my main but am leaving Windows 11 on my Surface 3. Both systems were good on everything as to the upgrade except for the CPU. The following link leads to a registry hack that will prevent the Windows 11 installer from checking the CPU. This hack SHOULD also lower the requirement for TPM 2.0 to TPM 1.2 but I could not test as both systems I did have TPM 2.0. There is also the possibility of an unsupported system not getting Windows 11 updates but I THINK that applies to feature updates, not security updates and patches.

Use this at your own risk. Although I have used this hack to do a couple of systems and consider it totally safe one never knows, hence the warning.
https://jaylach.com/downloads/Enable-Unsupported-Upgrades.zip

BTW, I'm sure that I would quickly get used to it I don't like the Windows 11 Start Menu.

<edit>
Another BTW... :) The requirements for hardware for Windows 11 seems to me to be off the wall. My Surface 3 seems to be running Windows 11 just fine while only having a 4-core Atom CPU yet Microsoft is blocking at least generation 6 I5 and I7 CPU's. Makes no sense to me. :dunno:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:20 pm 

My concern as to getting Windows Updates when Windows 11 is installed on unsupported hardware seems to be going as expected. Cumulative Updates seem to work as I am in the process of installing the 2021-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5006746) on my Surface 3 running Windows 11.

I was also able to set the Surface 3 to do beta releases of new Windows 11 builds via the Insider's Program. Of course only time will tell but I THINK that the fears of not getting updates on unsupported hardware can be laid to rest. Could there be levels of unsupported hardware? Of course there could. In my case the only thing lacking was the CPU.

Things may change but the registry hacks to not check at all for TPM and Secure Boot do not seem to actually work and I've tried them all as of 10/15/2021. Also I have not been able to get the hack that combines the Windows 11 source files with the Windows 10 installer to work.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:50 pm 

Furthering the experience... :ugeek:

For the second time I put Windows 11 on my main system and had the same issues as I had the first time. The problem was that a full screen app would constantly minimize to the Taskbar. Not a thing that is acceptable for playing a game or watching a movie. ;)

I actually had a thought and hence an idea. I upgraded my main again to Windows 11 and had the same issues. I wondered if it might be caused by my video drivers even though a check for updates showed the system being fully updated on the video. This was checking directly through the Radeon Software, not Windows Updates. The thing is that the video drivers were carried over from Windows 10. I downloaded the AMD Radeon Software and driver package specifically put out by AMD for Windows 11 and installed allowing the previous install to be removed. Magically all the issues went away. :)

Just a lesson as to process. Upgrade to a newer OS; always check for device drivers specifically made for the new OS. ;)

So far all seems good.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Good advice. One can't reply (autocomplete, apparently!) rely on Windows taking care of drivers properly during an upgrade...

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:40 pm 

sboots wrote:
Good advice. One can't reply on Windows taking care of drivers properly during an upgrade...

Over time I'll check other device drivers but, as of now, all seems good. :)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:57 am 

Glad to hear you've managed to sort stuff out Jay. I'm still being patient waiting for laptops arriving with it already installed, just hope I can afford one when they do arrive. :roll:

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows