Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, I got myself into a pickle. Remember the friend of a friend who had his laptop hacked so he bought a new Win 10 laptop? Well, I got volunteered into setting the new laptop up for him. During this process it asked for a Microsoft Account, but it wouldn't let me enter a new one and it wouldn't let me continue with the setup until I did. So out of desperation, I just used my Microsoft Account name and password. At that point, the setup completed and the laptop is up and running.

However, here is my problem. If I go to Settings>Your info on my computer, it shows my name but his email address. And if I go to Settings>Your info on his laptop, it shows his name but my email address.
We are both shown as Administrators.

What is the easiest way to get out of this mess and correct both Microsoft Accounts? Is there a way to delete these Accounts on both computers and generate new ones? Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:57 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Never ran into this but here is what I'd do. BTW, you could have bypassed the Microsoft account and set for a local account. Hmmm, you can still do that. Here is how:

On the friend's machine...
1) Go to Start then Settings then Accounts then Your info.

2) Select "Sign in with a local account instead".

3) Follow the prompts and save. Can't remember if you actually need to save but think it will want you to "Sign out and finish".

The system should now be set to log in locally, not using a Microsoft account. The option is to set up a Microsoft account for the friend and use the info from that account.

On your system...
Just go to your Microsoft account and change the email to yours.

You could create new accounts on both systems which would not be a big deal on the friend's system but you would need to copy any data from your old account to the new. Probably not a lot of data to move as I believe that you use a different data drive.

Personally I prefer a local account. I switched to all local accounts the first time I changed the wallpaper on one system and it changed the wallpaper on the other two systems. :mrgreen: Didn't know that I could control such things at the time. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:06 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, the steps you outlined for his computer worked just fine. But on my computer I don't have the option of going Local. And when I go to my Microsoft Account, my email address is correct. But on the Your Info page, it still shows my name and his email address. And I don't see how to change it on that page.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:41 pm 

A System Restore may help but I'm not sure.

Anyway try the following. Go to Email & accounts under Your info and see if both your and the friend's emails are listed. If so click on the friend's email and then Manage. Now just delete the account.

If only the friend's email shows click on Add an account and re-enter your email according to type. You would probably select Other account on the first step. Enter the email info and finish through. Now go back and delete the friend's email.

Attachment:
emails.jpg
emails.jpg [ 88.85 KiB | Viewed 4933 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:17 pm 

Make sure to see the post above if not already done.

I have a concern that your system MAY want you to log in with the credentials from the friend's system if you do a reboot. Make sure that you have them handy and reboot to check.

Also, if logging with a Microsoft account on all Windows 10 systems, you may also have this issue with the other systems.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I found out that if I did a System Restore, I would have to reinstall Microsoft Office for Home & Student 2016, which I really don't want to do. And which I really don't understand.

Then as I was seeing what to do next per your post, I suddenly received a Notification that said my Microsoft Account was messed up and did I want to fix it (or words to that effect). I said yes, then entered my Account name and password, and son-of-gun, my problem was fixed. I still log in with a Microsoft Account, but my email address now appears below my name instead of my friend's. And I have my friend's laptop on Local.

Thanks for your support. I guess try as I may, I will never understand some of Microsoft's weird ways of doing my business.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:14 pm 

Glad that it's fixed. :)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:58 am 

Actually something still bothers me here. Of course I'm happy that you are now OK but one possibility I suggested you could not do on your system; that being to change to a local account on your system, not your friends.

Of course there is no reason for you to change to a local account but it bothers me that you seemed to not have the option to "Sign in with a local account instead".

I went ahead and changed to a Microsoft account ( and changed back to local after ) to check it out and you should have the "Sign in with a local account instead" option. Please look at the following image and let me know whether or not you do or do not have the option. It is under settings/accounts/your info.

Attachment:
emails-2.jpg
emails-2.jpg [ 78.85 KiB | Viewed 4920 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:05 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, where you have 'Sign in with a local account instead', I have 'Stop signing in to all Microsoft apps automatically'. Other than that, our Your Info screens are identical.

I also thought it strange that I didn't have the Local option, but I didn't pursue it since everything was now working on both computers.

What are your thoughts now?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:51 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, this is off topic and probably belongs in the Security forum. However, I am posting it here since it pertains to my friend's new laptop that we have been discussing. Feel free to move it if you want.

I ran into another strange phenomenon this morning. My friend's new HP laptop came with the O/S that Microsoft calls 'Windows 10 S'. This S mode is suppose to be super secure, but it has two stringent requirements:
(1) The only browser you can use is Edge
(2) The only apps you can install are those available from the Microsoft Store. So this precludes programs like Firefox and Malwarebytes, both of which I wanted to install for my friend.

A user can switch out of S Mode to the standard version of Windows Home, but then you can never switch back in.

So my current thinking is to leave my friends laptop in this S mode and have him learn how to use Edge instead of Firefox. But then I can't install Malwarebytes, at least at this time. However, by using this S mode and Defender, Microsoft makes it sound like that is all the security one needs. Supposedly MBAM is working on an S mode version, which maybe I could install later.

Does that sound like a good security plan for my friend who is not very computer-literate?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:48 pm 

The 'S' in Windows 10 S pretty much stands for 'School'. It is a Windows mode designed with schools in mind. Not only must you use Edge but you also cannot change search engines.

You also cannot go to the store and buy Office and have it install. You must use the Microsoft Store.

Yes, you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro but it is only free for schools. Anyone else has to pay $50.00 USD. There may be some other devices that will upgrade for free but most will not.

If the friend is OK with the restrictions leave it as is for now. If the person is OK with it as it is why spend the probable $50.00 to upgrade? Leave it alone until the time comes when he cannot install something that he needs. I could not stay with 10 S myself and either could you. In your case you could not run VirtualBox. In my case I would not be able to run my web editing stuff or my video stuff.

It is probably OK as to security as it is as it seems to run in a sand box.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. I think I will leave it as is. My friend is not a heavy computer user.....primarily email and internet websites.

There is no cost to switch out of S mode to Home, but if you switch to Win 10 Pro I guess that's where the $50 comes in.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:20 pm 

From what I just read Microsoft MAY have changed the upgrade policy to where Windows 10 S can be upgraded to 10 Home or Pro for free but I'm not totally sure. The language is kind of vague.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:34 pm 
welcoming committee

I know the upgrade to Home is Free; actually, they call it 'switching out of S mode'. And my friend doesn't need Pro. He doesn't even do word processing, spreadsheeting, photos, or anything like that. As I am finding out, he does only email and internet (and Facebooking, which I don't do).

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:36 pm 

Going back up to the not seeing the ability to go to a local account on your system...
viewtopic.php?p=24482#p24482

If I ran Microsoft accounts between my systems I'd probably see the "Stop signing in to all Microsoft apps automatically" that you do. That is the link that you would click to switch to a local account. I don't know what things you would need to change after clicking that link but am pretty sure after changing you would then see the "Sign in with a local account instead".

The thing is that I'm just not going to set my systems to all use a Microsoft account and linking log-ins to prove this. I DID change my main system to use a Microsoft account to make sure of the procedure to change to local but, since you have been happy with your systems being on Microsoft accounts, I just don't see the sense of changing all my systems to prove the above. It isn't really that big of a deal to do the test as I'd only have to do 2 systems if even that but, unless you actually have a desire to switch to local accounts, I just don't see the need. If you really want to switch to local I'm willing to do the procedure tests.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:16 pm 
welcoming committee

No Jay, don't bother with it. I'm happy using Microsoft Account. This fiasco started because I used my Microsoft Account credentials on my friends laptop. I did this because I reached a point where I couldn't go forward with the setup until I did. I probably unknowingly caused this block. But all is now well.

Initial setup was kinda interesting. As soon as I powered up the laptop, I heard Cortana's voice saying in essence "follow me and do as I say", and she then instructed me on each step to follow. As I was waiting for some of the steps to finish, she would say "Thanks for your patience". Since I don't hear a woman's voice around my house very often, I decided to go with it, lol.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:38 pm 

Ya, that is something I don't like about the Windows 10 setup. There two cases that come to mind that I don't like...

1) The account setup: They want you to use a Microsoft account but, on that page, there is an option to NOT use a Microsoft account. In other words it would be a local account. The thing is that the link to not use a Microsoft account is VERY small and easily not seen. This MAY be different when setting up Windows 10 S but I doubt this.

2) Telemetry settings during setup: There is a screen that wants you to use the suggested setup options which enables ALL telemetry settings for everything. The thing is that there is also a link to the left that is very small to allow you to setup your telemetry options all in one group. It is MUCH easier to set your telemetry options at this point than after Windows 10 is fully done.

In both cases the thing that bothers me is that the the option that is contrary to Microsoft's preference is so small in relation to Microsoft's desired choice. Yes, it is totally legal and everything as the option is there. It just bothers me that the optional choice is not as obvious as Microsoft's preferred option. Most people that buy a computer do not have the knowledge to really look at install screens, they just want it done. I truly wish that there was a Federal Mandate that made it mandatory that such options be made fully disclosed and equally displayed during such setup processes.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:48 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Ya, that is something I don't like about the Windows 10 setup. There two cases that come to mind that I don't like...

1) The account setup: They want you to use a Microsoft account but, on that page, there is an option to NOT use a Microsoft account. In other words it would be a local account. The thing is that the link to not use a Microsoft account is VERY small and easily not seen. This MAY be different when setting up Windows 10 S but I doubt this.
Yea, the option to not use a Microsoft Account was probably there but so small that I missed it. So to move forward I thought I had no choice but to use a Microsoft Account
2) Telemetry settings during setup: There is a screen that wants you to use the suggested setup options which enables ALL telemetry settings for everything. The thing is that there is also a link to the left that is very small to allow you to setup your telemetry options all in one group. It is MUCH easier to set your telemetry options at this point than after Windows 10 is fully done.
On my friend's computer, I turned off all these telemetry options except for one (can't remember which one that was).
In both cases the thing that bothers me is that the the option that is contrary to Microsoft's preference is so small in relation to Microsoft's desired choice. Yes, it is totally legal and everything as the option is there. It just bothers me that the optional choice is not as obvious as Microsoft's preferred option. Most people that buy a computer do not have the knowledge to really look at install screens, they just want it done. I truly wish that there was a Federal Mandate that made it mandatory that such options be made fully disclosed and equally displayed during such setup processes.
I guess being old school, I long for the days when Microsoft kept it simple and less invasive. But I was thankful that his HP didn't load his computer desktop with a lot of garbage. Even McAfee was presented as a free one-month option that you could easily decline.

Again, thanks for all your help during this process.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:14 am 

As to telemetry I turn off pretty much everything except location for weather and maps. Of course you cannot turn off the diagnostics telemetry.

I turn the stuff off more out of spite than any concern of anything personal being sent.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:06 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Going back up to the not seeing the ability to go to a local account on your system...
viewtopic.php?p=24482#p24482

If I ran Microsoft accounts between my systems I'd probably see the "Stop signing in to all Microsoft apps automatically" that you do. That is the link that you would click to switch to a local account. I don't know what things you would need to change after clicking that link but am pretty sure after changing you would then see the "Sign in with a local account instead".
Jay, you were correct. When trying to install a program from the Microsoft Store on my friend's computer, I had to open him a Microsoft Account. And immediately thereafter, his Your Info page showed him signed in using his Microsoft Account. At that point I clicked on the "Stop signing in to all Microsoft apps automatically" and his Your Info went back to Local Account, where I left it.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I don't know why I got the double posting. I tried to delete one, but that didn't work.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, I don't know why I got the double posting. I tried to delete one, but that didn't work.

I don't know why you get the double postings either. Nor do I know why you can't delete one as I just did without issue. You DO see the 'delete' button on the posts, right? Ahh, This is in admins and mods forum. I just looked at the mods permissions for that forum and saw that it was set to Standard which means a normal user. I switched it to full access so you SHOULD now be able to delete in the admins/mods forum.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you Kind Sir. And yes, even with my poor eyesight I saw the 'delete' button.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:21 am 
welcoming committee

On my friend's new laptop, I want to completely automate the downloading and installation of Windows Updates, including any required Restart outside his active hours. It is not clear to me exactly how to do this. I can see how to change active hours, how to pause updates for 7 days, how to view update history, etc. But I can't see how to fully automate the update process.

Maybe the current default is full automation such that I need not worry. Is that true, or am I missing something?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

On Windows 10 Home, the default is "full" automation. I qualify "full" because some updates will require a restart initiated by the user, but usually the restart will happen eventually if the user doesn't take action. The exception to this would be the major feature upgrades -- they typically have required the user to agree to the installation.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows