Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: My Windows 7 Today
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:46 pm 
welcoming committee

It has been about 2-1/2 months now since MS dropped support for Windows 7 Pro and my experience so far without the aid of MS has been incredible. I have installed all the programs that I wanted and Windows 7, in my opinion, runs a bit better than it used to. I made a mistake and installed AVG for protection. It currently says that I have 1467 issues that need to be fixed and if I send them a bunch of money, they will take care of it. The issues keep climbing according to AVG but the computer continues to run flawlessly.

My speed test using IE is 65.35 Mbps Download and 7.70 Mbps Upload. It is somewhat less using Chrome. I also installed MS Edge but do not like it and never use it. I made Chrome my default browser because IE has a few issues running some of the programs.

I will probably continue to use Windows 7 Pro as long as I can but will have a look at Microsoft"s New Windows 12 or whatever if they release a new version.

Post subject: Re: My Windows 7 Today
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:26 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I wish that you would have picked Avast instead of AVG for your anti virus. AVG bundles other software such as 'Tuneup' which is probably what is actually reporting the 1467 issues. If you were to send them the payment the fix would include registry fixes which are not a good thing. Do NOT do so! Also remove all the AVG browser extensions as they are reported to actually make you less safe. Here is a link with instructions as to how to 'trim down' AVG yet still have the anti virus/malware functional.
https://www.howtogeek.com/289789/how-to-get-rid-of-avgs-notifications-and-bundled-software/

In my virtual machines I use Avast in Windows XP (which is also not perfect as, at least the free versions, is reported to send your system info back to Avast). In my Windows 7 virtual machine I still use Security essentials. While Windows 7 has reached its end of life Security Essentials for Windows 7 is still active. It won't update the actual software but continues to supply anti virus/malware updates. I just tested to be sure and opened my Windows 7 virtual machine and did an update on Security Essentials signature update. It went fine.

You have to understand that there are very few cases where free software is really free. In most cases the free software will include other software that will either try to scare you into actually buying something like AVG or track what you do to target ads like Avast. Personally I prefer Avast for my virtual machines but you will probably be as safe as possible with AVG on Windows 7 if you exactly follow the instructions in the above link.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:49 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I wish that you would have picked Avast instead of AVG for your anti virus. AVG bundles other software such as 'Tuneup' which is probably what is actually reporting the 1467 issues. If you were to send them the payment the fix would include registry fixes which are not a good thing. Do NOT do so! Also remove all the AVG browser extensions as they are reported to actually make you less safe. Here is a link with instructions as to how to 'trim down' AVG yet still have the anti virus/malware functional.
https://www.howtogeek.com/289789/how-to-get-rid-of-avgs-notifications-and-bundled-software/

In my virtual machines I use Avast in Windows XP (which is also not perfect as, at least the free versions, is reported to send your system info back to Avast). In my Windows 7 virtual machine I still use Security essentials. While Windows 7 has reached its end of life Security Essentials for Windows 7 is still active. It won't update the actual software but continues to supply anti virus/malware updates. I just tested to be sure and opened my Windows 7 virtual machine and did an update on Security Essentials signature update. It went fine.

You have to understand that there are very few cases where free software is really free. In most cases the free software will include other software that will either try to scare you into actually buying something like AVG or track what you do to target ads like Avast. Personally I prefer Avast for my virtual machines but you will probably be as safe as possible with AVG on Windows 7 if you exactly follow the instructions in the above link.

Thanks for all that info Jay. It is the AVG tune up thing that wants me to make lots of changes. It comes on about once a week but I just X it out and do not run it because all it does is say it can fix all my problems if I send money. Security Essentials is on and set to run automatically at 2am on Sundays. It says my computer is up to date and all is ok.

When AVG expires, I will remove it and get something else. Any thoughts on my best options?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:02 pm 

I would just run Security Essentials. From what I can it looks like it will be supported until sometime in 2023. Other than that I'd suggest Avast.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:59 pm 
welcoming committee

I have an older desktop that runs Win 7 and Win 10 in dual mode. With Win 7, I use Avast and have never had any issues with it. I also use the paid version of Malwarebytes.

I also have an even older desktop running Win 7 and Avast.....again no issues/problems.

And finally, on my primary Win 10 desktop computer, I run Windows XP in virtual mode. On the virtual machine, I also use Avast with no issues/problems.

IMHO, AVG use to be a good anti-virus utility, but then they expanded into all the bloatware, and they have now lost their focus.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:03 pm 

Years ago I used to run NOD32 anti-virus software and another program which at this time I can't remember the name of, I know that used to run at start-up as well keeping an eye on what was going on. That was when I ran Windows 98 and then XP.

I can't remember exactly when but for years now I've been using MalwareBytes, the paid version, although I started with the free version, at first with Windows Security and moving on to Windows Defender plus what common sense I have.

All machines now, all 5 of them, run Windows 10 with Defender and MalwareBytes, and through all the versions of Windows I've run which includes, 98, WinME, XP, Vista, 8, 8.1 and 10, I've, fingers crossed, never had any problems with any of the nasties out there.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:22 pm 

At one time I ran Eset's NOD32 and it is fine. I just don't see a reason to pay for the base AV protection when there are free alternatives that are fine. Malware Bytes I'm willing and happy to pay for but not my base protection when there are free packages like Security Essentials, Defender and Avast.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:33 pm 

I know at some point during my time with Windows I ran SuperAntiSpywareBlaster, I think that was its name although it might not have had the Blaster on the end.

I have 2 Lifetime Licenses for MalwareBytes so have it installed on all my machines.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:42 pm 

I thought that I had two lifetimes for MBAM but actually only hove one which means that I have to pay for two. I go with the 2-year subscriptions as it's cheaper that way.

On their site they call 'SuperAntiSpywareBlaster' 'SUPERAntiSpyware'. They DO have a free version but it does not have real time protection just like MBAM's free version.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:23 am 

Yes, it was the free version I used, I also started out with the free version of MalwareBytes before paying for it.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:05 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I would just run Security Essentials. From what I can it looks like it will be supported until sometime in 2023. Other than that I'd suggest Avast.

Looks like I will choose Avast when the time comes.....as for right now things are sailing right along without any problems with just Security Essentials running. Thanks Jay to you and the others who have responded.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:59 pm 

No worries. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows