Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Recall that in this thread, my Windows Media Player Library got messed up with a Win 10 update
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2214#p23676
I finally got the problem corrected via the 4 steps outlined at the end of this post.

Well, two hours ago I did the latest Quality Update (KB4524570) for my Win 10 Version 1903 system, and guess what....the Windows Media Player Library got hosed again. Thankfully all my many albums are still contained in My Music folder, so hopefully I can recover my Library.

Any ideas on why this seems to frequently happen when I do an update?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:30 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
By any chance do you have Media Player running during the updates?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:30 am 
welcoming committee

WMP has never been effected by any updates for me.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:39 am 

dvair wrote:
WMP has never been effected by any updates for me.

Me either David but I've seen issues with updates on other systems that I didn't experience on my own before.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:51 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
By any chance do you have Media Player running during the updates?

No, it was not actually running during the update.....it was in the Pause state. The WMP icon resides on my taskbar, where it remains in the Pause state until I click on Play.

Now that I have had my 2nd cup of morning coffee, I'm getting ready to see if I can restore my WMP Library like I was able to do last time. Very frustrating.........

EDIT: Before I tried the restore steps from last time, I did a little more internet research and found this helpful article. And it worked, although I had to restore some of the album cover art.
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/windows-7/how-to-rebuild-your-windows-media-player-12-library/

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:38 pm 

Glad you got it BB but I'd like to figure out why this happens to you although, sometimes, there just isn't a real answer...

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Me too, Jay. But I figured out the solution, not the problem. And this is twice now that my WMP Library has been messed up immediately following a Win 10 update.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:15 pm 

Too late now but I'd love to know if removing the update cures the issue.

Is Media Player normally running when you do updates?

Is your music library on your system drive (C:) or a separate data drive?

Go back to services.msc and right click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service again. Instead of clicking to disable select Properties. You will probably find that the startup type is set to automatic. Change that to manual. Setting to manual is a bit misleading as you don't actually need to start it yourself if it is needed. It just means that it won't start until it is needed. This MAY help but we won't know until you do another update and even then it won't be any real proof.

Actually, if you don't share your WMP library with other devices through a Homegroup, you can select disabled instead of manual for Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. This service is only necessary for Homegroup Networking. Since Windows 10 does not have Homegroups..... I don't know if it is needed for other network types or sharing.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:24 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Too late now but I'd love to know if removing the update cures the issue.
I actually thought about doing that, but I didn't.
No, it stays in the Pause mode.
Is your music library on your system drive (C:) or a separate data drive?
Drive C
Go back to services.msc and right click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service again. Instead of clicking to disable select Properties. You will probably find that the startup type is set to automatic. Change that to manual. Setting to manual is a bit misleading as you don't actually need to start it yourself if it is needed. It just means that it won't start until it is needed. This MAY help but we won't know until you do another update and even then it won't be any real proof.
It was on Manual before, and it stayed on Manual.
Actually, if you don't share your WMP library with other devices through a Homegroup, you can select disabled instead of manual for Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. This service is only necessary for Homegroup Networking. Since Windows 10 does not have Homegroups..... I don't know if it is needed for other network types or sharing.
No, I don't share my Library with other devices through HomeGroup. I have occasionally copied music files from my Music folder to a flash drive. Several weeks ago I also copied some of my music files from the Music folder to iTunes so I could load them on my iPhone. But the iPhone copy was done long before my Library got messed up, and I had used WMP many times after that.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:40 pm 

bbarry wrote:
jaylach wrote:
No, it stays in the Pause mode.

Do you mean that Windows Media Player is open but paused? If so actually close it before doing updates. Even if Windows Media Player is paused it is still running if the app is open. It is usually best to close all apps when doing updates.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, it was open but paused. It stays that way all the time if not in play mode. I typically listen to music when I am at the computer.

But if I forget to close a program before an update, Windows usually flags it and then says I can force a close (but save my data). WMP is never one of the programs that Windows identifies, so I have never worried about it.

But if I remember maybe I will close it next time. BIG QUESTION - if I close WMP, what happens to my WMP Library?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:27 pm 

Nothing should happen to your library when Windows Media Player is closed. Every time that you restart your system (without an update) Media player is shut down with no apparent issues to your library. However, even though the restart dialog does not list it, Media Player has been forced to close if open on a restart.

While a forced close of Media Player should not affect the library my concern is that it is open during the applying of the updates. While this is just supposition I THINK it possible that certain updates that affect the HTML, Search and/or the Media Player Network service/s could corrupt the Media Player Library database if Media Player is open. The solution that you found to re-build the database at https://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/windows-7/how-to-rebuild-your-windows-media-player-12-library/ would tend to support my thinking as it is forcing Media Player to create a new library from scratch.

The reason that I also include the HTML and Search services is that it is necessary that they be running for the WMP networking service to run.

<edit>
To give a bit of credence to my thinking I just searched and part of what KB4524570 affects involves Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge security. This would point to a likely possibility that it affects the HTML service. Since the HTML service is needed for the Media Player network service to run properly it does not prove but tends to support my thinking.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows