Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:04 pm 
welcoming committee

@Jay - You have often mentioned that you don't let Windows do updates automatically; rather, you use DVD install media. So I have a couple of related questions:
(1) What is the benefit of doing it like you do vs letting Microsoft download and install directly?
(2) What are the exact steps you follow once Microsoft announces that an update is available? Do you first download an ISO file; if so, where do you get this file? And does this ISO file contain all of Win 10, including the new updates, or does it contain only the updated portions of Win 10?

Probably if you just explain how you do what you do (step by step, please), then all of my questions would be answered. :?

Thanks.......

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I have never said that I don't allow Windows Updates to install on-line. When I make install DVD media is when feature upgrades are involved such as the May 2020 feature upgrade. Normal monthly updates I allow to go through the normal Windows Updates.

As to your direct questions...
BB wrote:
(1) What is the benefit of doing it like you do vs letting Microsoft download and install directly?

Remember that this only applies to feature upgrades, spring and fall. Largely this is just personal preference but, I think, has advantages. Say that I'm in the middle of a feature upgrade and my internet drops and the upgrade fails. What havoc could this possible cause? To be honest I don't know. My actual guess is that the upgrade would just fail and revert back to the current running version of Windows. I just feel more comfortable doing it this way.
BB wrote:
(2) What are the exact steps you follow once Microsoft announces that an update is available? Do you first download an ISO file; if so, where do you get this file? And does this ISO file contain all of Win 10, including the new updates, or does it contain only the updated portions of Win 10?

If it is just a monthly update I just tell Windows Update to download and install by clicking 'download' on the update dialog. Remember that I have Windows Updates set to notify instead of automatic. It takes a registry hack to do this.

As to feature upgrades, such as the May 2020 upgrade, I go to the following link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
and select to 'Create Windows 10 installation media'. I download and install the tool and run. Under the options I choose to create media and select to do an .ISO download which I then burn to DVD. I then install the feature upgrade from the install DVD I made.

You have to understand that there is a difference between a monthly Windows Update and the spring/fall Feature Upgrades. Feature upgrades actually re-install Windows with a new version while monthly updates just fix security issues and current bugs.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:44 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. I guess the part that I didn't fully comprehend was the fact that the Feature Upgrades actually reinstalled Windows with a complete new version. So it was not clear to me how a user separated the old Win 10 from just the upgrades. But you helped me understand that the Features Upgrades replace the entire OS.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:47 pm 

YW :)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, in an above posting you stated that:
"As to feature upgrades, such as the May 2020 upgrade, I go to the following link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
and select to 'Create Windows 10 installation media'. I download and install the tool and run. Under the options I choose to create media and select to do an .ISO download which I then burn to DVD. I then install the feature upgrade from the install DVD I made."

Since the ISO download and install DVD that I currently have is several years old, I assume it is best to follow your above steps and update my media before I do my clean install. Is that correct?

And if I create a new install DVD following your steps, can I then use this DVD to do a clean install on any computer? On multiple computers? And if my new install DVD is for version 2004, can I also use it to upgrade my current computer running 1909?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:46 pm 

I would normally say it would be best to do the current 2004 install but there are issues on some systems. Still I suppose that I would still do that as you can do again with 1909 if there are problems. I don't know if you would be able to find a download for 1909 but I can put an ISO file on my hosting if needed as I have install media for every version all the way back to the original version. Actually I think you would want 1903 if there is a problem with 2004. 2009 was the November 2019 build and I don't know that it is a full install as it only took a few minutes.

Yes, you can use the install media on any system for a clean install or upgrade. Just remember that, if doing a clean install, you would boot the system to the install media. If doing an upgrade you would launch the install from within Windows.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. It may be a couple of days before I will have a chance to do all of this. As always, I appreciate your fast response. I will keep you posted.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows