Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:48 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This relates to my second system that had Windows 10 but was dropped back to Windows 7 due to the video card not performing well. I got a new video card for my main system and installed my old main video card in the second system.
viewtopic.php?p=28295#p28295

Since I had previously had Windows 10 on the second system I decided to see what would happen if I did an upgrade install of Windows 10 after changing the graphics card. It worked and my previously installed software is still good and Windows 10 shows as activated.

The software I had installed in Windows 7 such as Power DVD and Office 365 are still fine as are my shared sync folders.

I didn't know if the upgrade install would work especially with changing video hardware but it did. Looks like all I need to do is to install the Windows 10 version of the video drivers... decided to do the video drivers and software before finishing this. It all went well and without issue.

Last thing is to remove Avast AV which carried through from the Windows 7 install and bring back Defender. Malware Bytes Premium made it through the upgrade just fine. Avast is gone and Defender is active. Windows 10 is activated and all is well.

I know that this upgrade install worked due to Windows 10 previously being installed but I had some doubts due to hardware changes. I'm glad I gave it a try as it was a lot easier and quicker than doing a clean install. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows