Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:09 am 
welcoming committee

Hi All, This just started happening last evening and will give you this link that I found relating to the same issue: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71485-Straight-to-BIOS-at-startup-why.

I saw a post on this page that I tried, disabling secure boot and fast boot but the change didn't save, maybe I did it in the wrong order but I wanted to ask here first where the professionals are before trying anything else.

Is there a function key combo that works in Asus for safe mode? I know F8 works in Dell but not sure about Asus or even if that would be helpful.

Any ideas anyone? Can't use this new laptop without eliminating this bios issue and I just installed the Office365. Thanks for any ideas!!! and PLEASE STAY SAFE!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:31 am 
Site Admin

What is the model number for your Asus laptop?
Reading the thread you referred to, does yours *never* get past the BIOS? If you choose Restart from the BIOS screen does Windows load at all? If not, then I doubt that Safe Mode will be able to be accessed. A PC booting to BIOS suggests a hardware issue.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:50 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Along with it info for Steve...

When you attempt to disable fast and secure boot in your BIOS are you actually selecting to save and exit or are you just forcing a re-start? The save and exit in the BIOS is usually the right most tab.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm 
welcoming committee

I just lost connection using Opera and lost all screens without Opera asking if I wanted to close all screens like it has before, do you have any way to recover what I typed the last hour?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:29 pm 

Sorry but there is nothing that I can do as to getting back what you typed.

As you are having issues and can't be sure that it won't happen again I would suggest that you highlight everything you've typed and then copy frequently. Then, if you lose connection again, you can paste back what you've copied.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi, maybe you can delete the above reply but after restarting multiple times, I did get the desktop long enough to change my desktop image from the 18xx or 16xx etc size image to a smaller one thinking maybe this was the issue. It's been about 30 mins with the new reboot and its at the new smaller image desktop background and its stable, no messages regarding changing configuration like I received earlier and took me to bios again.

If there is something else I should retype if I can remember, just ask. So far so good. No change to bios done except to re-enter the current date each time, just swapped background image (Bing backgrounds). So far its 1 hr and longer than it took for the last configuration message.

Is it possible a too large of a background image can cause a computer to not boot correctly and affect bios? I'd heard this in the extreme past about too large of a background size with other windows version like 95-98 but wasn't sure if its still possible to affect bios.

Thanks Steve and Jay for your help! I may not be out of the water yet but it does look good, still a normal boot. katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:41 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

As you are having issues and can't be sure that it won't happen again I would suggest that you highlight everything you've typed and then copy frequently. Then, if you lose connection again, you can paste back what you've copied.

I sure will from now on Jay!!!!!! I see now in Editor there IS a save draft option so will remember that!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:00 pm 

katy98 wrote:
jaylach wrote:

I sure will from now on Jay!!!!!! I see now in Editor there IS a save draft option so will remember that!

Yes, in the enhanced editor, you are able to save a draft. I've used it on occasion but normally just do a copy.

I doubt that an image larger than the desktop size would cause the issue you have/had.

I question what reads like you have to enter the time each time. That sounds like a bad battery. I don't mean the laptop battery but the nickle sized CMOS (if it is still called that) battery that keeps BIOS settings stored. That would explain having to enter the time and, also, BIOS setting changes not being saved. I'm not even really sure that a battery is involved with a UEFI BIOS but my UEFI motherboard has one so I must assume that it still applies.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:15 am 
welcoming committee

Last evening when ready to shutdown I noticed the bios screen was up again. So I forced shutdown with power button. This morning I was looking to see how the battery is removed (turned laptop upside down) and when I was done I turned on laptop with power button and it booted correctly again. And this morning I did NOT re-enter the date since the date there was today.

I remember both times the Asus booted corrected I had just turned the laptop upside down and then up again. Not that this is solving this because if I'm lucky the laptop will work the rest of the day and probably end the day with the bios screen again. Just can't figure out why.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:37 pm 

Hmmm, I suppose it is possible that the hard drive is not seated properly and turning it over shifts into place... or a memory stick for that matter.

You should still be under warranty. You might want to contact Asus support.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:58 pm 
welcoming committee

After it booted, a few minutes later a message, from Asus I assume, again said some configuration needed to be done and this time when it rebooted, it went to desktop. I ran to take a pic with phone but was too late; now keeping phone handy. Now I'm just waiting for more bios screens but I have a feeling this last configuration may have done the trick. Crossing fingers!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:18 pm 

Just to be sure whether you have an old type BIOS or UEFI when in the BIOS can you use your mouse? If so it is UEFI. If it goes to the BIOS again look through the tabs to see if there is an option to update the firmware on-line. If so, try it.

Also, are you actually being taken to the BIOS settings or is it just the config screens. Just want to be sure that we are looking at the same thing.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows