Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:20 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
bbarry wrote:
Thanks, Jay. I did check the hard drives/USBs, and they are still not allowing the computer to be turned off. So I am scratching my head and looking elsewhere.

If the device settings are all intact I really just don't get it. You might want to check the power settings on other devices such as the network adapter and audio. Also make sure that the ability for the device to be turned off is disabled directly through the mice and keyboards tabs in Device Manager, not just the USB settings. With turning off the device disabled under the USB settings the mouse and keyboard setting should automatically match but make sure.
Jay, I did just that, and sure enough under Human Interface Devices there were six USB Input Devices that were checked to allow the computer to turn off to save power. I have no idea what these six devices are, but I unchecked the boxes. None of my other devices had the power management boxes checked.
I can't remember, do you allow the system to go to sleep? If so try disabling sleep mode in Power Settings. Usually with laptops but I have seen sleep mode cause issues in the past.
No, my system never sleeps, primarily because of my IP remote cameras that stream animal video to by computer 24/7.
Again I can't remember. Does this happen on any other system that is basically setup the same?
My other two older desktop computers are not set up the same way, with all the application/utility 'stuff' hanging off of them like on my primary computer. So they don't ever exhibit this problem, at least to my knowledge. But they don't stay on 24/7, and I seldom use either of these two computers. Also, one of these two computers is still running Win 7, and the other is in dual mode with Win 7 and Win 10.
Thanks for your help, Jay

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:27 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Well let's hope that the change to the Human Interface Devices does the trick. How many cameras do you have? I'm going to guess that you have six and the cameras are the six Human Interface Devices you mentioned. ;)This issue seems isolated to your system and what makes the system different than normal is the camera setup. After all the cameras ARE input devices.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:52 pm 
welcoming committee

I do have six IP cameras, but they are all wireless cameras. When I first set them up, I do have to use an Ethernet cable to my router. But after this initial configuration, they are wireless. At no time do they have a USB connection.

The drivers for the six USB Human Interface Devices are all furnished by Microsoft, circa 2006. And I didn't install these six cameras until 2019.

So I think it's just a coincidence of six versus six. Which means I still don't know that the six Human Interface Devices are. I don't use any special mouse, controller, joy stick, etc. I only have one Logitech mouse, one Logitech keyboard, and just one human, lol.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 pm 

You still should turn off the option for the six devices to be not be turned off. Even though they connect through your router they can still be seen as USB devices.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:37 am 
welcoming committee

The driver is dated 2006, it has nothing to do with when you actually installed the item.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:03 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, I guess I don't understand. My cameras are wireless and never had anything to do with USB (to my knowledge). But I did turn the option off on these six devices.

David, I understand that the driver may be older than the device. But in 2006, this type of camera did not even exist, so how would Microsoft have known?

If not my six cameras or my one mouse or my one keyboard, what might these six USB Human Interface Devices be???

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:35 am 
welcoming committee

The driver is not specific to a device , just a generic USB driver. USB Drivers have not changed much, heck I have a couple of Intel drivers for system components that have 1968 as there dates. So the dates sometimes don't mean a lot.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:47 am 
welcoming committee

David, do you have any idea what these USB devices might be? Like I said, my six IP cameras were never connected to a USB port. And to my knowledge, the only Human Interface Devices I have are my Logitech Mouse and Keyboard. I have no touchscreen, joy stick, or anything of that nature,

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:52 pm 

I still think the devices are your cameras.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Could be, but that just doesn't make sense to me since they have never dealt with USB. I guess then that I just don't understand USB.....not surprising since there are a lot of things I don't understand.

So if I power one or two of my cameras so as to take them off line, would that then reduce the number of Human Interface Devices showing up in Device Manager? If so, I'm willing to put that to a test.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:30 pm 

Powering off may not be enough but should be. It would be a good test.

Even though the cameras are not actually USB it is quite possible that Windows selected a generic USB driver as the best way to communicate with the devices.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:47 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
David, do you have any idea what these USB devices might be? Like I said, my six IP cameras were never connected to a USB port. And to my knowledge, the only Human Interface Devices I have are my Logitech Mouse and Keyboard. I have no touchscreen, joy stick, or anything of that nature,

I started typing this earlier but something messed up and I had to go to work.

If you open the Device Manager and right click the HID item and select properties. Select the Details tab, there is a drop down box. Look for "Bus Reported Device Description", this should tell you what the device is. My Battery backup is one and my wired webcam is another listed as USB Input Devices.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:50 pm 
welcoming committee

I wonder how Windows communicates with my wi-fi capable truck sitting in my garage, i.e., what generic USB driver did it assign?

I will try the power off test later today. If the cameras are powered down and no longer sending a signal, I don't understand why you say that might not be enough. If one of my cameras actually malfunctions and I throw it in the trash, are you saying that it might still show as one of my six HIDs? If so, then I REALLY don't understand USBs.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:10 pm 

Just curious as to this but are the cameras 100% wireless or can they accept a memory card? If they can accept a card that is your answer as to why they would show as USB.

As to still being seen even if powered off my printer shows and the card reader on the printer shows as a USB drive even if powered off. Will your camera still show if turned off? Being wireless I doubt it as it won't be able to send a signal but, especially if it can accept a memory card, it is not impossible. Most devices today are never totally off unless you remove the power source including backup batteries.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, David. I would never have figured that out. My six USB input devices are: Keyboard (in there twice), weather station dongle, CyberPower battery backup, and two USB receivers (I assume these are my two USB hubs).

What is disturbing to me is that all six of these devices allowed the computer to shut them off to save power. I mean, no wonder my system was frequently hanging. Hopefully this problem has been fixed now that I've unchecked the boxes.

So they had nothing to do with my IP wireless cameras, and I'm glad I didn't power them down (I might have then missed a fox running by, lol).

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, these cameras do not use/accept memory cards. And like I just explained in my answer to David, my six IP cameras were not the problem.

EDIT: And these cameras have no battery backup. Mine must all be plugged into a/c outlet. That, unfortunately, is why I must keep them close to my house instead of putting some way out in the woods.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:13 pm 

Well glad you got your answer even if I was totally wrong. ;) LOL! I would have bet dollars to donuts that it was the cameras just due to the numbers matching; six cameras, six devices.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:17 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, Jay, for as long as I've known you, I've never known you to be wrong. And you have helped me with SO MANY things, that you are entitled to one wrong :cboy1:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, another reason you are entitle to this one wrong is that you were the one who put me on to investigating the HID settings. And sure enough, all allowed the computer to shut them off to save power. So that meant that the computer was shutting down my keyboard and my wireless mouse (since its dongle is plugged into one of my USB hubs), among other things.

I just wonder when and how all six of these devices got the box checked to do this? Hopefully, now that I have unchecked the boxes, my system will quit hanging.

Truth be told, just like before, I think Windows is checking the boxes via some of the updates. I certainly don't try to conserve power or go into sleep mode.....I leave my computer on 24/7 for my six IP cameras. However, as you have recommended, I do shut it down occasionally just to blow out all the cobwebs.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Yeah, my keyboard has 3 entries due to having HotKeys. They are actually listed as their device names though, not using the generic USB Input Device titles.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:30 pm 
welcoming committee

David, my keyboard is actually listed both places.......as its device name and as an HID. But when it is listed as its device name, it is shown only as a generic keyboard. But when it is listed as a USB Input Device under HID, it is listed as what it actually is - a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:56 pm 

I just checked the HID tab in Device manager on my main system and there are 18 of the things. In most cases the option to let Windows turn off is totally disabled, greyed out. However, listings related to my 2 mice (yes, I have two mice on the system), keyboard, game pad and headset were all checked to turn off. Yet, under the keyboard and mouse tabs, turning off was disabled in all cases. I wonder which grouping would have preference... I also wonder if being enabled in one group and disabled in another could cause a conflict.

OK, why do I have 2 mice? The simple answer is for simple games like Yahtzee. If there are 2 playing it is just easier if each can have their own mouse. :mrgreen: Since the second is a spare mouse why not put it to use? ;)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, just to complete our discussion of my six cameras. These cameras are marketed as Security Cameras. The brand name of mine is Foscam, and I purchased them at Amazon. They stream wireless video to my computer 24/7, but all of mine require a/c power. They don't utilize memory of any type. I use a software program called Blue Iris that records the video on my computer when there is any motion. That way, I can view only those videos that have motion or action, and I don't have to sit there and look at 24 hours of streaming video.

Then I have twelve cameras known as Trail Cameras or Game Cameras. I have several brands, such as Browning, Bushnell and Covert. These trail cameras are battery operated....typically 8 to 12 AA batteries. They have no internal memory, but they utilize SD data cards. I typically set a 3 or 4 cameras out in my woods each night. Then each morning I retrieve the SD card, insert it into an SD card reader, and then plug this reader into a USB port on my computer to review the video taken during the night. Those videos that I like I save on my computer. For the seven years that I've been doing this, I have saved over 10,000 videos of the animal life around my 5 acres.....this includes deer, fox, raccoons, opossum, armadillos, skunks, squirrels, and many kinds of birds.

Each trail camera will take either video or photo, but I prefer videos. I have my cameras set up to record 10 seconds of video, but only when there is any motion or action (e.g., a raccoon walking by). The camera then shuts off for 5 minutes and waits for the next motion. These cameras record color videos/photos during the day when flash is not needed, but they only record in black & white at night to conserve the batteries.

All this has been a great hobby, especially since I had to give up motorcycle riding.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:51 pm 

I've admired your camera setup for a long time. In fact I've considered getting a camera like one of yours but it just isn't practical as I live in a third floor apartment. Sure, I could put a camera in my window but anything I got would be pretty much an overhead view. I could also place cameras in the wildlife reserve behind my place but they would probably disappear in the pocket of the first person that saw them. ;)

I haven't done it in a long time but I used to use a web cam as home security device. Don't know if they still do but Logitech used to offer free software that made their web cams motion activated.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

I'm quite familiar with the FOSCAM cameras -- they are ideed WiFi cameras and don't show up as devices in Device Manager -- they are network devices connected to the router. I currently have 4 of them, but used to have 9 installed. As the old ones malfunctioned, I've replaced them with different cameras -- I now have 1 Wyze and 2 Reolink cameras.

-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows