Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: email
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:10 pm 
welcoming committee

I am using windows 7 Pro and installed Microsoft Office 97 and everything worked ok up to the last step which was to open the program. When I tried to open the program, I got a message that said there is no email program associated with the program, please install an email program, then go to default programs in the control panel and make the association. I use gmail but it is not an installed program. I am assuming they want me to install Microsoft Outlook so where is the best and safest place to go to download MS Outlook?

Post subject: Re: email
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If it isn't included in your copy of Office 97 you would have to buy Outlook from Microsoft.

Instead of buying you may want to install a free mail client to see if Office will see it as a default. I would suggest Thunderbird or emClient. Both are free but emClient only allows up to 2 email accounts unless you pay

Thunderbird
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

emClient
https://www.emclient.com/

If you try emClient free version you may find that you like it more than the web version. Setup should be easy as you just need to enter the email address and password. emClient will check with the GMail mail server for other needed settings.

Office 97????? I trust that you realize that you won't be able to open any files that were made with Office 2007 or later in the default format. It also has not been updated or patched since January 2002 when it reached end of life.

You can get Office 365 Personal for $6.99/month or $69.99/year. You can install on as many systems as you want as long as you do not access on more than 5 at the same time.

Office 365 Personal includes:
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Access, Publisher, OneDrive with 1TB on-line storage, Skype and Microsoft Editor.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/buy/compare-all-microsoft-365-products-b
The package I'm talking about is the one in the middle.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/buy/compare-all-microsoft-365-products-b

You DO need to have a Microsoft account which is easy to set up if you don't already have one. Personal is for just one person but you just log into your Microsoft account on each system and select to install. You can also install on mobile devices.

Another option with no cost is Libre Office. I've used it and it is a really nice package that is at least current and will open and save current Office files. It doesn't have everything that Office 365 Personal does but it IS free.
https://www.libreoffice.org/

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

I'm curious as to why starting Office prompted you about needing an installed email program. I am not aware of that being a requirement of any version of Office.
Obviously, Jay has provided you with alternatives for email programs to deal with that prompt, but I am 100% with Jay in that you really should reconsider having Office 97 installed on any computer at this point in time as it truly is a very out of date program and a pretty significant security risk.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:35 pm 

I've had Office ask for an email client. Actually, when I first installed Office 365 Personal, it wanted one if I remember correctly.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:20 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I'm curious as to why starting Office prompted you about needing an installed email program. I am not aware of that being a requirement of any version of Office.
Obviously, Jay has provided you with alternatives for email programs to deal with that prompt, but I am 100% with Jay in that you really should reconsider having Office 97 installed on any computer at this point in time as it truly is a very out of date program and a pretty significant security risk.

Hi Guys........I will try to reply to your posts here. I did some major house cleaning this week and sorted through the 200 or so CD's that I bought over the years and I came across a brand new copy of Office 97 Pro and decided to put it into the DVD Drive and see what happened. If you will recall, I had that Student Office Program that had Word on it and Microsoft screwed me badly by saying it was good on 3 computers and made it obsolete when I had to reboot my "one single computer" the 4th time.

Anyway, aside from that I did get a prompt about needing Outlook email before anything would open and I contacted you guys and guess what? Hallelujah.......Praise the Lord, a miracle happened. I could not believe my eyes when I saw that shiny blue "W" on my tool bar. I did not do anything and it just popped up there. I clicked on it and right off "Word" opened and right there was that dancing little paper clip guy ready to tell me what to do. I was able to add text, pictures, fonts, set margins etc; Now as for security, I did have AVG but it expired long ago and all I have running now is Microsoft Security Essentials. It scans the computer every night at 2pm and I do not intend to change that because the worst that could happen is I would need to reboot and install the Windows 7 Pro Cd again. I have 4 separate 2tb usb drives that can be turned on or off, one for pictures, one for music, one for Videos, and one for all my programs and office stuff so I will probably stay with Windows 7 Pro to the very end.

I want to thank the both of you for responding so quickly to my plea for help. I do have Libre Office installed but I prefer Microsoft Word and very glad that it's up and running again.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:32 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
I've had Office ask for an email client. Actually, when I first installed Office 365 Personal, it wanted one if I remember correctly.

Interesting. I guess it has been a very long time since I've installed Office and I generally also had email already set up or was installing Outlook as part of the suite.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Allyson wrote:
I want to thank the both of you for responding so quickly to my plea for help. I do have Libre Office installed but I prefer Microsoft Word and very glad that it's up and running again.

Glad that the problem is resolved. I'm also glad that you're happily running Word again and hope that you don't encounter any of the security issues that Office 97 is not protected against.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:31 pm 

If memory serves a new Office install will ask for an email client when installed without Outlook but things are still usable. The email thing will just come up at times.

I remember now how it was with Office 365 when I installed. Even though I installed Outlook with the package it would complain about Outlook not being the default as I use emClient. Finally I made Outlook the default and just kept using emClient.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
If memory serves a new Office install will ask for an email client when installed without Outlook but things are still usable. The email thing will just come up at times.

I remember now how it was with Office 365 when I installed. Even though I installed Outlook with the package it would complain about Outlook not being the default as I use emClient. Finally I made Outlook the default and just kept using emClient.

That makes sense. It would seem that emClient doesn't identify as a default email program, then.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:27 pm 

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:

That makes sense. It would seem that emClient doesn't identify as a default email program, then.

Yep, which means my suggestion of using emClient as a work-around was not valid. It wasn't until later that I remembered. Thunderbird MAY still be a valid solution but I've never tried. I guess it's a moot point now anyway.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:32 pm 
welcoming committee

I was able to select eM Client as my default email program. But then I don't have Outlook installed like Jay does

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:35 pm 

bbarry wrote:
I was able to select eM Client as my default email program. But then I don't have Outlook installed like Jay does

I can also set emClient as default but Office 365 does not recognize it as so.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:22 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Allyson wrote:

Glad that the problem is resolved. I'm also glad that you're happily running Word again and hope that you don't encounter any of the security issues that Office 97 is not protected against.

Hi Again......It's me Allyson and I have more exciting news to report. As I kept going through the program CD's that were stored in special 100 CD containers that I bought years ago, I came across one that had no label but written on it with one of those Black Pens was "MS Home and Student" so I thought it was worth a try to put it in my CD Player. Much to my surprise, I clicked on "Run.exe". It immediately asked for the key number and I used the key from the old CD that MS told me was no longer any good. It put up a green ok mark when I put in the last letter and immediately went on to install "MS Home and Student". At the end it asked if I wanted to register it by phone or by Computer and I chose by Computer and in a few seconds, the program was up and running allowing me to run Excel, One Note, Powerpoint, and Word. Of course I was thrilled.......yelled out to myself "Jesus H Roosevelt Christ", it Works !!!!! Maybe it was a Black Friday thing but Christmas came early for me.

Sorry for rambling on so but I'm still doing the happy dance.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:01 am 
welcoming committee

So what year was this MS Home and Student version? Perhaps 2007?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:21 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
So what year was this MS Home and Student version? Perhaps 2007?

Yes, it was Office Home and Student 2007 and the original CD that I have for that program does not work anymore.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows