Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:54 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
While this upgrade is available it is recommended to not manually install as there seems to be issues with some device driver compatibility such as Realtek Blue Tooth and NVIDIA graphics. The upgrade will not be deployed through Windows Updates to systems that may be affected.

I'm about to install anyway but I have a clone and image backups of my system drive to fall back to if necessary.

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Did on 4 systems, only 1 through Windows Update. 3 have some form of Nvidia graphics and none had any issues.

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:33 pm 

According to the article I read it was not all NVIDIA but, rather, specific driver sets. The following is not the initial article I read but seems, to me, to be better.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/05/28/microsoft-windows-10-2004-may-2020-update-free-windows-10-update/#129c5d313596

I've only done my main system so far using DVD install media. No real issue but a bit of an oddity. During the first restart my boot drive was changed to one with no OS. At first I thought that it was a failed upgrade but decided to check my BIOS where I found that the boot drive was changed. I changed it back and all went well although I did have to re-adjust the HDMI scaling on my second monitor.

I've had two alerts that I don't have a default email client and should install Outlook and set as default. I use eM Client and it is set as the default but eM Client does not see itself as such. If I keep getting alerts I'll just set Outlook as the default but keep using eM Client. May have just been a conflict as, through associations, eM Client was set as default but Outlook was set as default within Outlook's options.

In Device Manager it shows all devices as good to go.

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:14 pm 

I'm still using eM Client but have had no more alerts since I made Outlook default. I think this is actually an eM Client issue as, at least on my system, eM Client refuses to see itself as default even when set as such.

I DID have something weird happen earlier though. I lost the Taskbar on both displays. I could still ALT-TAB between open apps but could not bring up the Taskbar. I was just about to restart when the Taskbar came back. I restarted anyway and have not seen the issue since. I don't know if it had anything to do with the Windows 10 upgrade or just a combination of what I had open but minimized to the Taskbar. I had 4 games, eM Client, Excel and Firefox going along with the 3 apps I run in the background that makes Windows 10 pretty. With 32 GB of memory and an 8 core, 16 thread, CPU I doubt that it was a resource issue but who knows. :dunno: I do have the Taskbar set to auto hide.

<edit>
Here is a complete list of known issues put out by Microsoft.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:59 pm 
welcoming committee

I do not know if this applies to your monitor but you will loose the taskbar if you are in "Tablet Mode". There is no warning notice on the screen and I only discovered it after much trial and error and a reset to the system. (My wife's).

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:08 am 

BillG wrote:
I do not know if this applies to your monitor but you will loose the taskbar if you are in "Tablet Mode". There is no warning notice on the screen and I only discovered it after much trial and error and a reset to the system. (My wife's).

Thanks Bill but that wasn't the case. The Taskbar just went away and then came back several minutes later on its own. I did notice that when using alt-tab to switch between already loaded apps there would be sort of an outline where the Taskbar should be but the Taskbar would not actually come up.

So far I have not seen the issue again so am inclined to blame one of those infamous computer gremlins. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:24 am 

I installed version 2004 on the 12th December last year via the Insider Slow lane, this is on an AMD system.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:54 pm 

Just saw my first casualty with his upgrade.

A neighbor came over with his laptop that did the upgrade last night and it is a mess. I'm having him restore the previous version.

Symptoms:
1) Shows connected to the internet but no sites will open.

2) All desktop icons gone including those on the Taskbar.

3) DVD player refuses to 'see' a DVD.

4) While he can manually switch to the classic desktop it keeps reverting to tiles.

May be more issues but I considered the above enough cause to do a restore to the previous version of Windows.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:36 pm 
welcoming committee

I still say this sounds like my wife's computer in Desktop mode.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:51 pm 

BillG wrote:
I still say this sounds like my wife's computer in Desktop mode.

Could be. I checked the Tablet Mode settings and it was set to use the appropriate mode for my hardware which is the same as my three systems.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:19 pm 

As an add-on to my above post I played with tablet/desktop and use the appropriate mode and was a bit surprised.

1) Tablet mode is awful on a desktop system with a mouse. ;) Still it was different than what I saw on the messed up system as I could still use the classic desktop without issue and there was no failure of networking and/or internet. LOL! I had a tough time actually getting to tablet mode as it seems to automatically disable itself if there is more than one display. Unplugged my second display and tablet mode was there. This is another reason that I don't think it was actually a mode thing with the problem system, although it could be a factor, as the problem laptop also uses 2 displays.

2) I thought that desktop mode would be the same as the use the appropriate mode on my main system but it was not. On the surface it looked the same but there were things locked out such a the security center.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:37 pm 

As yet another add-on to my last two posts I'm trying an experiment... :shock:

I've applied the May 2020 Windows 10 upgrade to my Windows 10 virtual machine to see if I see any issues with lesser hardware yet everything seems to work fine.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:41 pm 

Sigh, problem computer solved.

Still does not explain the loss of the DVD and wireless (wired still worked) but seeming to be locked in tablet mode makes sense. I didn't know but the thing has a touch screen which would make it want to use tablet mode when tablet mode is set to 'appropriate mode for my hardware'. Problem was that only 'appropriate mode for my hardware' was available with the other two greyed out.

I think that the issue is that the system tried to upgrade from 1803 to 2004 skipping 1903. Found that out when I restored to the previous Windows version contained in Windows.old. Sadly, after the restore it was still locked in tablet mode and wireless and DVD still broken. I used my 1903 install media and upgraded. We now have wireless and DVD but still in tablet mode. This is about the time I discovered it has a touch screen. Happily the tablet mode settings were no longer greyed out so I changed to desktop mode and his classic desktop is now the default with all desktop and Taskbar icons as they should be and all is working well. Actually it turns out that the DVD was never totally dead but only for a blank or movie DVD. I was able to load my 1903 DVD without issue to do the upgrade.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Interesting number of steps you went through. At least you ended well.
Good job.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:13 pm 

BillG wrote:
Interesting number of steps you went through. At least you ended well.
Good job.

Thanks Bill. :) I think that it may have gone easier if I'd realized that the danged thing had a touch screen sooner.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:10 am 
welcoming committee

It is now June 21 and neither of my 1909 systems have updated to Win 10 - V2004. It says my systems aren't ready yet. My systems are running smooth and good at this time.

What are the new bells and whistles in this new version? What are the changes?

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Nothing earth shattering. This article has a pretty good list:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-2004-is-coming-soon-here-are-the-new-features/

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:35 pm 

Well even though my Acer desktop has the update waiting to be installed I'll leave it a bit longer.

I've tried it twice now, the first time when it was first showing and again this weekend. After hitting the download and install button I just leave it to get on with it but keep going in to see how it's going.

When it has finished and everything seems to be ready I can't use the machine, everything is frozen or incredibly slow. The first time it happened eventually I managed to get to the Settings and told it to revert back to the previous version which it did and I put it on pause for a while.

I decided to try again with the same results, clicking on the browser button and nothing happens, thought I'd look in the settings, click on that and it takes a minute before a response and the window shows but then the same slow progress trying to get to any of the settings.

Try a restart, after using the 3 finger salute and eventually being able to get a response, no joy so I decided to completely shut down and waited for a while and turned the machine back on, it seemed a bit more responsive so as I didn't have time to mess about with it any longer shut down again till this morning.

It was still playing up this morning so decided to again go back to 1909, clicked on the button to go back to previous version and even that box froze and said along the top it was not responding. :roll: I left it to it and when I went back a little time later it was going through it's starting up process as if I'd just turned it on, a bit later and all's well and I'm back to 1909.

I didn't have trouble like this when I upgraded my HP laptop from the slow lane in December last year. I've still got my Asus laptop to do but that will need a few updates before I know if that's ready for the upgrade or not as I've not turned it on for quite a while.

There is still hubby's Toshiba laptop to do and his desktop which is the same make and model as mine, I bought them both at the same time when we needed new computers. I'm putting off looking at them for as long as possible, if I'm finally able to upgrade my Acer I'll then look at hubbies.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Could this be related to your performance issue with 2004, Joan?
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/malwarebytes-causing-performance-issues-in-windows-10-2004/

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:13 pm 

sboots wrote:

Sigh, sometimes I sort of feel left out. :( I really just don't get why I never seem to see issues experienced by others. I mean I am running the version of MBAM in question with no issue in Windows 10 ver 2004. I actually try, in my Windows 10 virtual machine, to create the issues and cannot do so. :dunno: I just don't get it.....

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:01 pm 

sboots wrote:

It's possible Steve, I've just been to check and the machine is running MWB Premium version 4.1.0.56 but my update package is 1.0.25869 and component version is 1.0.931 but that is dated today.

I only have MWB and Defender running on all my machines so when I get the chance I'll try disabling the ransomware protection and try the upgrade again, not sure when it will be so may not be able to give you any news for a few days.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:03 pm 

jaylach wrote:
sboots wrote:

Sigh, sometimes I sort of feel left out. :( I really just don't get why I never seem to see issues experienced by others. I mean I am running the version of MBAM in question with no issue in Windows 10 ver 2004. I actually try, in my Windows 10 virtual machine, to create the issues and cannot do so. :dunno: I just don't get it.....

Don't feel too bad Jay I used to feel like that but this has broken the record for me, I'll get it sorted out eventually. :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:38 am 

OK reporting back, yesterday I went into Malwarebytes and set it to the Beta version but left all the protection in place, I then shut the machine down for the night.

This morning I turned the machine back on and after checking a couple of things I went into Windows Update and told it to download and install the upgrade. After everything was done and it was at the browser window telling me to check what was new, I closed that and shut the machine down completely, as if it was finished for the day.

I've not long turned it back on and everything seems to be running as it should be, I had no problems or slowness getting into Settings to check it was at version 2004 and then opening up Edge and coming here.

I'll see how things go for the time being but if it carries on as it is now it seems that going the Beta way with Malwarebytes solved my problem with this upgrade on this machine. I will keep it in mind when I come to upgrade the other 3 machines here later, thanks for finding and providing the link Stephen I really ought to find the time to visit that forum again, it's been years since I've been there so don't know if my membership is still valid. :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:55 am 
Site Admin

That's great news, Joan!
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, I guess it is my turn with a version 2004 problem. I got the notice that it was time, so I told it to go ahead and download & install. It took almost 2 hours because of my slow DSL. Then it started the process of updating my computer and telling me not to turn it off. When it got to 100% completion, I suddenly got the message "Undoing changes made to your computer". Further investigation yielded the error "failed to install" (0xc1900101). Sure enough, at that point my computer was reverted to version 1909.

A little later I was again informed that 2004 was available, so it is now in the process of again installing. I'll check back after supper.

Any ideas what caused this issue?

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows