Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I didn't know whether to put this here or in Virtual Machines but decided on here...

I run, or ran as I decided to remove, Windows Vista in a virtual machine. Since Vista's Defender can no longer update it is basically defenseless. I doubt that many are still running Vista on a virtual or physical machine but thought this warning worth posting anyway.

It is a bit odd as Avast AV works fine on my XP virtual machine yet destroyed my Vista virtual Machine when I tried to install. AVG also toasted my Vista install. Not sure but I THINK that AVG still works with XP. In both cases I just brought back the virtual hard drive from my backup on my second system but decided to remove the Vista virtual machine anyway due to no real need. I still have virtual machines for XP, 7, 8.1 and 10. Outside of just playing I have these for the purpose of tracing down issues presented here without possible damage to my physical system.

Bottom line... If, by chance, someone running Vista sees this stay away from Avast and AVG as to an AV solution as they are going to kill your Windows install. If this happens recovery is probably possible but I didn't bother trying. A recovery disk doing a System Restore would probably do the trick.

I just found it a bit odd that at least Avast does fine on XP yet kills Vista when XP is the older OS.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Very interesting, Jay.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:48 pm 

sboots wrote:
Very interesting, Jay.

Ya Steve, it is a bit interesting and odd. :dunno:

My XP virtual machine was running Avast but, to test AVG and the fact that AVG is less intrusive, I removed Avast and installed AVG without issue so both Avast and AVG still work on XP. Since Vista is 'newer' than XP it seems really odd that both will break Vista but install fine on XP. LOL! Just proves that Vista was the real "mistake by the lake", not Cleveland. Hey, I can say that. I'm from the Cleveland area. :rofl2:

As a note I was surprised to find that Avast and AVG are actually the same company. I forget which is which but think it is that AVG is a subsidiary of Avast. Might be the other way around but I think I have it right. What made me look was the fact that the install engine and customize options are exactly the same on both.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:21 pm 
welcoming committee

I found this quote via Google:
In July 2016, Avast bought AVG Technologies. So, even though these are two separate products, they now belong to the same company.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:42 pm 

bbarry wrote:
I found this quote via Google:
In July 2016, Avast bought AVG Technologies. So, even though these are two separate products, they now belong to the same company.

Thanks BB. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows