Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Got a new Windows 10 Pro computer and would like to know how to turn off updates.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:16 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Use the same app I advised for your previous system's Update issues.
https://filecr.com/windows/wu10man/
Use the "Direct Download" link to the right.

I recommend to set to notify instead of disabled.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

And I recommend that if you are *not* having any issues with the new computer, then leave the automatic updates setting alone as it is the best option for most users. :-)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Never mind WinAero Tweaker as it looks as though they removed the option to set Updates to notify. Instead use the same app I advised for your previous system's Update issues.
https://filecr.com/windows/wu10man/
Use the "Direct Download" link to the right.

Again I recommend to set to notify instead of disabled.

Where can I see what updates 10 wants to download and install before it does it??

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:40 pm 

You would go to Start Button->Settings->Updates & Security.

Also the Notification icon to the right of the clock in the Taskbar will let you know that there are updates available.

Keep in mind that Windows 10 is not Windows 7 where you could "hide" Updates. Notify in Windows 10 will let you decide when to do the updates but, when you decide to do, everything listed is going to download and install. What I recommend to people that don't want Updates fully auto is to set to Notify and wait about a week after they appear before doing. This gives a bit of time for any bugs associated with an Update to be found and fixed. If you go with Notify in Wu10man make sure to select to notify of downloads and install, not download and notify of install. This will assure that you get the most recent version of the update when you choose to do.

All that said I agree with Steve that fully auto is the best for most users but, with the issues you had on your previous system, I understand your hesitation. Just keep in mind that the issues with your previous system were likely caused by the system not being fully able to run the later versions of Windows 10, not the updates themselves.

Just curious as to what antivirus you are going to run... I recommend staying with the built in Windows Defender but adding Malwarebytes Premium.

Did you get a laptop or desktop? If you don't mind; I'd be curious as to the make and model of what you purchased.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You would go to Start Button->Settings->Updates & Security.

Also the Notification icon to the right of the clock in the Taskbar will let you know that there are updates available.

Keep in mind that Windows 10 is not Windows 7 where you could "hide" Updates. Notify in Windows 10 will let you decide when to do the updates but, when you decide to do, everything listed is going to download and install. What I recommend to people that don't want Updates fully auto is to set to Notify and wait about a week after they appear before doing. This gives a bit of time for any bugs associated with an Update to be found and fixed. If you go with Notify in Wu10man make sure to select to notify of downloads and install, not download and notify of install. This will assure that you get the most recent version of the update when you choose to do.

All that said I agree with Steve that fully auto is the best for most users but, with the issues you had on your previous system, I understand your hesitation. Just keep in mind that the issues with your previous system were likely caused by the system not being fully able to run the later versions of Windows 10, not the updates themselves.

Just curious as to what antivirus you are going to run... I recommend staying with the built in Windows Defender but adding Malwarebytes Premium.

Did you get a laptop or desktop? If you don't mind; I'd be curious as to the make and model of what you purchased.

I have a DELL OPTIPLEX 790 DT Desktop Computer, Intel Core I3-2100 3.1GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB, DVD, WIFI, HDMI, VGA, Bluetooth 4.0, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit. It is version 1809. I ran updates and thought it might change to 1903.
I have not installed anything yet........no anti virus other than Windows Defender

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:07 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
And I recommend that if you are *not* having any issues with the new computer, then leave the automatic updates setting alone as it is the best option for most users. :-)

Hi Steve......I do have some issues but they are not related to updates. The biggest one at the moment is not being able to browse for my own program "Paint Shop Pro" to open jpeg or jpg files. There is no option to browse for PSP and make it the default like there is in Windows 7.

2nd problem is one that we talked about before and that is to stop windows 10 from saving "Recent Files". I tried following the instructions Jay gave me before but the displays seem to be different in this version of Windows 10.

3rd queston: I have version 1809....will that change when the 1903 update is installed? Do I have to use "update assistant" to do it?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:45 pm 

I assume that you have installed PaintShop Pro. If not you need to install. To be legal you will have to remove it from the previous system or get an additional license. Once installed just right click on a JPEG or JPG file and select to open with". At the bottom of the options will be an option to choose another app. Select PaintShop Pro if listed or browse to the app and select. Select to always use this app and just double clicking on a JPG or JPG file will open PaintShop Pro. It has been quite a while since I've installed PaintShop Pro but I think that you can set these file associations during the install.

Eventually Windows 10 version 1903 will probably install through Windows Updates. If you want to get it done and over with go to the following link.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You can click on "Update now" and let it do the upgrade through the internet. Personally I prefer to use the "Create Windows 10 installation media" a physical DVD install media.

As to saving recent files I'm not really sure that you can turn that off but you can turn off their display. Open File Explorer and click on file, select options. Under the General tab uncheck both options under Privacy.

If you mean to show This PC instead of Quick Access just go to File Explorer->View->Options. Use the "Open File Explorer:" pull down menu to select This PC.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:06 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I assume that you have installed PaintShop Pro. If not you need to install. To be legal you will have to remove it from the previous system or get an additional license. Once installed just right click on a JPEG or JPG file and select to open with". At the bottom of the options will be an option to choose another app. Select PaintShop Pro if listed or browse to the app and select. Select to always use this app and just double clicking on a JPG or JPG file will open PaintShop Pro. It has been quite a while since I've installed PaintShop Pro but I think that you can set these file associations during the install.

Eventually Windows 10 version 1903 will probably install through Windows Updates. If you want to get it done and over with go to the following link.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You can click on "Update now" and let it do the upgrade through the internet. Personally I prefer to use the "Create Windows 10 installation media" a physical DVD install media.

As to saving recent files I'm not really sure that you can turn that off but you can turn off their display. Open File Explorer and click on file, select options. Under the General tab uncheck both options under Privacy.

If you mean to show This PC instead of Quick Access just go to File Explorer->View->Options. Use the "Open File Explorer:" pull down menu to select This PC.

Thanks Jay. I was able to make PSP the default, also turned off the recent files display. I was just curious about updates and how that worked. I disabled updates after making the above corrections, computer is working fine now. I will probably add anti virus program before going on line with 10. I know you will not agree with disabling updates but if "It Aint Broke, don't fix it" works for me.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Good to see that Jay was able to help with your questions.
As for disabling updates -- security updates are pushed to fix things that are broken. Not installing updates related to security puts the computer at increased risk. Feature updates, like the change from 1809 to 1903, are not critical at first, but eventually the older version will no longer be supported. There is no rush to perform these upgrades and these are the ones most likely to cause issues on older computers. It is not a bad idea to delay a feature upgrade a little while. Disabling all updates is a bad idea. The risk of a problem from an update is truly minuscule.
As for Antivirus, you already have one with Defender on Windows 10. Some Third party antivirus programs are way more likely to cause problems than Windows Updates. ;-) Jay's advice is to add Malwarebytes, but to keep Defender as your antivirus program.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:43 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Good to see that Jay was able to help with your questions.
As for disabling updates -- security updates are pushed to fix things that are broken. Not installing updates related to security puts the computer at increased risk. Feature updates, like the change from 1809 to 1903, are not critical at first, but eventually the older version will no longer be supported. There is no rush to perform these upgrades and these are the ones most likely to cause issues on older computers. It is not a bad idea to delay a feature upgrade a little while. Disabling all updates is a bad idea. The risk of a problem from an update is truly minuscule.
As for Antivirus, you already have one with Defender on Windows 10. Some Third party antivirus programs are way more likely to cause problems than Windows Updates. ;-) Jay's advice is to add Malwarebytes, but to keep Defender as your antivirus program.

Thanks Steve.......I probably wont be going on line with my windows 10 computer for several months. Right now I have quite a few programs to install and check to see if they run ok in Windows 10 Pro. One more question though. Is it possible to clone my existing windows 10 hard drive?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:32 am 
Site Admin

It is possible to clone a drive. You'll need a program to do that. Are you looking to clone the drive on the new computer before installing programs?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:41 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
It is possible to clone a drive. You'll need a program to do that. Are you looking to clone the drive on the new computer before installing programs?

I would like to do it asap so that it is not all cluttered up with programs. What program do you recommend for doing it?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

There are many options. The one that I have settled on is actually available as a free version:
https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

Here is a tutorial on the process:
https://www.easeus.com/support/todo-backup/disk-clone.html

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:35 am 

I use the free version of Macrium Reflect on my laptop to do backups onto an external portable hard drive. On my desktop I have a paid version of Acronis True Image which sends a backup to an external hard drive that is permanently attached so it's on a weekly schedule.

I have Windows 10 Home on my computers and always allow Windows Update to do its thing. Of course the main ones are the security fixes and they definitely want installing, when it comes to the feature ones I've found they don't get offered until the machine is obviously ready for them, it can be a few months before I see them but I'll let them install when they are offered.

My machines now all came with Windows 10 and I've not had any major problems and even when I upgraded machines in the house from Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 8 I never had trouble.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:57 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
There are many options. The one that I have settled on is actually available as a free version:
https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

Here is a tutorial on the process:
https://www.easeus.com/support/todo-backup/disk-clone.html

Thanks Steve..........troubles keep rolling my way. I have several Microsoft Programs that won't install without Net Framework. I thought net framework was on the new computer but apparently not. Can you tell me what version to download for Windows 10 Pro and the best download site to get it?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:06 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
I use the free version of Macrium Reflect on my laptop to do backups onto an external portable hard drive. On my desktop I have a paid version of Acronis True Image which sends a backup to an external hard drive that is permanently attached so it's on a weekly schedule.

I have Windows 10 Home on my computers and always allow Windows Update to do its thing. Of course the main ones are the security fixes and they definitely want installing, when it comes to the feature ones I've found they don't get offered until the machine is obviously ready for them, it can be a few months before I see them but I'll let them install when they are offered.

My machines now all came with Windows 10 and I've not had any major problems and even when I upgraded machines in the house from Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 8 I never had trouble.

Thanks for your input Joan. Does that backup thing you use include the entire operating system or just the day to day changes?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:35 pm 

Any image or clone backup will be an exact copy of the drive/s on which it is done including the operating system and all data if everything is on the same drive.

Just to clear things up there is a difference between an image and clone.

Clone: An exact copy of the source drive to the second drive. The destination drive can be swapped with the source drive and it will boot to what the system was when the clone was made.

Image: As with a clone this is an exact copy of the source drive but is not bootable. You have to use the imaging software to restore the image. If Windows will boot from the original drive the restore can be done through Windows. If Windows will not boot the restore can be started from a boot CD that can be created via the imaging software.

From the descriptions it would seem that a clone would be the easiest method but a clone has some drawbacks. Any time you want to make a new clone you would have to go through the whole process again manually.

While, from the description, it may seem that doing image backups is not as good as a clone but this may not always be the case. The thing about imaging software is that you can set up a schedule to do image backups on a regular basis. My main and second systems do automatic image backups daily to an internal drive. The advantage with this is that, if my system goes south, I restore an image backup and the system is exactly the same as the previous day.

In either case you will need another hard drive to hold the clone/image.

The easiest way to get framework would be to turn Updates back on. They will come through, I believe, as optional updates. Other than that we would need to know which version of frameworks is needed for each program to give links to the downloads.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Allyson wrote:
Thanks Steve..........troubles keep rolling my way. I have several Microsoft Programs that won't install without Net Framework. I thought net framework was on the new computer but apparently not. Can you tell me what version to download for Windows 10 Pro and the best download site to get it?

.Net Framework downloads should always be obtained from the Microsoft downloads, not 3rd party sites.
There are many versions of .Net Framework and programs will require specific versions. What programs are you trying to install? What version of .Net Framework is each reporting as a requirement for install?

Version 4.8 -- https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48
Version 3.5 -- https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net35-sp1

It is unlikely that you would need earlier versions, but both of the above can be on a PC at the same time, depending on the requirements of the installed software using them. If you don't need 3.5, then only install the latest, 4.8.

-steve

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:33 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Allyson wrote:

.Net Framework downloads should always be obtained from the Microsoft downloads, not 3rd party sites.
There are many versions of .Net Framework and programs will require specific versions. What programs are you trying to install? What version of .Net Framework is each reporting as a requirement for install?

Version 4.8 -- https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48
Version 3.5 -- https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net35-sp1

It is unlikely that you would need earlier versions, but both of the above can be on a PC at the same time, depending on the requirements of the installed software using them. If you don't need 3.5, then only install the latest, 4.8.

-steve

It won't install Microsoft Expression Web 2 and Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Pro. It's looking for net framework 4.8 so I will download that and see what happens

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:16 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:

-steve

Looks like it needed 3.5 as well so I down loaded that then got an error message 0x80073712 saying that it was unable to install 3.5. It said the component store has been corrupted..........so in the process, I had to turn "updates" back on and at the moment, it is updating to Windows 10 version 1903...very slow going, will add more when its done.

Finished updating ......almost 2am so going to bed. It is now Windows 10 Pro Version 1903. Will try updating Expression Web tomorrow.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 am 
Site Admin

See this article for 3.5 -- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows-10
Specifically, how to enable it:
"Enable the .NET Framework 3.5 in Control Panel
You can enable the .NET Framework 3.5 through the Windows Control Panel. This option requires an Internet connection.

Press the Windows key Windows Windows logo on your keyboard, type "Windows Features", and press Enter. The Turn Windows features on or off dialog box appears.

Select the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) check box, select OK, and reboot your computer if prompted."

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:22 am 

Hubby's laptop got upgraded to 1903 yesterday and it was a long install on that. The laptop is one that a client bought him, it's a Toshiba and came with Windows 7, it's only used for their accounts and the payroll program that's needed so I don't usually touch it and hubby hadn't said anything about upgrades so thought I'd better check his machines.

His desktop was already up to version 1903 and he said that there was something when he went to shut down one night so he let it do its thing to download then switch off and he turned it on next morning then left it and it carried on and put him up to date.

The laptop was a different matter, that was still at 1803 and I know that is out of support this November so thought I'd better sort out getting it up to date.
I thought it would do the 1809 version but when I checked for updates it offered 1903 plus another download so I set it in motion. Must have been about 16:30 when I clicked it to start the download and it must have been about 3/4am this morning when it had actually finished. I'd gone to bed but it must have been just after 3 when I got up and had a look and it was showing installed at 57% then when I looked again probably about 1½ hours later everything had finished and the screen was black so I switched it off at the wall.

Hubby turned everything on this morning and it was obviously OK, he said he had the screen that you see after an upgrade with tips and whats new etc. I haven't actually had chance to go and look at it yet so hopefully his programs still work, or he'll be complaining at me for doing it, even though he said to go ahead. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:19 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan,
It is normal for all programs to continue working after an update. It is rare when a program will no longer work unless it is a very outdated program
As for the time it takes to do the update, this depends primarily on a couple of things which are: the speed of the disk drive, the clock speed of the computer. Both of these things are often on the slow side in a laptop. I installed a SSD in my laptop so my update only took 5 hours. Now that includes the download and install.
Glad to hear that everything looks OK so far.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:46 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
See this article for 3.5 -- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows-10
Specifically, how to enable it:
"Enable the .NET Framework 3.5 in Control Panel
You can enable the .NET Framework 3.5 through the Windows Control Panel. This option requires an Internet connection.

Press the Windows key Windows Windows logo on your keyboard, type "Windows Features", and press Enter. The Turn Windows features on or off dialog box appears.

Select the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) check box, select OK, and reboot your computer if prompted."

Got it installed Steve.....also was able to install Microsoft Expresson Web 2, Microsoft Expression Encoder, and Microsoft Office 2007. Having a hard time creating a shortcut on the desktop for Microsoft Office 2007

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows