Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Some friends have both a Win 10 computer and an old Win 7 computer. They would like to keep using the old Win 7 computer for off-line stuff, like Word documents, Excel worksheets, and games that reside on the computer. They will not be using it for internet connections and email.

Just to make sure they don't forget and try to go online using the Win 7 computer, I am recommending that they turn off and/or uninstall Internet Explorer and Windows Live Mail. Are there any other Windows 7 features that they should uninstall or turn off?

If I go to Control Panel>Programs and Features>Windows Features, there are other features that I don't fully understand.

One last question. Is turning Internet Explorer off the same as uninstalling IE? If not, how do they actually uninstall IE?

Thanks in advance...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
First off you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer in Windows 7 as it is actually part of the operating system.

If the Windows 7 system is on a wired connection unplug the wire. Also go to Device Manager and disable all network adapters. This will make the system totally unable to access the internet. Disabling the network adapters through Device Manager covers any possible wireless adapter or someone plugging in a cable to get a wired connection.

Please note that the above option would also disconnect the system from any network setup between the systems.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, thanks for the response; Their Win 10 computer is the one hardwired to the DSL modem and the router. Their Win 7 computer accesses the internet via the router's wi-fi, so it is not hardwired.

Good advice about disabling the network adapters via Device Manager. I had not thought of that. But then I don't earn the big bucks like you do, lol.

OK, I understand that I can't uninstall IE because it is part of the Win 7 operating system. But if I turn IE off as described in my previous post, will it stay off or will it automatically reinstall on a computer restart?

And what about their Windows Live Mail.....anyway to make it disappear?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 pm 

As to Live Mail just go to the Control Panel the Programs and features and uninstall live Mail.

I don't understand what you mean about turning Internet Explorer off. To my knowledge there is no option for such a procedure. If there is an option to do this through Windows features I've never noticed. If that is an option it would not hurt but the other recommendations would deny IE from the Internet anyway. Still it not bad to add all the possible layers. ;)

Since the Windows 7 system is wireless there is another possibility. If the router is decent there should be parental control options within the router settings. If so just block the Windows 7 machine from internet connections through the Parental controls. You would need to search the router manuals for info as to how to log in and block the Windows 7 system through parental controls. Disabling the network adapters through Device makes this not really needed but would add another layer of protection. The parental control thing should be done before disabling the network adapters.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:27 pm 

As an Add-on I just looked at my Windows 7 virtual machine and through Programs and features/Windows features you can turn off IE. A Windows 7 install disk MAY be needed to do this .Couldn't hurt...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:29 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm not familiar with their router, but parental control is another good idea that I will explore with them.

To turn IE off, go to Control Panel>Programs and Features>Windows Features, and then clear the the IE check box. But I think that I read someplace that IE will be reinstalled when the computer is restarted.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:04 pm 

bbarry wrote:
But I think that I read someplace that IE will be reinstalled when the computer is restarted.

All I can suggest is to try and see what happens...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:53 am 
welcoming committee

I think that checkbox just removes IE from the start menu and any desktop shortcuts, it doesn't delete it.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:05 pm 

dvair wrote:
I think that checkbox just removes IE from the start menu and any desktop shortcuts, it doesn't delete it.

I believe that you are spot on with that David. Still, removing links/shortcuts to IE, would remove the temptation to use it. Regardless IE being there is a minor factor if the network adapters are disabled in Device Manager.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:32 pm 
welcoming committee

I will be visiting with my friend on Friday, at which time I am going to implement all the good suggestions that Jay provided. I will also clear the IE checkbox and then restart his computer to see of IE is reinstalled.

Thanks for all your inputs.....

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:35 pm 

Just remember that even off-line the system could become vulnerable. While this is probably not likely to happen, if someone plugs in a flash drive or memory card that is infected there will be nothing to protect the system. Don't know what security is on the system but it will get no new infections updates. The longer this goes the more problematic this may become.

BTW, there is some good news for people staying with Windows 7. Even though the OS has reached end of life Security Essentials will continue to be supported.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, my friend uses Security Essentials and the paid version of Malwarebytes. However, since we are rendering his computer impotent as regards internet connections, he will not be able to download and install Essentials updates.

In addition to implementing all your other safeguard suggestions, I will have my friend do the following:
- Put 3 layers of duct tape over all the USB ports, along with a little sign saying 'Do Not Enter'
- Remove the CD/DVD player

:mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:44 pm 

Ignoring the added safeguards... :rofl2:

If there is a system that is not covered by MBAM paid you can go to the account menu within MBAM and deactivate the license. Now that license can be applied to another system.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:58 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Ignoring the added safeguards... :rofl2:

If there is a system that is not covered by MBAM paid you can go to the account menu within MBAM and deactivate the license. Now that license can be applied to another system.

That's good to know about MBAM paid, because my sister uses it on her Win 7 computer. She will be visiting me next month, at which time she will purchase a new Win 10 computer that I will help her configure while she is here. She will be bringing her old computer, so I will use that to see how much time is left on her MBAM license; if there is a significant amount, I will do as you suggested.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:33 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:

I decided to try this on my old Win 7 computer.

David, that's exactly what clearing the checkbox did.....removed IE from the start menu and removed the IE desktop shortcut.

Importantly, the checkbox remained clear when I did a restart, and the IE shortcut did not reappear.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows