Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 10 Shortcuts
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Everyone.....last time I was here was back in April of this year. My Windows 7 Computer has been running flawlessly since that time but I have a new problem that has come up through the use of an outside vendor. I got an email from Turbo Tax that Windows 7 Pro will no longer work with their latest tax program so I fired up my Windows 10 Computer which has been idle all this time. It booted up fine and seems to be working ok but it has about 15 shortcuts on the desktop with a button that you can click on that hides them. So my question for you is not how to hide them but how to delete those shortcuts?

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Shortcuts
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Di you try right clicking on the icons and selecting to delete? If so, and it didn't work, can you supply a screenshot so we can see what they are?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:54 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Di you try right clicking on the icons and selecting to delete? If so, and it didn't work, can you supply a screenshot so we can see what they are?

Hi Jay, this actually is an Edge Browser problem and not Windows 10 directly. You know how in Windows 7 that I can click on the IE Browser icon and it takes me directly to my home page, well when I click on the MS Edge icon, it takes me to this page with all those shortcuts on it plus a bunch of MS ads instead of my home page..........then I found at the top left of the page with all the shortcuts, there are two choices, one is my home page the the other is MS Edge, so in reality, I would like to go directly to my homepage when I first open Edge and not have it take me to this Mickey Mouse page with all the ads and other places that I have no desire to visit. Is that possible??

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:17 pm 

Oh, IE did the same thing until you told it what you wanted as a home page.

In Edge go to the site that you want as your Home Page and copy the address. Now click the 'hamburger menu', three dots, and select 'Settings'. Under the option listed as 'Open Microsoft Edge with" select 'A specific page or pages'. Click on '+Add new page' and paste in the address you copied and click the little disk icon to the right to save. You now have a Home Page set up. BTW, you can have multiple sites as your Home Pages; just keep doing the '+Add new page' thing. I have four tabs with different sites as my Home Page setup in Edge. Each one is a different streaming site... streaming is pretty much all I do With Edge. I use Firefox as my default browser.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Oh, IE did the same thing until you told it what you wanted as a home page.

In Edge go to the site that you want as your Home Page and copy the address. Now click the 'hamburger menu', three dots, and select 'Settings'. Under the option listed as 'Open Microsoft Edge with" select 'A specific page or pages'. Click on '+Add new page' and paste in the address you copied and click the little disk icon to the right to save. You now have a Home Page set up. BTW, you can have multiple sites as your Home Pages; just keep doing the '+Add new page' thing. I have four tabs with different sites as my Home Page setup in Edge. Each one is a different streaming site... streaming is pretty much all I do With Edge. I use Firefox as my default browser.

Got it Jay.......thanks so much for your help

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:20 pm 

No Problem. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows