Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Got a super big message from MS today that said on Jan 14, 2020 Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows 7 and They recommend backing up your files to ease the transition..........kinda sounds like they are saying "Save Your Stuff" cause we're moving out and Windows 7 is going with us.......Ease the Transition? What does that mean?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Just trying to get you to upgrade your OS. As has been said Windows 7 will continue to run after its end of life, it will just no longer get patches and updates.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Just trying to get you to upgrade your OS. As has been said Windows 7 will continue to run after its end of life, it will just no longer get patches and updates.

Upgrade Huh? I have two Windows 7 Pro Computers that are perfect the way they are....really, they are both super fast, one has MS Word and the other has Libre Office. My only concern at the moment is the third Windows 7 Pro Computer that you were helping me with. I got it to boot up and do a clean install of Windows 7 but it does not see or recognize my Comcast Router. I think its missing a driver but I don't know what its for or how to get it.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:34 pm 

Look at Device Manager to see if there are any devices that show as unknown. Control Panel => Device Manager. You are probably missing the drivers for your network adapter. If that is the case just go to the manufacturer's site and download the network drivers that apply to the machine. Download the drivers to a flash drive and then install on the system in question.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:45 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Look at Device Manager to see if there are any devices that show as unknown. Control Panel => Device Manager. You are probably missing the drivers for your network adapter. If that is the case just go to the manufacturer's site and download the network drivers that apply to the machine. Download the drivers to a flash drive and then install on the system in question.

Hi Jay....took me forever to find the driver for Windows but I finally got it. There are still some issues but my clean install of windows 7 pro is up and running. There are still a couple of things in the device manager that need drivers but one really funny thing, I can now click on Mozilla and open Computer Haven but it can't find you on IE. Thanks for your help.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:55 pm 

If there are other devices that need drivers just download and install all available Windows 7 drivers from the manufacturer's site.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:53 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If there are other devices that need drivers just download and install all available Windows 7 drivers from the manufacturer's site.

Will give that a try. Its working good so far. There are 117 important updates. Better get that done before the fly away.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:57 pm 
welcoming committee

I just saw this statement on the internet:
Microsoft will allow users of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise to extend their Windows 7 security updates through January 2023.

Does anyone know if this is a fact? If it is, how does a user obtain such extended support, or will it come automatically?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:12 pm 

bbarry wrote:
I just saw this statement on the internet:
Microsoft will allow users of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise to extend their Windows 7 security updates through January 2023.

Does anyone know if this is a fact? If it is, how does a user obtain such extended support, or will it come automatically?

It is and isn't true. Microsoft IS extending free security update support through the end of 2020 but only for federally certified voting systems running Windows 7. Other enterprise systems can pay for support through January 2023.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2019/09/20/extending-free-windows-7-security-updates-to-voting-systems/

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-extends-windows-7-security-updates-election-systems-through-2020

A third party security outfit named 0patch has also announced that it plans to provide "micro-patches" for Windows 7 past the end of life.
https://blog.0patch.com/2019/09/keeping-windows-7-and-windows-server.html

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows