Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:02 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I've gone back and forth as to joining the Insider Program but didn't really want to do on my main system yet I was curious about the fall 2020 upgrade. Then it finally dawned on me that I have a Windows 10 virtual machine. I set up the virtual Machine for the Insider Program getting beta versions. It is downloading as I type. I figure that I can see what's up this way without any danger to my main system. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

I've been running Insider builds on one machine for years and recently added another machine to the mix. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:48 am 

sboots wrote:
I've been running Insider builds on one machine for years and recently added another machine to the mix. :-)

When Windows 10 first came out I did the Insider Program but stopped due to not wanting to risk messing up my main system. At that time I didn't have the drives that I now do. I was doing my image backups to a USB2 external which took forever to image or restore. Today I have an internal drive for images and 2 M.2 SSD drives. One is the system drive, the second is for a clone backup. Especially with the clone drive I suppose that I could now safely do the Insider Program on my main system but doing on a virtual machine works fine for me as I didn't join to have the latest but, rather, just to see what was going on. :)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Yes, the machines I use for the Insider program are not my main system. I still have too much hardware. :-) The machine that's been on the preview for years was purchased specifically for testing back when Windows 8 was in development! It is the Samsung 700T tablet. That's the machine that Microsoft gave developers at one of the events during the Windows 7 development. I purchased mine as I am not a developer and didn't attend that event. ;-)
I added an older desktop to testing because the tablet internal fan starting getting noisy a few weeks back. I'm going to try to crack open the machine (found a YouTube video on how to get to the internals) to see if I can stop the noise, but I suspect that I'm going to have to retire the 700T.
Getting the opportunity to poke around at the development builds of Windows is pretty cool, but due to the potential for issues, I wouldn't put it on my main machine! I've had a few glitches with upgrades over the years, but I've never had to do a wipe and restart with the Insider machine.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:19 pm 

sboots wrote:
I added an older desktop to testing because the tablet internal fan starting getting noisy a few weeks back.

I wonder if the fan is replaceable. If lucky it may just need cleaning. They make some of this stuff too complicated to open. Worked on a laptop that you even had to pop the keyboard out to get the bottom off.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect that the fan would be a bear to replace. If it's the CPU fan, I'm not going to chance it as I don't have any thermal paste. The tablet is pretty ancient at this point, though it still works fine despite the whining of the fan. I'm hoping it's just a bit of dust that needs to be blown out. I'll let you know what I find if and when I can get the tablet opened up. Supposedly there are tabs all around the screen holding the back cover on. To release them you need to work a thin plastic tool -- about the thickness of a medium weight guitar pick (which is what the guy used in the video!) all the way around until you can peel off the back.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:30 am 

sboots wrote:
Supposedly there are tabs all around the screen holding the back cover on. To release them you need to work a thin plastic tool -- about the thickness of a medium weight guitar pick (which is what the guy used in the video!) all the way around until you can peel off the back.

LOL! I guess a guitar pick is the new tool of choice. Called for the same thing to pop the keyboard on the laptop I mentioned. I got tired of messing and took it to a local shop. It kept shutting down due to over heating. I figured the fan was gone on the laptop too. Turned out the fan was just clogged with pet hair. The local shop (Just Computers) is a pretty fair outfit and honest. They could have charged me for replacing the fan but they just charged ~$32.00 to disassemble, clean out the fan (actually the whole innards) and reassemble. This was a bit of a donation system. It belonged to a kid at work that got a new one. He donated the laptop and I got it fixed. It went to a lady at work whose previous system went belly up and she couldn't afford to do anything about it.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:38 am 
Site Admin

That's a pretty fair price and nice that the laptop got a new life for someone who really needed it.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:04 pm 

sboots wrote:
That's a pretty fair price and nice that the laptop got a new life for someone who really needed it.

The laptop was no big deal. I just thought it kind of funny that it also called for a guitar pick. ;)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows