Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:47 pm 
welcoming committee

OK Guys........hitch up the horses, it's a long ride from the Ponderosa to Microville. I have about 100 programs that wont run (wont even open) on Microsoft's incredibly complex Windows 10. I also ran into the same problem with Windows 7.......it apparently has something to do with x32 and x64 not being part of the programs I am trying to install. I think these programs were all on my Windows XP computer, however, in a frenzy to get people to upgrade to 8 or 10, my XP Computer was ambushed just south of Virginia City and carried off to a remote location where it is no longer in use.

So, my question here is how to restore that computer back to XP. I have the XP installation CD and the metal side off the computer so what next? If you can please, I need a step by step on how to do this.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:59 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I would not install XP as the main OS on a system but, if you insist, just put in the install CD and boot to the CD. You may need to change your BIOS boot settings to boot from CD first.

A MUCH better option would be to do XP as a virtual machine using VirtualBox.
https://www.virtualbox.org/

When you decide which way to go let us know.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:21 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I would not install XP as the main OS on a system but, if you insist, just put in the install CD and boot to the CD. You may need to change your BIOS boot settings to boot from CD first.

A MUCH better option would be to do XP as a virtual machine using VirtualBox.
https://www.virtualbox.org/

When you decide which way to go let us know.

When I turn the computer on with the XP CD in the drive, it boots right up to Windows 7 with no options to boot from CD so it looks like I have to change the bios settings so I can boot from the CD. What do I have to do to get into the bios and do that?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:04 pm 

You would tap on the proper key to enter the BIOS (May be called Setup). The proper key is often 'Delete', 'Escape', or 'F2'. You may also be able to bring up a boot menu to allow you to pick the boot device you want. The boot menu is often picked by pressing 'F9' or 'F11'. In any case it should show the proper keys on the startup (post) screen before Windows starts to load.

If you go the BIOS way you will just have to try different options until you find 'Boot order' or similar. As there are a lot of differences between different BIOS I can't really be specific. Anyway, you would want to make the CD the first boot option and the hard drive the second. Even with the CD selected as the first boot option you will still probably need to press any key when a 'Boot from CD...' prompt comes up

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:11 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You would tap on the proper key to enter the BIOS (May be called Setup). The proper key is often 'Delete', 'Escape', or 'F2'. You may also be able to bring up a boot menu to allow you to pick the boot device you want. The boot menu is often picked by pressing 'F9' or 'F11'. In any case it should show the proper keys on the startup (post) screen before Windows starts to load.

If you go the BIOS way you will just have to try different options until you find 'Boot order' or similar. As there are a lot of differences between different BIOS I can't really be specific. Anyway, you would want to make the CD the first boot option and the hard drive the second. Even with the CD selected as the first boot option you will still probably need to press any key when a 'Boot from CD...' prompt comes up

I am in the Bios and it is showing the following boot devices.
1.USB Floppy
2.Internal ODD
3. USB Storage
4.Internal HDD
5.On board NIC

I should choose ??

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:24 pm 

Is that your options for each boot order list or the actual boot order?

If the actual boot order I'd disable all except Internal ODD and Internal HDD. ODD should be your CD/DVD drive so it looks like:
1) Internal ODD
2) Internal HDD

You could also try launching the install CD from within Windows 7 but I can't remember if XP allows a clean install if started within Windows 7.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:42 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Is that your options for each boot order list or the actual boot order?

If the actual boot order I'd disable all except Internal ODD and Internal HDD. ODD should be your CD/DVD drive so it looks like:
1) Internal ODD
2) Internal HDD

You could also try launching the install CD from within Windows 7 but I can't remember if XP allows a clean install if started within Windows 7.

No luck with this at all. No matter what I put 1st, 2nd it just kept booting into Windows 7. I thought maybe the CD might be bad but I was able to open it and all the files seemed ok. I tried just running the setup for XP but it only took me as far as "What Do You Want to Do" and I clicked on "Install XP" and thats as far sa it went

So tell me more about Virtual Box......Looked at it and there seems to be dozens of options of what to download

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:13 pm 

VirtualBox is pretty cool as it lets you run another OS within Windows. The problem is that for it to perform well you need a pretty strong system. It doesn't have to be a beast but I'd recommend at least 2 GB of memory and a decent CPU. VirtualBox also needs your system to be able of hardware virtualization. If your system has it it may be disabled. You would then need to enable in the BIOS. This is at least needed to install a 64 bit OS as the virtual machine I'm not sure about XP 32 bit.

Of course your install media would need to be OK.

You would download the version 6.1.16 labeled for Windows hosts. Here is a direct download link.
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.16/VirtualBox-6.1.16-140961-Win.exe

If you get it installed let us know along with some of your system specs. such as memory, hard drive free space and CPU so we can advise as to settings that need to be made before you start the actual XP install.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:49 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
VirtualBox is pretty cool as it lets you run another OS within Windows. The problem is that for it to perform well you need a pretty strong system. It doesn't have to be a beast but I'd recommend at least 2 GB of memory and a decent CPU. VirtualBox also needs your system to be able of hardware virtualization. If your system has it it may be disabled. You would then need to enable in the BIOS. This is at least needed to install a 64 bit OS as the virtual machine I'm not sure about XP 32 bit.

Of course your install media would need to be OK.

You would download the version 6.1.16 labeled for Windows hosts. Here is a direct download link.
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.16/VirtualBox-6.1.16-140961-Win.exe

If you get it installed let us know along with some of your system specs. such as memory, hard drive free space and CPU so we can advise as to settings that need to be made before you start the actual XP install.

This is a Systemax Windows 7 Pro Computer, 64 bit OS, 8.00 GB Ram, Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @3.00GHz. It has an NTFS File system and there is 385 GB of free space. Virtual Box is installed and has a short cut on the Desktop.........Now What?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:33 am 

You should have no problem with VirtualBox unless hardware virtualization becomes an issue but, running an I5 it should have it; just a matter of if it is enabled in the BIOS as it is often disabled by default.

Your install media for XP still needs to be viable but, if needed, it can be downloaded.

Here is a link to some down and dirty docs on VirtualBox and XP.
https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/how-to-install-windows-xp-iso-on-windows-10-virtualbox.html

Here is a link to a download of XP Pro 32 bit Service Pack 3 in ISO format. You don't even need to burn it as VirtualBox can mount an ISO file. If it comes down to it you can download a virtual hard drive already setup with XP from Oracle which makes VirtualBox. Actually this is a cool site as it is designed as the Internet's Archive with over 70 petabytes of data. Yes, 70 petabytes of data is a LOT!. One Petabyte equals 1024 Terabytes.
https://archive.org/details/WinXPProSP3x86

Here is a link for XP already installed on a virtual drive compatible with VirtualBox including pictures. Sadly the images are not in proper order but you can sift through to get basic settings. This is the same site as above and, in both cases, the download links are to the right.
https://archive.org/details/xp51_20191108

I hope that none of the old software you want to install is graphics intense as it isn't going to play involved games or other graphics intense software well.

If you run into problems I can probably help. I can fumble my way around VirtualBox. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:47 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You should have no problem with VirtualBox unless hardware virtualization becomes an issue but, running an I5 it should have it; just a matter of if it is enabled in the BIOS as it is often disabled by default.

Your install media for XP still needs to be viable but, if needed, it can be downloaded.

Here is a link to some down and dirty docs on VirtualBox and XP.
https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/how-to-install-windows-xp-iso-on-windows-10-virtualbox.html

Here is a link to a download of XP Pro 32 bit Service Pack 3 in ISO format. You don't even need to burn it as VirtualBox can mount an ISO file. If it comes down to it you can download a virtual hard drive already setup with XP from Oracle which makes VirtualBox. Actually this is a cool site as it is designed as the Internet's Archive with over 70 petabytes of data. Yes, 70 petabytes of data is a LOT!. One Petabyte equals 1024 Terabytes.

Here is a link for XP already installed on a virtual drive compatible with VirtualBox including pictures. Sadly the images are not in proper order but you can sift through to get basic settings. This is the same site as above and, in both cases, the download links are to the right.
https://archive.org/details/xp51_20191108

I hope that none of the old software you want to install is graphics intense as it isn't going to play involved games or other graphics intense software well.

If you run into problems I can probably help. I can fumble my way around VirtualBox. ;)

No luck with this either.......all I managed to do was erase everything on my Windows XP DVD. Looks like the only option left is to do that download of XP but that option looks way over my pay grade here at the Ponderosa.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:19 pm 
welcoming committee

Allyson, that's too bad that you erased your XP DVD, because I was hoping that you could get XP running in virtual mode.

I have two old programs that are very important to me (calendar & address book), and they will only run under XP. So several years ago Jay helped me set up XP in virtual mode on my Windows 10 computer. As he suggested to you, I used Oracle's Virtual Box. And everything now works just fine.

I could not have done that without Jay's help (nor could I now repeat the process without Jay's help, lol).

So hopefully you will press on with better luck........

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:08 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Allyson, that's too bad that you erased your XP DVD, because I was hoping that you could get XP running in virtual mode.

I have two old programs that are very important to me (calendar & address book), and they will only run under XP. So several years ago Jay helped me set up XP in virtual mode on my Windows 10 computer. As he suggested to you, I used Oracle's Virtual Box. And everything now works just fine.

I could not have done that without Jay's help (nor could I now repeat the process without Jay's help, lol).

So hopefully you will press on with better luck........

Hi bbarry.......I went through my cd's again and found that I have 4 more XP discs and they all show up when I open my dvd drive so I am back to step one, how to get the dvd drive to boot first. Right now I am working with another Computer that has Windows 7 on it and although I can get into the boot menu by clicking on the delete button, I am not having any luck getting the dvd drive to boot first so I am apparently doing something wrong. I will keep pushing buttons, maybe I will get lucky.

More to add to this now: There was an EFI CD,DVD boot option that had to be set to (Non EFI) and when I did that, it started the Windows XP install and it apparently deleted everything on the Hard Drive and installed XP..........However, after it was all done, it brought up a screen that said Boot from CD/ROM and it went through the same process again of installing XP so I dont see a way to stop it from booting from the CD/ROM over and over.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:59 pm 

Take out the XP install CD... ;)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:22 pm 
welcoming committee

It's been a while since i attempted a clean install of XP but this may help:

How to Clean Install Windows XP
A Complete Walkthrough
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-xp-2624911

At some point the XP install disc needs to be removed (or booting from the CD/DVD needs to be skipped) but i forget when, the step by step guide above isn't clear on that either but i thinks its after 'Step 23' has finished?

HTH.

Last edited by Doddie on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Fwiw, it's highly unlikely any of your XP installation discs have XP Service Pack 3 (or possibly even SP2) included so you may need to download them as well to have a working (latest) version of XP if your installation discs don't include them.
If you slipstreamed SP3 onto your installation discs then you won't need to worry about that.

Mentioning that only because i strongly doubt Windows Update will offer Service Pack updates for XP any more.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:54 pm 

To be honest I'd rather see you go with a virtual machine as it has the host system's security to help out but the bottom line is it's your decision. ;)

Once things are settled down please install Avast as an anti-virus.
https://www.avast.com/en-us/lp-ppc-hp-v4?ppc_code=013&ppc=a&msclkid=0b0abb24c156171d9037e4e1a8506303&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=en-us_ava_sch_brn_exc_bng_dtp&utm_term=download%20avast%20free&utm_content=top-avast_download_free-exact&gclid=CPvtg_Ofq-0CFRdVfgod80EA8Q&gclsrc=ds#pc

Also, if you intend to take this system on-line you will need a browser since the latest version of Internet Explorer that will run on XP will fail on many sites. To my knowledge your only real option will be Firefox.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:20 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
To be honest I'd rather see you go with a virtual machine as it has the host system's security to help out but the bottom line is it's your decision. ;)

https://www.avast.com/en-us/lp-ppc-hp-v4?ppc_code=013&ppc=a&msclkid=0b0abb24c156171d9037e4e1a8506303&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=en-us_ava_sch_brn_exc_bng_dtp&utm_term=download%20avast%20free&utm_content=top-avast_download_free-exact&gclid=CPvtg_Ofq-0CFRdVfgod80EA8Q&gclsrc=ds#pc

Also, if you intend to take this system on-line you will need a browser since the latest version of Internet Explorer that will run on XP will fail on many sites. To my knowledge your only real option will be Firefox.

No plans to go on line with this if I ever get it going.......latest update is that I got the message to click any key to boot with CD/ROM and I did not click anything and it installed XP up to a point. Actually got to the part where it said there would be 39 minutes left to install XP and that worked down to 35 minutes and I thought sure it was going to work.......then comes the blue screen of death with this error message:
irql_not_less_or_equal and it shut down the other 35 minutes of download. I got the same results from all the XP CD's that I have.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Allyson wrote:
jaylach wrote:

No plans to go on line with this if I ever get it going.......latest update is that I got the message to click any key to boot with CD/ROM and I did not click anything and it installed XP up to a point. Actually got to the part where it said there would be 39 minutes left to install XP and that worked down to 35 minutes and I thought sure it was going to work.......then comes the blue screen of death with this error message:
irql_not_less_or_equal and it shut down the other 35 minutes of download. I got the same results from all the XP CD's that I have.

I did an edit on this but it went away for some reason. Latest is I got an error message that asms is needed to use Windows XP which is ok if you know what asms is and how to get it to whoever wants it

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:45 pm 

Nearest I can discover this boils down to the install having issues with reading the CD.

Are your install CDs the original version or SP 2 or 3?

Personally, if I were to not use a virtual machine, I'd download the XP SP3 ISO from
and right click on the ISO file and select to burn to disk. Try this new CD as it is SP3.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:03 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Nearest I can discover this boils down to the install having issues with reading the CD.

Personally, if I were to not use a virtual machine, I'd download the XP SP3 ISO from
and right click on the ISO file and select to burn to disk. Try this new CD as it is SP3.

I do not know if the CD's are the original version or not. I burned a new CD from the link you gave me and put it in the computer and as before, the XP screen opens and it starts to install then a message pops up that says "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Pro CD ROM is needed.
Type path where the file is located and then check OK.........so I need to know what to type in the blank box

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:35 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I have been looking all over for a fix for that asms message and found one on utube. The fix does not work but it is exactly the same problem I am having. The lady that does the video is a bit scary at first but she does explain the problem, which has grown by the way........I now have 3 hard drives that used to run Windows 7 and now wont boot up at all and will end up as junk if I can't find a fix for this. Anyway, take a look at the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PMS8szjKoM

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:21 pm 

This is a guess as much as anything but I suspect that the XP install media does not have drivers for system's drive handlers. A virtual machine may be your best option but you would need to install Windows 7 or later first.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:44 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
This is a guess as much as anything but I suspect that the XP install media does not have drivers for system's drive handlers. A virtual machine may be your best option but you would need to install Windows 7 or later first.

Do you think it is conceivable, or even possible that 3 working computers and 3 working hard drives, and 3 working DVD/ROM drives would all come up with an 'ERROR' of one kind or another when 3 different Windows 7 installation CD's were installed in 3 different CD/ROM drives??? To me that means I have 3 corrupt Windows 7 Pro installation CD's or 3 DVD/ROM drives that cannot read the disc that's in them.....and that leaves me with 3 Computers that all used to have Windows 7 Pro on them but now they no longer work so I can no longer install Windows 7 Pro on them to even try the Virtual Machine thing.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:03 pm 

I think it possible that the failed installs may have messed up the hard drives. Personally I'd mount the drives in a working system, either internal or external, and see what Disk Manager says about them. If Disk Management sees them I'd try removing all partitions and set up as a simple partition taking the entire drive. If Disk Management fails I would try EaseUS Partition Master.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/?adbing&msclkid=aa9bb07f13ef18421533efb9b200741a&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=easeus%20search%20us&utm_term=easus%20partition%20master&utm_content=easeus%20partition%20master

The above assumes that you selected to do an advanced install of Windows configuring the drives as a single partition.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows