Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I just ran the tool to see if my main system is good for Windows 11 and it said that my CPU did not meet minimum requirements. :dunno:

I mean come on! I'm running an AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8 core, 16 thread, 3.6 GHz. processor. This makes no sense... :twisted:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:23 pm 
welcoming committee

It is because it is an AMD CPU. It probably will run it however.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:42 pm 

BillG wrote:
It is because it is an AMD CPU. It probably will run it however.

Not an AMD issue as the approved CPU list includes a LOT of AMD processors even as low as Ryzen 3. I think it may be a glitch in the tool.

Regardless it SEEMS that this all just involves upgrading through Windows Updates. What I've read seems to indicate that one can still do a manual install from physical media. Don't know if this requires a clean install of if will work as an upgrade. If it requires a clean install I don't know if I'll do it. To be honest, if it comes down to it, I'm fine with Windows 10 and it does not reach end of life until 2025.

Of course I'll do a fresh clone backup to my second M.2 SSD before I try. The worst case is that I clone my backup back to the system drive.

I just don't like the direction this is going. Sure, if my hardware actually can't run the thing let me know. But things like demanding TPM and Secure Boot seem a bit out of line to be required.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:03 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bit disheartened by the CPU requirements for Windows 11. I have it on 3 systems through the Insiders program. Two of them are way old and don't meet the specs for CPU and also the TPM and secure boot. It runs just fine. My desktop PC is about 5 years old and it also doesn't meet spec because the CPU is not recent enough, despite being an i7 6700K. I'm fine with using Windows 10, but I do think that the requirements for Windows 11 are way too restrictive. I know that I can choose to upgrade manually -- it simply won't be offered via Windows Update, but my concern is that the wording from Microsoft suggests that Windows Update for any system that is out of spec may not deliver updates.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:51 am 

I think that I'll probably hold off on upgrading most of my systems. I may just do on my virtual machine and then see what happens as far as future updates.. If it updates then I'll do my physical systems.

Even if Windows Updates does not work one could probably download the updates and install manually but that would quickly become a pain especially considering the fact that I have 5 physical systems running Windows plus the VM.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:37 pm 

I was looking again at laptops yesterday, most of the ones I looked at came with 10 but said they could be upgraded to 11 when it was available. I know it's supposed to be out next week and I think I'm going to wait until there are machines out there that actually come with it already installed.

It seems as well that new laptops now come with SSD drives rather than HD's. I've been very happy with this HP Laptop of mine as it runs very cool and has dual storage, an 128 SSD and a 1TB HD. I bought it in late 2017 but can't put 11 onto it as there isn't enough room, the specs say 11 wants 64GB but my SSD only has about 25GB left, even though I have as much as I'm able installed on the HD and can't move anything else from C: to D:

Another problem with this laptop is that the battery no longer holds a charge and it's internal so I wouldn't be able to change it, I can't even see how you get into it. I run it permanently plugged into main power now.

I'd like to get a Laptop with a 1TB SSD, I'd probably be able to afford one of those but I couldn't the lowest I'd want would be a 512GB and hope it wouldn't get filled up with updates to quickly. :roll:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:47 pm 

Joan, in case you are not aware you MIGHT be able to free up a lot of drive space. Right click on the drive and select Properties then Disk Cleanup. After it scans and brings up the normal stuff click Clean up system files. This will get rid of previous update install files and such. I do this after every monthly update.

<edit>
Actually I must have missed some 'disk cleanups' after updates. I just ran it including system files and it removed a bit over 5GB just on Windows Update files.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:03 pm 

I already do this Jay, but leave it for a short time before I do to make sure there are no problems with the update, mind you saying that not sure if I did it after the last one, I will check and see what happens.

I still want a new laptop though and keep each OS on their own machine. :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:16 pm 

JoanA wrote:
I still want a new laptop though and keep each OS on their own machine. :lol:

LOL! Now we get to it. ;) You just want a new system and that is totally fine. :mrgreen: If it wasn't for that the worst case with the current system would be getting a bigger drive but that would still not mean that your present system would meet the requirements. Really, to me, your plan seems good. :)

I'm beginning to think that I may go ahead and upgrade manually on my main system after making a clone. The only problem there is that I would not be able to do another clone until after Windows 11 updates were released to make sure I can get.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:12 pm 

It wouldn't be worth the expense for this machine, without digging down I don't know if the hardware would be enough plus it needs a new battery as I'm having to keep it connected to the mains, there is a message that comes up when I first turn the machine on about the internal battery.

I wouldn't even know how to get inside the laptop as there are no visible screws on the bottom. I bought it in 2017, it came with Windows 10 and I've been very happy with it, it is very cool, whereas the Asus I had ran very hot and I had to have it sat on a cooling tray.

I did a reboot and then did a clean up but even telling it to clean up system files it only save about 74MB of space so only had 21% just over 25GB space.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:19 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan, as an aside you can replace the internal battery after a bit of forcing the laptop to open its mouth. The screws are probably under the rubber feet on the bottom.
(I have replaced the battery on the laptop I am on twice. Reminds me of a jell pack)

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:21 pm 

BillG wrote:
Joan, as an aside you can replace the internal battery after a bit of forcing the laptop to open its mouth. The screws are probably under the rubber feet on the bottom.
(I have replaced the battery on the laptop I am on twice. Reminds me of a jell pack)

Hi Bill. :) Basically I agree with you but there are some systems where the battery and drive are actually hardwired and not replaceable.

Add to the above that Joan seems to want both a Windows 10 and 11 system I think that her plan of just keeping the current system as is and then buying a new system with Windows 11 is a good plan. Since Joan seems to only use the current system at home, and it is fine plugged in, I personally think that her plan is valid. :)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:41 pm 
welcoming committee

Of course her plan is sound. I was just offering a possible alternative.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:16 am 

BillG wrote:
Of course her plan is sound. I was just offering a possible alternative.

LOL! I have done the same... ;)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:04 am 

Thanks for that Bill, it is not something I'd feel comfortable doing plus the bottom of my laptop doesn't have feet.

I know when I turn it on first thing I get a black screen with command like writing telling me it noticed that the internal battery was low. It tells me to press Enter to carry on with the boot up. I know there is another line with a message in a different colour I can't remember what it says now, I don't take any notice of it but it's something about getting in touch with someone.

I appreciate the help from you both. It's just a question of finding one I can afford that has the most storage, I see plenty that have 512GB SSDs, I think they are mainly 8GB RAM, I think I saw one that had 16GB RAM with a 1TB SSD but can't remember now if it's one I can afford. I've been looking at Acer, HP and a few Asus, although after having an Asus and finding it one that tended to run hot I'm not so keen to go with them again. I want one that definitely doesn't have a less than 15.6 monitor.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows