Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 10 Clipboard
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi everyone.....bit of trouble with the clipboard on Windows 10. I opened Microsoft Word, copied and pasted a picture and some text into the word document and saved the file but it shows the clipboard as empty when I click on the windows logo and V. It does place the word document onto the clipboard if there is no picture. Any thoughts on why this wont work with text and an image?

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Clipboard
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:24 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Can you expand a bit on what you are asking? I'm not sure that I really understand...

For instance I question your reference as to using the Windows key + V to paste. The proper key sequence to paste would be CTRL + V. If I press the Windows key + V it just shows a dialog saying that the clipboard history is empty. That is due to my having history disabled.

If I understand what I THINK is happening there should be a link to turn on clip board history in the dialog that shows the clip board history as empty. Clicking to enable history MAY solve your issue.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:42 am 

To add to Jay's post, the sequence would be ctrl + c to copy what you want to place on the clipboard then ctrl + v to paste onto where ever it is you want to put it.

I believe that you can now have more on the clipboard than was possible in earlier versions of Windows.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:38 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Can you expand a bit on what you are asking? I'm not sure that I really understand...

For instance I question your reference as to using the Windows key + V to paste. The proper key sequence to paste would be CTRL + V. If I press the Windows key + V it just shows a dialog saying that the clipboard history is empty. That is due to my having history disabled.

If I understand what I THINK is happening there should be a link to turn on clip board history in the dialog that shows the clip board history as empty. Clicking to enable history MAY solve your issue.

Hi Jay.......Let me run this by you again and see if I can clarify. I am trying to create a word document and place it on the clipboard and "paste" it from the clipboard to wherever I want.

I went to Settings>System>Clipboard where it first tells me that when I copy or cut
something in Windows, it is copied to the clipboard for me to "paste"

Then still in settings under "Clipboard History", it says that I can save multiple items to the
clipboard to use later. It goes on to say that I can press the logo key + V to view the clipboard history and "paste" from it.
It also allows me to turn the history on or off. I turned it on.

Then I opened a word document, typed some text in it and added a picture, and highlighted the text and the image then right clicked on it and copied it. This placed it on the clipboard with only the text and not the image. I have tried doing everything but I end up with just the image or the text separately on the clipboard but not the two together.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:53 pm 

OK, I tried what you are trying and it worked fine.

Try these things.

1) If you are dragging the image to Word try using the "Insert->Picture" option from Word's top menu bar.

2) Try using "CTRL-C" to copy instead of right clicking to copy and "CTRL-V" to paste.

3) When you leave Word after creating the document make sure to select "Yes" when asked if you want the clipboard available to other apps when you leave Word.

The above is how I do it. Personally I find 2) easier as I'm already using the keyboard anyway.

Keep in mind that the view clipboard history will only show text but, if you select the text to paste, the image is included in the paste even though it does not show in the history. I THINK this is to condense things so the history list is not so likely to get overly long and cumbersome.

I also tried doing it as I listed and then pasting to WordPad and it also worked.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
OK, I tried what you are trying and it worked fine.

Try these things.

1) If you are dragging the image to Word try using the "Insert->Picture" option from Word's top menu bar.

2) Try using "CTRL-C" to copy instead of right clicking to copy and "CTRL-V" to paste.

3) When you leave Word after creating the document make sure to select "Yes" when asked if you want the clipboard available to other apps when you leave Word.

The above is how I do it. Personally I find 2) easier as I'm already using the keyboard anyway.

Keep in mind that the view clipboard history will only show text but, if you select the text to paste, the image is included in the paste even though it does not show in the history. I THINK this is to condense things so the history list is not so likely to get overly long and cumbersome.

I also tried doing it as I listed and then pasting to WordPad and it also worked.

It wont work either way for me. The minute I touch the Control Key, the text or the image that is on the clipboard closes......also got another one for ya......How do I keep the top tool bar open all the time? It never shows unless I touch the top of the screen.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:22 pm 

Allyson wrote:
It wont work either way for me. The minute I touch the Control Key, the text or the image that is on the clipboard closes......also got another one for ya......How do I keep the top tool bar open all the time? It never shows unless I touch the top of the screen.

First the top menu in Word or any Office app. Just right click on any empty space along the mini menu and uncheck the option to "Minimize the ribbon".

I think I now see the problem with your pasting from the clipboard history. From the history display you don't use the "CTRL-V" way of pasting. You just click on the history element that you want and Windows will automatically do the paste.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:30 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Allyson wrote:

First the top menu in Word or any Office app. Just right click on any empty space along the mini menu and uncheck the option to "Minimize the ribbon".

I think I now see the problem with your pasting from the clipboard history. From the history display you don't use the "CTRL-V" way of pasting. You just click on the history element that you want and Windows will automatically do the paste.

Yes Yes Yes...….just clicking on the history element automatically does the paste and it does show the text and the image.

As for the top tool bar, I was not speaking specifically about Word or office docs, it was just web pages in general and I found out the tool bar was on auto hide so everything is ok after I unchecked that feature. Thanks much for your help.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:37 pm 

YW. :)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:12 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
YW. :)

I'm Back. On Windows 7 I have a desktop shortcut to clear the clipboard, a double click on that shortcut and the clipboard is cleared. I would like the same thing on Windows 10 Pro. I looked around on youtube and other places but could not make anything work. Is it possible to create a shortcut to the command file that "clears all" on the clipboard?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:49 pm 

Without searching the easiest way would be to just hit the "Windows key-V" option then click on the hamburger menu on any listing and select to clear all. The hamburger menu is the three horizontal dots.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:50 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Without searching the easiest way would be to just hit the "Windows key-V" option then click on the hamburger menu on any listing and select to clear all. The hamburger menu is the three horizontal dots.

Yeah, those three horizontal dots. I want a shortcut on the desktop to the one that says "clear all". Also need a desktop shortcut to the control panel. I have a single folder on my desktop named "Shortcuts" and any shortcuts I create, I want in that folder. On my windows 7 computer I have a shortcut folder like that with about 55 shortcuts and since they are alphabetical and each having unique icons, its much easier for me to find what I want.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:01 am 
welcoming committee

Old Control Panel is here : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
Just go there right click it and choose the send to desktop as a shortcut option.
I keep a shortcut to it right in my taskbar.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:00 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Old Control Panel is here : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
Just go there right click it and choose the send to desktop as a shortcut option.
I keep a shortcut to it right in my taskbar.

Got it dvair…….thanks for your help.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:45 pm 

While I have found info on how to create a shortcut to clear the clipboard history it does not seem to really work as I would expect in Windows 10.

If you want to try it right click on your desktop and select to create a new shortcut under the new option. For location copy and paste the following and click next. Enter the name you want for the shortcut and finish.

%windir%\System32\cmd /c echo off | clip

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows