Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:17 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
While it does not show on the Windows 10 download page(still at 1903) version 1909 is now available through Windows Updates.

If you go to Windows Updates and it does not show do a Check For Updates and it should. This is a quick one and is done in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 pm 

Got it here on my machines in the last few days, I think it's a few new features added on to 1903 as, if you look after the install it shows a date that it was installed quite a time before the actual install.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:42 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Either earlier this year or late last year I read that this would likely be the new Windows 10 version upgrade method. The spring upgrade would be the one to add all the "nifty and often not wanted" new apps and features. The fall upgrade would not totally re-install Windows 10 as has been the case in the past but just fix issues and enhance some things from the spring upgrade. To get a good idea of what the upgrade to 1909 actually does read the following article. I found it informative.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/220060/windows-10-version-1909-review

This is partly speculation pieced together with things I've read and is not covered in the above article. Yes, the 1909 feature upgrade is more of an update than an upgrade but not for all systems. If you are running Windows 10 version 1903 or an earlier 1909 Insider's build this package will seem no different than a monthly cumulative update. However, if running a Windows 10 version earlier than 1903, it will be like a spring upgrade totally re-installing Windows 10 to bring it totally up to date.

As a note I have installed this update on both my desktops, laptop and virtual machine without issue. LOL! I think my laptop getting long in the tooth as the update went quicker on the virtual machine on my main system than on my laptop. Here is how it went with my different systems as to time. These are estimates as I didn't really time things.
Main system -- 3 minutes, probably less, closer to 2 minutes (no longer state of the art but still a beast).
Second system -- 10-12 minutes (it's an old dog ;) ).
Laptop -- Probably 7-8 minutes (laptop is 8-9 years old running an early I5 CPU).
Virtual machine running on my main system -- ~5 minutes (It is using 4 of my 16 CPU cores).

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:27 pm 

I have no idea how long it took on the machines here, I still have to switch my Asus laptop on so that can get it but all the others have it. That's the 2 Acer desktops, Johns Toshiba laptop, my HP Laptop and that Asus when I turn it on, they were all running the 1903 version.

I'll have a read of that article when I have a few minutes spare.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows