Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:34 pm 
welcoming committee

I have two computers and two wireless printers on my home network. Both printers appear to be connected to the network. From my primary computer, an HP Pavilion, I can prepare (type) a document and print it at that computer's printer (a Canon mx922), or I can send it to an alternate printer (an HP 8610 Office Jet Pro) located in another room at another computer, an HP Envy. What I cannot do is prepare a document on my secondary computer (Envy), and send it over my network to my primary computer's printer (the Canon). I cannot do this because I have no listing in the "print to" (or "Print Using) menu on my Envy computer for my Canon printer. What I need to know is how I can get my Canon printer listed on the print menu of my Envy computer.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:01 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sorry about all the following questions but they may help.

What version of Windows on the Envy?

Did you install the Canon drivers and software on the Envy?

Do you have file and printer sharing enabled on the Envy?

If you just select to print a document the Envy does the resulting dialog list a printer in a pull down menu where you can select a printer?

Does the Canon printer show in Devices and Printers from the Control Panel on the Envy?

Hopefully sboots will see this as he is much better at networking than I.

And welcome to the forums? :) How did you find us?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

You called them wireless printers, but also noted that they are at computers. Are the printers connected directly to the computers or only plugged into power and set up to connect to your home network via WiFi?
If they are truly network printers (not connected to the PC directly) --
On the Envy, have you added the mx922 as a networked printer? https://www.techbout.com/add-wireless-network-printer-in-windows-10-12868/

If the mx922 is actually connected to the Pavilion PC, you would first need to Share the printer from the Pavilion. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/share-your-network-printer-c9a152b5-59f3-b6f3-c99f-f39e5bf664c3

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:07 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for your reply, Stephen. My printers are definitely wireless, and they are not connected to my computers except for electrical power. No other cables are attached to them. They are set up to connect to my home network via wifi. I have NOT added the mx922 Canon to my Envy computer as a network printer, and that is apparently what I need to do. Exactly how do I do this? I do have the original installation disk that came with my Canon printer. As I mentioned earlier, the mx922 Canon printer is not hooked to my Pavilion pc except for electrical power. In fact, up until a week or two ago my Network was working well with these same two computers and printers. Thanks for your help. Doug Burch

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

You are welcome, Doug. Follow the steps in this link to add the network printer or follow instructions provided by Canon for the setup.
https://www.techbout.com/add-wireless-network-printer-in-windows-10-12868/
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART149512
I have a Pixma 920 series printer, too, and chose to plug it into my network with an ethernet cable rather than go wireless, as it is a more stable connection, but since you have it working for your other PC, I think you simply need to add the printer in Windows on the Envy. Let us know how it goes. :-)
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for all the help you provided to me, Steve. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, but I had to deal with a rather immediate medical issue. Right before all that took place, though, I was able to get my printer successfully connected to my network---and it works great. Thanks again for your help! You are certainly a credit to Computer Haven! By the way, I now have 66 year-old, well-flowing carotid arteries! DougB.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'm glad that the printer issue is resolved, but the news that your medical issue has been resolved is much more important!

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows